Realistic Planet Earth Part 2: Setup and Rendering

Realistic Planet Earth Part 2: Setup and Rendering

Continued from previous post . . .

earthBrowser.jpg

Setup

The light source is a Distant light rotated to a vertical position and set to an intensity of 1.5. Since a Distant light is assumed to be located at an infinite distance, its actual placement doesn't matter. I moved it a few units above the sphere for convenience.

The three spheres are placed in an earthAxis group so they may all be rotated together. This group in turn is placed in another group, earthTilt, that tips the axis 23.4 degrees.

The earthTilt group shouldn't be rotated, but it can be used to change or animate the position of the earth. The heading or Y (green) axis of the earthAxis group can be rotated to change the rotation of all three spheres, or each sphere can be rotated individually to adjust the relative positions of the surface and the clouds.

The earthClouds material is assigned to the clouds sphere; the earthAtmosphere material to the atmosphere sphere; and the earthSurface, earthLights, and holdBack material are all assigned to the earth sphere.

earthPasses.jpg

Rendering

There doesn't seem to be a good way to combine the earthLights and earthSurface materials so everything can be rendered in one go. So this approach creates three renderings (or render passes) that can be combined in Photoshop or After Effects.

earthProperties.jpg

Base: Enable "Visible in renderer" for earth, clouds, and atmosphere. Make sure the "Tag On/Off" setting is ticked for the earthSurface material, and not ticked for cityLights and holdBack materials. Render and save.

City Lights: Disable "Visible in renderer" for the clouds and atmosphere objects. Untick "Tag On/Off" for the earthSurface material, and tick it on for the cityLights material. Render and save.

Holdback: Same as above, except untick "Tag On/Off" for cityLights, and tick it on for the holdBack material. Render and save.

earth_composite.jpg

Use your favorite image editing application to combine the Base and Lights renderings into a single image. Invert the Holdback rendering and apply it as an alpha mask to the city lights.

Done! Happy New Year.

Sample video, created from four render passes (surface, city lights, clouds, and matte) and composited in After Effects: https://vimeo.com/157920878.

Files: View attachment earth.zip

Last edited:
Awesome tips and workflow. Great detail and "how-to" descriptions. And your results speak for themselves. Great use of public domain assets and customized description on how to maximize in Cheetah. Well done. :icon_thumbup: Cheers.

Remarkable! Thank you so much for so generously sharing this with us.
In the future I'm going to try to plod my way through it and maybe I could make a much simpler cartoon version of it.
Your tut looks excellent but sometimes I still get stuck.

Happy New Year to You.

My Best
Jeanny

Thanks, everyone. I'm hoping to post at least one more soon, so let me know if you have any suggestions.

Jeanny -- A cartoon version would be great fun. If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask.

:D Thanks for your offer to answer any further questions!
I have a bunch of projects started but non of them complete because I Keep getting stuck at one point or another.
Right now I'm still working on an animated Christmas Card that I didn't complete on time for the Holidays.
I'll still work on it for a while to use next year but now I'm so tempted to try your planet tut.

My Best
Jeanny

I'm finishing up the next planet tutorial and wondered what the best way might be to present it. It's longer than this one, and if it takes the same form it will be four parts.

This would be my preference, since HTML presentation works best in a browser, and everything would be on this site and not linked to somewhere else.

Another option is PDF, but those don't work well in browsers. And making PDFs is a lot of extra work. :eek:

A third option would be to begin a new thread with part 1, and add parts 2-4 as replies.

Is posting each part separately inconvenient or considered bad form? Any consensus?

Steve

My suggestion would be to keep it as ONE thread, just enter multiple entries consecutively. That way I can just continue to scroll down the screen or easily click to the next page without having to exit the thread to go find the next thread and click through to that -- just a suggestion.

I love what you're creating - awesome stuff!

The limiting factor is the maximum of five images/files per post. But as long as each reply also allows five then it should work. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Back