Curving a rope

rope script

Hi guys,Im a graphic designer just getting into 3D using Cheeta3d. Im making good progress learning the basic but Ive hit a bit of a wall.Im trying to produce some rope with curves along its length.I found the script link on this forum but all copies of it are not working. Can anyone help?

Hi guys,Im a graphic designer just getting into 3D using Cheeta3d. Im making good progress learning the basic but Ive hit a bit of a wall.Im trying to produce some rope with curves along its length.I found the script link on this forum but all copies of it are not working. Can anyone help?

Does this help? No script used.

Attachments

• Rope bend.jpg
    Rope bend.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 311
  • RopeBendzoo.zip
    30.8 KB · Views: 310
* If all you need is just a length of rope which is not “straight”, then a simple sweep will suffice. The cross-section is a suitably dimensioned circle, the axis can be a helix (as in my examples) or you just generate a spline from scratch as you need it.
* Manually created splines are always 2D curves (linear / Bezier / NURBS) in one of the three possible primary planes (XY, XZ or YZ). If you require a 3D spline you need to shift individual points (manually, by the transform widget or via the set value params).
* I have added a shadow so the actual topology of the ropes is obvious from a single s/shot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 15.13.54.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 15.13.54.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Rope 01.png
    Rope 01.png
    70 KB · Views: 306
Thanks for your reply, your examples are really helpful.Im gonna spend a little time playing and see which way I can get my newbie head around.

* Depending on the purpose of your model, you may also want to have a look at this example:
* both ends of the rope are attached to the box (shown as a wireframe)
* one end is released
* the rope follows the normal laws of gravity, ie the free end drops down, the rope stretches a fraction and swings around a bit like a sluggish pendulum
* hit play to show an automatic animation

:tongue: Of course, if Newton is right, planet Earth drops up a bit on release of the rope. This can be proven by observing that your Mac performs an infinitesimal hop on the desk.

Attachments

• Rope 02.jas.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 313
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 16.39.46.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 16.39.46.png
    130.2 KB · Views: 330
Back