Higher Resolution for Print

Higher Resolution for Print

Hi Martin,
when rendering a image the possible output resolution is 4096x4096. This is for the most tasks very comfortable and enough. Sometimes I need (working for a magazin) a width of 42 cm (about 16,5"). That would be a resolution with 4960 pixel. I can stretch the image, but a bit of the sharpness is lost then. It is always better to make the image later smaler than to stretch it. Hope I am not to fussy :rolleyes:

Would it be possible to set the resolution higher? This would be wonderful!

Thank you very much for this great Mac Software!!!!!!
Greetings

Doesn't there is anyone else who needs the DIN A3 format (german paper size) vor his/her work? Hope that Martin would act also on a single user wish. I know less then minus 100% about programming. Is it to much work to change the maximum resolution higher, Martin? Yes I know, all "easy" wishes are together much work :)
Thank you in advance!

Increasing the resolution would be very nice, maybe in combination with network rendering??? We make A1 presentations where we need fullsize renders. For now we just blow them up, not always nice...

Regards,

Peter

Doesn't there is anyone else who needs the DIN A3 format (german paper size) vor his/her work? ...
Dear Novus, you are assuming an input resolution of 300 dpi, which is the standard for fine print on good paper. Now, I don't know what magazine you're talking about, but I know from direct experience that lowering the resolution to somewhere between 225 dpi and 250 dpi will, in most cases, yield very acceptable output. 300 dpi is only really needed when printing fine art and artwork reproductions. So, although it would be nice to have even greater size renders, for the time being maybe a compromise is what you need.

Andreu

I agree 4096x4096 is sufficient for 99.9% of cases, but it's perfectly conceivable that someone might want larger -- e.g. there are cameras that will spit out higher resolution images and you might be compositing something on their output.

133lpi (for color) used to be considered fine for glossy magazines. Everyone's gone a bit resolution mad these days.

...somewhere between 225 dpi and 250 dpi will, in most cases, yield very acceptable output.
Andreu

That is what I am doing :) I didn't say that the result is bad. It is good but it could be perfect. By the way, I don't want any Pixelmania to :)
Cheers

Actually, the standard for printing (digitally and offset) is 300dpi, which is defined by the X-3 standard for printable pdf exchange. (At least in Germany)

theoretically a 12" vinyl cover would need at least 3600px x 3600px

So there's a good reason to go just a bit mad about pixels,.. ;)

I would never dare to render something in original resolution for a 30ft. Wallpaper (probably would take about a week,.. past the deadline for the job), but higher resolution in the render output wouldn't kill anybody, would it? :rolleyes:

I'd throw in my support for this; not everyone is printing only to copier paper sizes. I have been using C3D at work to render graphics for large event banners, and they look good but a bit fuzzy. It's not critical, but I certainly don't see how a higher resolution limit than 4096 would be "mad."

I'd throw in my support for this; not everyone is printing only to copier paper sizes. I have been using C3D at work to render graphics for large event banners, and they look good but a bit fuzzy. It's not critical, but I certainly don't see how a higher resolution limit than 4096 would be "mad."

Don’t get where you all come from - We talking 16,7 Megapixels here - That’s enough to do really huge printings much larger than A0. I.e. at 75dpi that is a huge 1,4m*1,4m

Actually, the standard for printing (digitally and offset) is 300dpi, which is defined by the X-3 standard for printable pdf exchange. (At least in Germany)
Standards be damned. The de facto printing resolution for countless jobs in the real world is 225 dpi, which corresponds to 133 lpi. The reality of the inks and paper does not allow for the whole use of 255 shades of gray. I'd say that at most (and very at most) one gets about 200 distinct shades of gray. That is 80% of the available range. So, 225 dpi for 133 lpi is in line with this.

One of the reasons why everybody nowadays thinks 300 dpi print ready images are OK is that storage space has become cheap, and file transfer rates fast. So, yeah, you can go for the whole 300 dpi, and you can call it standard, but it's a gimmick. In 95% of printing situations, you don't need 300 dpi. Hell, for all I care, you can try 600 dpi. Anything will go, I guess.

Andreu

Here was my scenario: I had to design an advertising banner that was at least 72x24 inches (1.8x0.6m). At C3D's current limits, the render was 4096x1366, or about 55dpi. Like I said, it was serviceable, but it would have been nice to have had it a little sharper, especially in contrast to the perfectly sharp text that was added on top of the image.

I agree that one can overdo resolution in most cases, but there definitely situations where it would be handy to have more.

Now we can see that for one user 220 to 250 dpi is working. Another is happy with 72 dpi... If it works for you, great I am happy with you. But on the other side there are users (like me) that for different reasons want to render and calculate with 300 dpi. In the company I am working for, there is a Pre-Press-Check-System that doesn't allow a resolution under 305(!) dpi. You get an error message until you give it this 305 :) And I don't think bad about "Standards" in print because in my opinion it helps to have a good workflow. What would happen if everyone in a team would work with his own Standards?
Imagine Cheetah 3D can render with 5000 pixel - if someone doesn't need this he wouldn't be forced to use it :) And everybody would be more happy.
Cheers

Imagine Cheetah 3D can render with 5000 pixel - if someone doesn't need this he wouldn't be forced to use it :) And everybody would be more happy.
Cheers

5000x5000 is no problem. It will be in 5.1. But for much bigger resolutions I have to do some more work and implement a HD frame buffer to save memory. So that will take some more time.:wink:

Bye,
Martin

I wonder, if there is going to be a update for rendering bigger resolutions, since some time is passed now... :wink: . I would really appreciate this!

Need really high resolutions (eg. 20000x10000 px). For now, is there any other possibility to render in this size? Maybe split camera by script?

Thanks,
Frank

Ok, I'm bumping this wish list thread because I'd still like to see it implemented sometime hopefully in C3d v6. I need the high dpi for large format printing.

Back