Hand Tutorial

Hand Tutorial

Hi guys,

This one is for all you character modellers out there :)
Up until recently I always had problems finding a clean way of joining hands to the arms. I usually had quite a few more polys at the end of the hand than at the beginning of the arm :(
I also had quite a few issues adding the thumb in a good place whist retaining nice flowing edge loops.
But a few days ago I found a model that had really nice flowing polygons and set about trying to figure out a simple repeatable method of creating it… and this is what I came up with!!
It does assume a little bit of prior knowledge like how to add edges and how to create a ring cut, and extrude etc. but hopefully the techniques aren't too complicated?!!!

I have attached a tutorial and a zip file containing the .jas file in case so you can just attach it to your own models arm without any of the hassle of creating it ;). I've also attached a turntable of a character that I'm working on that shows the technique being used. Notice the seamless way the hand flows into the rest of the arm :)

Anyways I hope it helps a few people. Any questions just shout.

Have fun
Dave :)

Attachments

• hand_tutorial_dg.jpg
    hand_tutorial_dg.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 1,268
  • goon_turntable.jpg
    goon_turntable.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,331
  • hand_model.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
:D The hand is prefect! Thanks for the most generous offer of the tut and the jas file to use. I definitely will use it in the future.
I'm working on a cartoon dog, a tree and a cartoon corn cob man right now.
Looks like it will take me quite a bit of time. I hope they turn out good enough to share with others as you so kindly did.

My Best Regards
Jeanny

Thanks Guys

You are all very much welcome. It's nice to be able to give a little something back every once in a while to a community that has helped me so much over the past few years :)

Thanks Jeanny, I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour :)

:D The hand is prefect! Thanks for the most generous offer of the tut and the jas file to use. I definitely will use it in the future.
I'm working on a cartoon dog, a tree and a cartoon corn cob man right now.
Looks like it will take me quite a bit of time. I hope they turn out good enough to share with others as you so kindly did.

My Best Regards
Jeanny

Nice job. I wish someone would explain face loops that clearly :)

Hi Podperson,
Thanks for posting, glad you liked it :)

On the face loops front. They certainly are a little bit more complicated ;)
I posted a tutorial a while back that uses a similar method to this one to create a head base mesh with good edge loops:

http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6759

The end result is an ugly looking block… but it's an ugly looking block that gives you all the polygons and correct edge loops you need to create a base mesh of a head :) It does take a while to push all the polys into position to "sculpt" the form of the head once you've completed the final step, but at least you know that there is a nice flowing head in there somewhere ;)

Thanks again for taking time to post
Kind Regards
Dave

Whoa - Didn't know people still do organic modelling in polymodellers. Though all gone to ZBruch, Mudbox etc for that.

Whoa - Didn't know people still do organic modelling in polymodellers. Though all gone to ZBruch, Mudbox etc for that.

Just for curiosity. Which tools are used to create the base meshes in Mudbox.:wink:

Daves hand would give a excellent base mesh for mudbox in my eyes.

Bye
Martin

Back