Welding spline vertices?

Draw an open path add it to an extrude-creator - drag with snapping enabled one end-point onto one other end-point. When it snaps the surface will get filled with an nGon. Try to drag the points one from another. I can´t. You?

Cheers
Frank-sorry-to-be-the-pest :mrgreen:

Hi Frank,

Edit: First attached image just shows the 'before-component-snapping-state'
You can drag the two points apart (because they are not one) by selecting an adjacent point (point 2 in my example-second attached image), expanding your selection (now points 1,2,3 are selected), deselect points the two points that are not an endpoint (points 2 and 3 in my example), and you are left with a selected endpoint (point 1 in my example). Now you can move the endpoints apart.

Why would you move them apart? I suppose just to show that they are two distinct points and not one.

Why is that a problem? I'm not sure anymore.... I used to think (until I just experimented) you couldn't change point 1/4 to smooth interpolation. Now I see that you can.

Just did another experiment, close to what originally got me interested in this. In the third attached image I want to attach the two splines. If I simply align points 2 and 3 using component snapping, and points 2/3 are still 2 distinct points not one, then I can't get a smooth curve there - choosing 'soft interpolation' or 'equal tangent direction' doesn't work.

Do you agree Frank that that is a reason to want to be able to weld points in a spline?

Thanks,
--Shift Studio.

Attachments

• Spline-extrude-1.jpg
    Spline-extrude-1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Spline-extrude-2.jpg
    Spline-extrude-2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Spline-weld-1.jpg
    Spline-weld-1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

Fascinating topic, it seems like splines auto "Weld" but still remain two points if your closing a loop.
At which time interpolation may be altered. But not separate sections, unless they form one loop. :confused:

First case:
Drag one end-point onto the other end-point - bingo - closed
Second case:
You want to weld 2 end/starting-points which won´t work:
Select one point - go select->Select group-> revers sequence - select both middle points and call->Join Segments - Cheetah3d will add a new segment in-between.

Cheers
Frank

well actually for the second case the idea is for the joined spline to have 3 points, and the centre point has smooth interpolation.

Lets stop beating this dead horse. ;)

Back