Alien problem

Alien problem

Hi guys, I wonder if anybody can give me any tips here? The glass ball the alien sits in is very dark and hard to see through. Fresnel is on in materials. I put a light in the ball which helps but still too dark. It works a little better when the background is switched on in the HDRI, but obviously I don't want him in a hotel lobby. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know how to make the red and blue lights on the ship look like they're on? Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 289
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 298
Just one thought. Is the glass, let's say, real glass? Like does it have thickness? If not, it would be like putting the little fella inside a solid glass ball. That might explain the dark, deep shadows. As for the glow for the lights, try an emissive material and don't forget to use Radiosity. If this does not work, try pointing an individual point light at each lightbulb, unchecking shadows.

Alien 2

Thanks Andreu. Yes the thickness of the glass, silly mistake. So now he's in a wine glass which sorts out the warp problem and some of the shadows. Then I added a few more lights. And yes of course emissive materials for the shiny lights. :icon_thumbup: Bingo! :D This render is not what I was looking for, but a happy accident. :wink: Podperson, tried raytrace + transparency, still looked the same, but thanks.

I've attached the original Alien that was done in Illustrator (the client liked it) just to show the power of Cheetah. There's no comparison really. :icon_thumbup:

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 272
Another cool render from Terry! Good job! One other thing you can do for glass is to change the transparency color. If it's already on white, then this won't help much, but I found that if you're using a transparency color, making it a lighter shade helps to make it more translucent (which makes sense).

Take a look at the shots here, concentrating on the wine. It's not a perfect render and something I'm working on, but you can see how changing the shade of wine color made it seem a bit more translucent.

Oh...and sorry to hear that you're having an alien problem...nothing a little Invader-B-Gone won't solve.:)

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 276
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Another cool render from Terry! Good job! One other thing you can do for glass is to change the transparency color. If it's already on white, then this won't help much, but I found that if you're using a transparency color, making it a lighter shade helps to make it more translucent (which makes sense).

Take a look at the shots here, concentrating on the wine. It's not a perfect render and something I'm working on, but you can see how changing the shade of wine color made it seem a bit more translucent.

Oh...and sorry to hear that you're having an alien problem...nothing a little Invader-B-Gone won't solve.:)

No transparency color, Robert. But thanks. :icon_thumbup:

Just set the amount of specular scatterings to at least 1.0. in the radiosity tag.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• SpecNoSpec.jpeg
    SpecNoSpec.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 279
I'd try a more neutral, or abstract, lighting setup ... the image you're using creates very busy reflections which don't really suit the style of the model.

If you're in a hurry, grab one of my lighting setups and use one of the product shot setups. This example was created with the AO product shot setup. (And yes, I spent *way* too much time on the alien spokesmodel.)

Attachments

• ufo.jpg
    ufo.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 260
I'd try a more neutral, or abstract, lighting setup ... the image you're using creates very busy reflections which don't really suit the style of the model.

If you're in a hurry, grab one of my lighting setups and use one of the product shot setups. This example was created with the AO product shot setup. (And yes, I spent *way* too much time on the alien spokesmodel.)

I agree Podperson. I like the lighting just because it has a wow effect! But my client would never go for it, neither would I as a final render. Can't see the alien. Grab one of your lighting setups? How would I do that?

Cheers
Terry

Hi Terry,
you can also attach a "Render Tag" to the glas cover and disable "visible in radiosity". That will rendere a little bit faster then increasing the specular scatterings in the "Radiosity" tag.

Bye,
Martin

No Frank, I tried what you said and it came out black. :confused: File attached if you want to take a look. The glass does look busy, not sure, maybe more lights? What do you think?

Attachments

• Alien.zip
    183.6 KB · Views: 235
No Frank, I tried what you said and it came out black. :confused: File attached if you want to take a look. The glass does look busy, not sure, maybe more lights? What do you think?

Oh, and entrance_hall_pano_small.hdr not attached, too big to send. :D

Alien Final

That's it, Martin! :icon_thumbup: Thank you once again! :D Now you can see the alien.

Cheers
Terry

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    214.6 KB · Views: 220
Back