Video

Hi.
Placed as a texture attached to plane for example?
Edit: There´s now a script for adding a movie as a texture by Todd in the script section of the forum.

With kindest regards
Frank

Last edited:
It's ok

It's ok. I just got a greenscreen plugin for iMovie so I just put the background green in Cheetah and did the video in IMovie.

Hi,
you can also render a movie with transparent background if that helps. Just uses the "Animation" codec in the movie export window and choose "Millions+" colors.

Bye,
Martin

Suppose I have a series of images that I'd like to be able use to animate a texture (/bumpmap/heightmap/etc) -- would it be possible to use Javascript to swap these over time? I'm looking over the C3D classes and feeling in a little over my head.

Suppose I have a series of images that I'd like to be able use to animate a texture (/bumpmap/heightmap/etc) -- would it be possible to use Javascript to swap these over time? I'm looking over the C3D classes and feeling in a little over my head.

Well, that is possible in C3D, but at the moment, forget doing this with Javascript and Cheetah support. The trick is to use UV mapping, however you may hit some memory limitations. What are your images size (texture, bump, reflexion...) and how many of them do you want to display ?

Martin,
By the way, could it be possible to have a quick fix to get the name of the jas in the title of the Render Manager window ? (It's aimed to be used by a basic Batch tool ;-) )

+
p*

Sorry but movie textures aren't possible yet. Even doing it via Javascript would be more then tricky.

Bye,
Martin

By the way, could it be possible to have a quick fix to get the name of the jas in the title of the Render Manager window ? (It's aimed to be used by a basic Batch tool ;-) )

In OS X normally just the document window has the filename as title. Changing the title of the Render manager window would also collide with some future plans I have.

Bye,
Martin

Sorry but movie textures aren't possible yet. Even doing it via Javascript would be more then tricky.

Do I hear a challenge? why yes I beielve I do.... how many different images are you talking about? would you want them to repeat? and how much disk space do you have? <Gears in head begining to spin now>

hmmmm...
be back soon
Todd

doing it via Javascript would be more then tricky

Ok stop timing me. this is a quick test and includes a couple of things for tg_jp...

first the test video, it is nothing more than a cube with a moving texture. second, the script that does it.

a few instructions on its use
put the script in the Polygonobj folder and restart cheetah
create a material in cheetah- has to be a Material
name the material anything you want, just give it a .mov extention
now find the MatMovie.js - yes I know its an object with nothing in it
the object will scan for all materials that end in .mov
and ask you for the first image in the sequence
it will do this for each .mov texture it finds
the time parameter of the MatMovie object just needs to be animated from 0 to whatever, it will loop if it goes past the end.

there ya go!

have fun and be creative
Todd
p.s
notifiy me if there are any bugs, this was done quickly ;)

Attachments

• texture.zip
    93.9 KB · Views: 324
  • MatMovie.js.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 330
Hello, Tod.

great script, works fine!! and some idea in the script are so clever!!
thanks for sharing.

tg_jp, Hiroto.

Last edited:
Dear Todd

I must missing a trick but I cant get it to work any chance you could post a v simple jas file so I can see what I'm doig wrong

Regards

Luke

luke,

In order for this to work, a movie file must be broken down to a image sequence. seems like quicktime pro has this as part of the export feature. not sure if this can be done without pro as easily.
the image sequnce usually goes something like this
filename 001.jpg
filename 002.jpg
filename 999.jpg - you may have even more images; YMMV
or however many you have. as soon as the script can't find the next expected file name it stops searching

the layout of the jas file used to make the cube movie was just this:
camera
box - material.mov
MatMovie
--------
material.mov

the time parameter of MatMovie was keyed to go from 0 to 247 for the length of the animation.

upon loading the MatMovie object, it searches for any materials having the .mov extention and then tell you what the name of the material is and prompt you to navigate to the folder where filename 001.jpg is located and select it click 'open'
to get the images to update, key the time parameter of the MatMovie object... the time in whole seconds is the image that is shown, so if you have 456 images the time needs to go from 0 to 455 (martin, I would have used an int but ints don't animate over time). if you only have 200 images the animation will loop through the files

the script will also handle more than one material with the mov extention.

hope this helps
Todd

Thanks Todd, This is a great script!! it even works in preview mode! Quicktime Pro works great to convert a movie to an image sequence. Now for some walking people!

Regards,

Peter

PS. would it also be possible to "animate" the transparency channel? I'll try and see what I can find in you script, but you're probably faster :)

Last edited:
Hi Todd,
wow. I wouldn't have had this idea. :icon_thumbup:

(martin, I would have used an int but ints don't animate over time).

You can animate ints but they don't interpolate between the keys. But using a float shouldn't be a too big problem.

Bye,
Martin

Dear Todd

I did all that, but now it works now as I clicked the "P" symbol in the timeline which is a new feature...so a little red faced and ...hey it's a great script

Many thanks Todd

regards

Luke

Fantastic! I was only speculating, but thanks Todd, this is great. As much as anything, I'm finding this helpful in learning more about C3D scripting... just playing around with it, changing colorTex into bumpTex works well for animating the bumpmap. (Perhaps someday there could be a material script type like there are for polyobjects and splines? :wink:)

capnchunky,

actually I am waiting for some certain things to be implimented and then I can do some of my script as a tag where they belong. that include the matmovie and the_sun scripts plus a few others I am working on

Todd

Back