Decorated pig

Hey Archie,
just wanna let you know you're not alone...

there's space for enhancements but that's what I can do for now:

cheers,
Alessandro

Attachments

• Citrus.png
    Citrus.png
    334.2 KB · Views: 1,654
  • HammeredCopper.png
    HammeredCopper.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 1,653
  • Citrus.c3dmat.zip
    23.1 KB · Views: 674
  • HammeredCopper.c3dmat.zip
    19.1 KB · Views: 642
Great mats archie. I'll try and do a few more pigs soon so you don't get so lonely in here :)

Hey Archie,
just wanna let you know you're not alone...

thanks guys :smile:
i need your help on the wishlist too, pushing for new features :wink:
does anyone experience too that the new node preview works on texture but not math nodes ?
(update: accidentally i discovered that the previews can be collapsed by clicking on the output sockets, just before putting that on the wishlist, lol)

- alessandro, can i have that one for lunch please, it looks sooo delicious ! :icon_thumbup:

___

have been playing around with the directional node and found when combined with some structure and fed into blur or bump channels you can reach a pretty *used* look, unpolished kinda stuff with some marks shown.

View attachment stucco?.c3dmat.zip, View attachment usedsteel.c3dmat.zip, View attachment unpolishedsilver.c3dmat.zip

image.jpg

Last edited:
It's always a pleasure to watch that thread. :smile:

I'm surprised what's already possible with the new material system. And that is just the beginning. More features will be added in future releases.

Bye,
Martin

Marty likes it too...

Is there a place (or maybe a cd3 file for download) where all these materials are collected ?

Attachments

• marty.png
    marty.png
    237.1 KB · Views: 1,628
Is there a place (or maybe a cd3 file for download) where all these materials are collected ?

not yet... so you have to download each material from user posts and put it into your user folder /Library/ApplicationSupport/Cheetah3D/Materials... or if you have a .jas file rightclick on the material and SaveAs

cheers,
A

lol nice pic :smile:

i plan to provide a zip with all of my mats till an official collection starts off,
but i have to wait till i get a new mac in january where i will have the developer tools installed (my current macbook is stuffed), there is a possibility to make icons in there i read somewhere, when i have figured that out and have actually attached a big pig icon to each mat i will make them available.

- archie

not yet... so you have to download each material from user posts and put it into your user folder /Library/ApplicationSupport/Cheetah3D/Materials... or if you have a .jas file rightclick on the material and SaveAs

cheers,
A

Maybe we should have a material competition with say the top 30 materials (30 being an arbitrary number) as voted for by the forum users then those 30 being made available as a single download or update?

P.s. Funnily I dont have a Cheetah3D folder in my app support folder :confused: ...this makes using user created materials a tad hard :icon_thumbup:

P.s. Funnily I dont have a Cheetah3D folder in my app support folder :confused: ...this makes using user created materials a tad hard :icon_thumbup:

hey jon,

this folder gets installed only in version 5, in v4 there is no support for user defined mats apart from having a file and according texture pics in a folder.

- archie

hey jon,

this folder gets installed only in version 5, in v4 there is no support for user defined mats apart from having a file and according texture pics in a folder.

- archie

Hi Archie,

I've got version 5 :confused:

Nevermind ...just means I'll have to spend some proper time with the material editor :)

Ok, heres my first contribution. My take on a polished concrete surface. Hope its of use to somebody :)

Attachments

• polished concrete.jpg
    polished concrete.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,518
  • Polished Concrete.c3dmat.zip
    21.6 KB · Views: 612
And another. A lizard skin material.

Attachments

• Lizard Skin.jpg
    Lizard Skin.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,497
  • Lizard Skin.c3dmat.zip
    24.5 KB · Views: 604
yay new participant !

Ok, heres my first contribution. My take on a polished concrete surface. Hope its of use to somebody :)

thanks for joining in jon !

your concrete could well be used for entrance steps or the like and the lizard skin you could try on marty, frank's chameleon in the examples folder.
i see you use the turbulence a lot, try and play with the octave, lacunarity and gain settings, the default ones are rather odd.

now this is the decorated pig thread created by meshman, this means there is no incentive at all to create any remotely usable or realistic material, it's about pure fun exploring the vast possibilities of awkward node combinations, trying to come up with weird but impressive patterns.
going through this joyful experience you will learn more than attempting to mimic realism, the skills for that will come on the fly.

have fun and come back with more,

- archie

thanks for joining in jon !

your concrete could well be used for entrance steps or the like and the lizard skin you could try on marty, frank's chameleon in the examples folder.
i see you use the turbulence a lot, try and play with the octave, lacunarity and gain settings, the default ones are rather odd.

now this is the decorated pig thread created by meshman, this means there is no incentive at all to create any remotely usable or realistic material, it's about pure fun exploring the vast possibilities of awkward node combinations, trying to come up with weird but impressive patterns.
going through this joyful experience you will learn more than attempting to mimic realism, the skills for that will come on the fly.

have fun and come back with more,

- archie

My pleasure :)

It is a really fun way of learning about the material editor. I did do a gory "skinned" muscle material but Cheetah crashed when I tried to save it ...but as you say it was purely messing around and happened to "stumble" on that particular combination.

Im surprised more people haven't gotten involved.

infected by the funky-random-useless-material virus too? :tongue:

cheers,
A

Attachments

• AgingCopper.png
    AgingCopper.png
    218.2 KB · Views: 1,438
  • PearlyPig.png
    PearlyPig.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 1,461
  • Funky01.png
    Funky01.png
    325.3 KB · Views: 1,467
  • Rocher.png
    Rocher.png
    326.9 KB · Views: 1,446
  • Matz.zip
    82 KB · Views: 604
I love this thread!!!

Here's my contribution :D

Attachments

• Antimatter.c3dmat.zip
    17.2 KB · Views: 615
  • antimatter.jpg
    antimatter.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,421
whoa this thing is taking off !

alessandro your pearlmat is really ingenious, very good imitation of sub-surface-scattering. it looks even better in the oldtown pig scene.

andreu thanks for the scifi input, we'll get defnatly more pigs into space here !

:smile:

Back