gpu

I'm curious if all of the mentioned renderers can be used with Cheetah?

there's an exporter script for Luxrender but it's quite limited atm: the best way is to export in obj (using the built in obj+mtl exporter script - you can find it under Tools/Scripts/Macro) and import in Blender, which is the "native" studio setup for Lux and gives you access to any parameter (via LuxBlend). it's not easy as C3D but Lux has a great and helpful community too... be prepared for long render times though, at least until SLG project (gpu acceleration) is implemented in the main branch (scheduled for Lux 0.8 - next major release)

obj+mtl created with cheetah' script work perfectly in Octane (not a single problem till now). octane can be damn fast if you have the right GPU(s) but there are a lot of hardware limitations (i.e. vRAM space)

for the others I can't tell...

cheers,
Alessandro

Obj+Mtl also seem to work quite well with Thea renderer – Just tried the demo – Obviously you lose all the node setup and have to recreate everything image-based. So that's quite a workflow drawback. btw. unbiased settings take forever...and ever... :rolleyes:

I'd rather see the powerful Cheetah renderer evolve over time than switch to another app just for rendering dark corners or whacky caustics (well I know there's a longer list to it, but perhaps Martin is listening and delays some of the really fancy features for better render output...:tongue:)

I too have found Thea UI quite confusing, so I gave up after a short time... but maybe it's just me. I saw some great renders made with it though, so the engine has to be good (still CPU only atm, although there are plans for GPU acceleration afaik)

I really would like to have full Octane and Lux exporters for Cheetah, with full support for the node system and other features... but I don't think it will happen any time soon

I really would like to have full Octane and Lux exporters for Cheetah, with full support for the node system and other features... but I don't think it will happen any time soon

Technically you probably have to translate all the material/node output to a language those apps can speak – I suppose, it would be a lot easier to do a rewrite on the Cheetah render engine and keeping things internal... But I'm just guessing here, 'cause I don't have a clue about what's going on behind the GUI :tongue:

Back