Where are key bindings stored?

Where are key bindings stored?

Hi,

I have a new mac and would like to copy my custom Cheetah 3D Key bindings over.

How can I do this? (the stuff in preferences → keyboard).

Hi,

I have a new mac and would like to copy my custom Cheetah 3D Key bindings over.

How can I do this? (the stuff in preferences → keyboard).

A few people have asked add import export for the shortcuts. So there is no built in way to do it right now. It is stored in your main C3d preference file. The easiest way is to just copy the source plist into the new machine preferences folder. These are stored as XML so you maybe could copy just the entries from the built in plist editor if you want to use a newly created plist. The keys are stored under the MWMKeyboard section.

Ok thanks, and where is that plist file?

HD > User > Your Account Name > Library > Preference > de.wengenmayer.Cheetah3D

Your Library folder may be hidden. I think it comes that way default now on new machines. You can "un-hide" it though. Hope this helps.

ok, on my "old" computer (source computer), I found two files in /Users/Somian/Library/Preferences:

de.wengenmayer.Cheetah3D.LSSharedFileList.plist
de.wengenmayer.Cheetah3D.plist

I put them in put the files in /Users/Somian/Library/Preferences (the username on my new computer is the same).

When I started cheetah 3D, however and go to preferences, for some reason the keys aren'y bound like that.

For example, I assigned the number keys to the various selection mode. (see attached screenshot).

On my new computer, this still comes up empty.

I checked the plist file, however, and it does contain information about the key bindings (second screenshot), so I'm wondering why it doesn't work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 22.48.05.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 22.48.05.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 326
  • low.png
    low.png
    323.8 KB · Views: 321
I guess check and make sure that C3d didn't replace the one you moved with a default copy. You may try to copy the old ones over again into the new folder (make sure that C3d is closed before doing that) and then rebuild permissions. Then open C3d and see if the transfer worked ok or not.

(Rebuild permission are done from Applications Folder > Utilities Folder > Disk Utility > Select your HD on the left > Repair Permissions Button on bottom left.

I've transfered a preference file several times from an older install to a newer one and it's always worked for me. Are you on Yosemite?

Incidentally, here's what my plist looks like in the Property List Editor.

Attachments

• C3d Plist Edit.jpg
    C3d Plist Edit.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 321
That seems to be the problem indeed!

The original file contains the keybindings, but when I copy it over and launch Cheetah3D, it'll overwrite it again x...X

I repaired Permissions, and it only found some QuickTime stuff; nothing Cheetah3D related.

How can I tell cheetah3D not to overwrite the preferences? :/

EDIT: oh, and I'm on 10.10.3

Last edited:
Ok, now it gets really funny o_º

I tried it multiple times and now the Plist in the ~/Library/Preferences definitely contains my key bindings, but for some reason, cheetah3D won't load them and still uses default bindings. On exit, it does not overwrite the plist anymore. waaah

I'm not sure what's causing that. Can you "get info" on the plist and temporarily lock it or make it read only until C3d will not write over it? May be a question for Dr. Martin though.

Ok, I investigated a little more. it seems like Cheetah3D overwrites the Plist file only when I edit the key bindings. For example, I used ";" for "point mode". Then, the plist file was default again, besides the binding for point mode.

Now it's getting really bonkers, though: when I replace the file again (with my proper keybindings form the other computer) and open cheetah3D, it still shows semicolon for "point mode" as I've set it before.

This means, this information is stored in some other place that isn't the plist file? o____º

I think I know what's going on.

OS X seems to cache the plist files.

I restarted OS X after replacing the plist. That worked :)

Thanks for your help!

It's been a few years. I just ran into the same problem again and didn't remember the solution. Good that this comes up when I search for the problem.

Just upgraded to an iMac pro and moved my settings over manually.

Would be awesome of you could use iCloud for this.

Back