Cheetah3D v6 is out

This is great news. I can't wait to play with it. I'm just finishing off some book artwork and I'd hate to mess anything up. Is there any reason not to download...like will it disable the current version I'm working with?

Cheers

Edit...Just read through the thread again. You can run both versions by the looks of it.

Last edited:
This is great news. I can't wait to play with it. I'm just finishing off some book artwork and I'd hate to mess anything up. Is there any reason not to download...like will it disable the current version I'm working with?

Cheers

Edit...Just read through the thread again. You can run both versions by the looks of it.

Yes, you can run both versions in parallel if you bought Cheetah3D via my webpage. If you bought Cheetah3D via the Mac App Store it is a little bit more complicated since the MAS overwrite the old version. So you first have to bring the old version at a save place where the MAS installer can't overwrite it.

Bye
Martin

Very nice! :) By the way, I'm really happy (and impressed) with the improvements to the bevel tool. Right on!

Thanks.:smile: But I'm still not finished with it yet. There are still two common special cases I want to handle.

Bye
Martin

Cheetah is not going to the good direction...
Before particles and dynamics, I think that a good 3D software is a software which can do easily and quickly still pictures.
A lot of things would be improved before these "gadgets".
Some improvements are great but it's not enough.

I'm a cinema4d user and soft and rigid bodies came partially with 11.5 version (last version is v13).
Well, it's funny to play with its but this is not a priority.

You need to improve Boolean with groups, material manager, objects manager, etc.

Instance object would be great too.

But for the price, it's a very very good software easy to use : I've convinced a friend to buy it !

Before particles and dynamics, I think that a good 3D software is a software which can do easily and quickly still pictures.

I'm a cinema4d user and soft and rigid bodies came partially with 11.5 version (last version is v13).

You need to improve Boolean with groups, material manager, objects manager, etc.

But for the price, it's a very very good software easy to use : I've convinced a friend to buy it !

The output is the most important thing off course, but I don't completely agree with you, I think Martin is actually going to work on improving existing features....

More with rings and loops.:wink:

Soon I will give a small outlook what I want to add next. The focus on the next updates will be clearly on improving existing features.
(which to me seem already fairly good; what's wrong with the object and material manager and the particles are in fact instances...)

Bye
Martin

Last edited:
OK there's room for improvement, but...

In fact if you want to do multiple booleans at once, you can use booleans in booleans...(see attached file), instancing happens via particles (see here), and don't we have a good object browser and material manager?

Attachments

• boolean.zip
    10 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Cheetah's physics implementation is amazingly easy to use and very convenient simply for modeling (want a cup full or pencils or a bowl of fruit?).

Particles, as they stand, are useful for modeling but not so much for the things you normally expect particles to be used for.

I agree with the overall thrust of what you're asking for -- better "meat and potatoes" features rather than occasionally useful gimmicks. If we go on Martin's record, we'll see a lot of that in dot releases. E.g. Martin has suggested some major enhancements to the animation UI in the 6.x life cycle.

@filip I think booleans need a huge amount of work, the ui is one issue but the functionality is far worse. As it stands, I recommend (a) avoiding booleans if possible, (b) using them as late as possible if you can't avoid them, and (c) keeping copies of the pure-Boolean elements if you need to collapse them. I effect, booleans are an anti feature right now.

Last edited:
...@filip I think booleans need a huge amount of work, the ui is one issue but the functionality is far worse. As it stands, I recommend (a) avoiding booleans if possible, (b) using them as late as possible if you can't avoid them, and (c) keeping copies of the pure-Boolean elements if you need to collapse them. I effect, booleans are an anti feature right now.

I must agree relying on your expertise (I use booleans extremely rare), I just like to look for (often very ineffective) possibilities ;)

I think 6.0's features really round out a lot of the bonus features for animators like myself, so I welcome all the work Martin put into the new features, even if they won't appeal to modelers.

Cheetah 3D gets better with every update, provided Martin keeps the great features we already have, while adding new features.

I just hope we get some much needed render improvements. Animation can wait ;)

Yes I speak of SSS and volumetrics...

The focus will be clearly on improving the features which cause the most problem and less on new features. Rigging is definitely on my todo list. Especially a faster and more robust IK solver.

Bye
Martin

The focus will be clearly on improving the features which cause the most problem and less on new features. Rigging is definitely on my todo list. Especially a faster and more robust IK solver.

Bye
Martin

I take this as a yes for both render-features as their missing *does* create big problems :) Yeah!

On the more serious level - I really hope we get them as they got promised for 5.x. I updated because of faith in Martin, but when 6.x means only animation stuff I just wasted the money for the update as I don't do any.

Last edited:
I don't see why people want animation and rigging improvements so much when key rendering features are missing. The ability to animate something is needed of course, but unless the rendering engine can produce the final required visual output then having complex rigging tools are kinda useless.

That said I'm sure Martin will address the issues in time.

I don't see why people want animation and rigging improvements so much when key rendering features are missing. The ability to animate something is needed of course, but unless the rendering engine can produce the final required visual output then having complex rigging tools are kinda useless.

That said I'm sure Martin will address the issues in time.

I have many users who use Cheetah3D for game development and they don't need rendering features at all.

But don't worry. Also the renderer will see considerable improvements. Pretty much every area in Cheetah3D will see improvements. But on my todo list the improvement of interior lightning has a higher priority than adding SSS.

Bye
Martin

I guess for the archviz people - So bring at least the volumetrics as they would allow to use particles and metaballs for smoke etc.

Chara-Work will have to stay at Vue for a while then I guess.

I just hope we get some much needed render improvements. Animation can wait ;)

Yes I speak of SSS and volumetrics...

I completely disagree. ;) I want animation and rigging improvements.

Mike

It would be nice if both can be focused on these versions of 6x. I hear that we might also get video.mov textures in a 6x version, which is something I've wanted for awhile for my animations.

Subsurface Shading (SSS) and Volumetrics are nice too for advanced visuals, though some volumetrics can be faked with the right material shader (see the Lightsaber tutorial for the shader, though the shader won't cast shadows if cut into by an object passing through, as in a beam of light, as with real volumetrics).
By the way, in the past, I read here on the forum that Volumetrics (along with true ink outlines) were almost impossible with Cheetah, or was that just the old versions?

Bye
Martin

Hi Martin. For animation, I rely heavily on Poses, stockpiling a big list of various poses for each character to reuse and adjust as the scene calls for. Your refinements to poses, the keyframe copy/paste/delete, and the cloning of skeletons easily, were huge improvements compared to version 4.7 as I remember. Thanks, those were very valuable changes to animation. I look forward to more.

I would not call it just nice. Without SSS realistic skin is impossible to do 8(

I see your point. SSS is very nice. Agreed. :icon_thumbup:

It would be nice if all those features were in all at once, but one man can only do so much at one time.

I would also like to see if SSS skin is possible in Cheetah, and Volumetric lighting.
Out of curiosity, since I haven't used them other than in experimentation with Blender, what are some of the other things you can use it for aside from skin and lighting, as important as those are?

Back