Version 6

Version 5x had some major advances for Cheetah compared to version 4.7, which I started with. With version 6, I can imagine there will be plenty of additional great features added for the upgrade price.

Thanks again for all the excellent features in 5x.

I hope version 6 will correct the minor issue where the free move icon continues to move the joint or object continually after the mouse has stopped moving when much farther from the 0 0 0 center xyz. The work around is to use the properties window to adjust the position instead of click on the object in the work window. :cool:

Great to hear that 6.x will released in the near future. At all I really like the fast development on cheetah3D. Thanks :icon_thumbup:

A tiny little question about features in 5.x releases:

I allways have trouble in "putting stickers" on meshes regarding alpha-channel and transparency or having stickers or text on metal shaded material. Frank and other helped a lot with tutorial in this forum. :smile:

Problem:
It seemed that I have to clone the regarding polygons and move it slightly away from the original mesh to be able to put a partly transparent sticker on the object.

Sorry for asking but a simple solution is the most needed function I really want :cool:

I have to chime in here as well and too frequently have the same "label" alpha issues as Fry just mentioned. The work around of applying the alpha image to a small portion of cloned mesh doesn't always work in all environments - sometimes the ends of that cloned mesh stand out too much from the object it is supposed to blend with. I spend a lot of time trying to find solutions for this sometimes.

I hope V6 will have a method of layering textures over one another so that a texture with alpha channel can be easily combined.

I also have issues with improper rendering of alpha channels when fog tag is used. Hope v6 addresses that as well.

So I simply add my most wanted features, hope martin has some of them on his roadmap for 6:

- 16bit displacements
- 32bit float displacements
- micropolygon displacement (render only)
- volumemetric materials and lights (combined with the new physics script smoke and fire would finally be there)
- sss
- hair/fur tools and rendering

And, um, SSS? Weren't volumetrics and SSS a 5.x feature? I realize plans change.

I doubt we'll see hair/fur tools — just the UI for things like combing is a huge undertaking.

movie textures would be great!
they allow mix 2D/3D
the script is broken since v4
HOPE MARTIN GETS IT!

This would definitely be great for animation, agreed. Expanding what's possible with Cheetah3D. :icon_thumbup:

I wonder what the level of complex programming is involved to create the effect similar to that old version of mov textures?

video texture

movie textures would be great!
they allow mix 2D/3D
the script is broken since v4
HOPE MARTIN GETS IT!

Yep, video texture is top of my wish list.
(some animations are just too tricky to composite in After Effects etc. - especially if you want to retain reflections)

i've already asked Santa Claus down at my local shopping centre, but he just looked confused and scared.

I do love this forum :)

I am somewhat impressed that Martin seems to suggest there are still more 5.x releases, as there are something like 6 weeks left in the year. That is almost an agile release cycle going there :)

I think the one thing I would like the most, assuming we havent over looked it, is some sort of preview plugin for the finder, that would be way clue. Though I suspect not as easy as it sounds.

G

motion blur

as i'm getting more into cheetah animation i realise that MOTION BLUR would be a good addition in version 6.

as i'm getting more into cheetah animation i realise that MOTION BLUR would be a good addition in version 6.

Yes, I'd say it's the most important missing feature, and as Martin adds animation functionality and physics the lack of it becomes more obvious.

The big win would be render to layers plus vector motion layer plus being abl to output from shaders to layers plus node based post-processing of layers. This gets you motion blur and most of volumetrics including glows. (It doesn't get you god rays, at least I don't think it does.)

SSS adds a precalculated lighting pass much like radiosity or caustics.

Back