Happy New Year!!!

I'm hoping that Apple provides some kind of neat mechanism for handling transitions from existing licenses to the App Store.

Interestingly, the App Store detects BBEdit is installed on my system (it's now in the App Store) but not Cheetah 3D. Assuming there's a robust signing mechanism it seems like Apple could figure out a way of letting you upgrade an existing license and be brought "into the fold".

The quality of the apps in the store on day one is pretty staggering. I'd say about 25% of the apps look polished, 50% look solid, and 25% look like dumpware. Compare that to, say, the iPhone App Store (which is something like 10%, 30%, 605) and the Android/WP7 markets (2%, 8%, 90%).

I assume anyone buying C3D through the App Store will get the free upgrade to v6, which is also how Pixelmator is coping with the transition for now.

I'm hoping that Apple provides some kind of neat mechanism for handling transitions from existing licenses to the App Store.

Interestingly, the App Store detects BBEdit is installed on my system (it's now in the App Store) but not Cheetah 3D. Assuming there's a robust signing mechanism it seems like Apple could figure out a way of letting you upgrade an existing license and be brought "into the fold".

That's interesting. Maybe Apple is making a test run with some devs and later offers that feature to all devs.

I assume anyone buying C3D through the App Store will get the free upgrade to v6, which is also how Pixelmator is coping with the transition for now.

Yes, they will get a free Update. But Pixelmator is already selling at the Upgrade price to ease the transition. But Cheetah3D 6 is to far way to start selling Upgrades.

But it is a clever move by Pixelmator to handle it that way.

That's interesting. Maybe Apple is making a test run with some devs and later offers that feature to all devs.

But it is a clever move by Pixelmator to handle it that way.

Looks like it's just BundleID. The App Store recognizes the app but that's it (for now, anyway).

Agreed on the cleverness. Pixelmator has played its cards very well thus far.

damn Apple... in the first hour after upgrading to 10.6.6 I already purchased 2 apps :rolleyes: (who can resist Aperture3 at a third of its price?). now I really need an "add to wishlist" feature!

why Cheetah is in the Video tools section? I see there's no 3D category but... maybe Graphics/Design?

I agree with Podperson on the quality of the apps and I really hope Apple will perform some kind of selection in the store (no need to scroll down pages of rubbish to find the good ones...)

could anybody who has not iWork tell how much Pages & Co. are in the app store? (just curious...)

cheers,
A

Here she is on the opening page. Excellent work Martin, big congrats and Happy New Year!

Cheers
Terry

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-01-07 at 13.05.11.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-07 at 13.05.11.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
It looks like RapidWeaver is taking the same approach

yep, same policy (full app sold at upgrade price) but quite different timing... while PxM 2 is still some month away, RW 5 has been recently pushed out so there's more than a long-time-loyal-user feeling betrayed having payed a little more to be a beta tester (RW5 has been quite buggy in its very first releases...). I'll stick with 4.4.2 for a little more... (not saying this because we're here but the only upgrade I'll install the very first day is Cheetah - I found Martin's betas are way more solid than many commercial tools I have!)

cheers,
A

Hi all,
did any one think about the total control over all your applications that Apple might get through the use of Apple-Store?

Up to now I enjoyed that most programs for the mac don't have to be registered ... By introducing Apple-Store the basement is prepared for a total control of monster companies like Apple/Google/Microsoft ....

Herbert

Last edited:
Back