a few questions/suggestions

a few questions/suggestions

Hi Martin/Everyone--

I have been lurking in the shadows, watching the development of cheetah and messages on this forum. So far I think it is great.

I have a few questions and suggestions:

1. Was wondering if there is any more documentation about the algorithms used in the build modifier. this is interesting, but i would like to be able to understand and control the parameters better.

2. was wondering if there was any easy way to extrude objects along multiple spline and or polygon paths to give them geometry and and therefore make them renderable. maybe someone has written a script to do this?

3. modo has a really nice feature that allows you to record modelling actions as macros and then replay them. don't know if cheetah has this or you are working on it, but it is definitely something worth looking into.

4. would also be nice to be able to save "selection sets" of polygons..don't know if this funtionality exists yet

in any case, thanks for all the great work on cheetah it is becoming a very nice product

adam

Hi,

1. Was wondering if there is any more documentation about the algorithms used in the build modifier. this is interesting, but i would like to be able to understand and control the parameters better.

sorry but know. I think most of the modifier objects can be learned by simple trial and error. Just move one parameter stepper up and down and see what happens.

A in detail documentation of all algorithms can be very extensive. Alone the subdivision algorithms would take pages. On the other side are these algorithm very well documented in scientific papers which can be found in the web.

2. was wondering if there was any easy way to extrude objects along multiple spline and or polygon paths to give them geometry and and therefore make them renderable. maybe someone has written a script to do this?

A feature like that is already on my todo list. It's just a matter of time.

3. modo has a really nice feature that allows you to record modelling actions as macros and then replay them. don't know if cheetah has this or you are working on it, but it is definitely something worth looking into.

I've seen that in a video and it looks very cool. Recording macros in Cheetah3D isn't possible yet but I have big plans for scripting in the future. Even although I'm not sure if I add such an extensive macro recording feature.

4. would also be nice to be able to save "selection sets" of polygons..don't know if this funtionality exists yet

Every polygon object in Cheetah3D has 16 independent polygon selection which are also polygon tool save. You can chose a polygon selection in the properties editor of each polygon object.

Bye,
Martin

suggestion/thks!

thks Martin!

glad to hear that you are adding to scripting functionality/efficiency...this will definitely take cheetah to an even higher level....anything that you can do by the way to impliment something of maya's "expression" system would really be great

question: if cheetah does not export splines, am i correct in assuming that it will not import splines and/or nurbs geometry either just tried to import a nurbs surface from maya via obj and nothing showed up

thks again

adam

another build modifier question

hi Martin
following on to earlier question on build modifier
i am an architect and actually playing with this modifier to design a shading system that gets propagated over a surface
The Halton algorithm seems to present interesting results

found this about the halton sequence in WIKIpedia. Is this the kind of procedure you have implimented for picking faces in the build modifier??

The original Halton sequence is constructed according to a deterministic method that uses a prime number as its base. The one-dimensional Halton sequence based on prime p (≥ 2) fills the 0-1 space by dividing it into p segments, and by systematically filling in the empty spaces, using cycles of length p that place one draw in each segment. A Halton sequence of length N thus consists of an initial cycle of length p − 1, in addition to [N − (p − 1)]DIV[p] “complete” cycles of length p, and, except in the case where (N + 1)MOD(p) = 0, also one “incomplete” final cycle of length (N + 1)MOD(p).

thks!
adam

Last edited:
Hi,
yes, I'm using the Halton low discrepancy numbers in this modifier. These numbers are both deterministic and nicely distributed.

In the modifier I just check for every i-th polygon if the i-th halton number is below "perecnt" property of the build modifier. If it is the polygon will be displayed. If not the polygon is deleted.

Bye,
Martin

Back