Parade Bicycle

Parade Bicycle

I wanted to practice using the modeling tools, and a bicycle has a variety of interesting shapes. The frame was the only really original design element. I have a couple of bikes that I used as references to keep everything in proportion, in the scale of one C3D unit equals 1 meter/1000 millimeters. I omitted some parts that would be useful on a real bike. Details, in approximate order of importance:

Box modeling with bevels: pedals
Box modeling with Symmetry and Subdivision modifiers: frame, seat, stem, forks, crank arms, seat post
Box modeling with Symmetry and Ring modifier: tire treads
Splines with Lathe creator: horn bulb and bell
Splines with Extrude creator: chain ring, chain link unit, logo emblem (with Wrap modifier)
Splines with Sweep creator: handlebars, seat rails, spokes (with Ring modifier)
Cylinder Polygon Object plus tweaking: hubs, hub nuts, bolts, bearings
Tube Polygon Object plus tweaking: rims, seat/handlebar/horn clamps
Very useful: Pose tag on the camera and Target tag on the lights
Simple: using a folder to position and re-scale a multi-part component modeled in a separate file and pasted into the bike file

Two Cheetah 3D strengths that are not apparent to a new user: it is virtually crash-proof, and the online Forum never fails to provide answers to questions. It’s not easy to learn, but it’s the Photoshop of 3D on the Mac, (but incomparably less expensive). Any designer with a Mac should at least try it out.

Attachments

• parade_bike.jpg
    parade_bike.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 705
  • parade_bike_2.jpg
    parade_bike_2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 696
  • parade_bike_3.jpg
    parade_bike_3.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 688
Overall - truly great work. Thanks for all the detail on how the bits were modeled. Those tires look great. And the details on the chain and frame really sell it. Very well done :icon_thumbup: Cheers.

Back