HDRI strikes again!

HDRI strikes again!

Hi all it's me again.

I'm struggling with HDRI which alters the color of my surface. I have an object lying on a black reflective floor but the surface renders brown instead of black. After doing some testing I'm positive it has to do with the HDRI tag. I posted this thread (http://www.cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=4166&) lately and the advice I got works fine for a white surface but doesn't seem to do the trick with a black surface.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all it's me again.

I'm struggling with HDRI which alters the color of my surface. I have an object lying on a black reflective floor but the surface renders brown instead of black. After doing some testing I'm positive it has to do with the HDRI tag. I posted this thread (http://www.cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=4166&) lately and the advice I got works fine for a white surface but doesn't seem to do the trick with a black surface.

Thanks in advance!

You're probably right about the HDRI, but if you baked the texture, then your highlights on the tool will have been from your previous image. You may have to redo the thing using the black surface. Can you post an image?

Here it is! I'm not familiar with baking texture. Could you tell more details to do so. Thank you!

Attachments

• drill_brown_bg.jpg
    drill_brown_bg.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 344
If you didn't bake the texture before, then disregard. It's simply a way to get the lighting and texture alterations saved in a pre-rendered state. This helps games keep a higher frame rate, as the game engine doesn't have to render the lighting, etc., in real time.

I'll study this and see if I can help.

Try putting a render tag on the surface and then going into the properties for the render tag. Uncheck receive radiosity and see if that helps. The lighting will pass through it. I don't know what effect this will have on the reflection of your tool. You may have to make the surface texture transparent with a little refraction (say .2), as well.

Is there any documentation on baking texture? I couldn't find any in the help. I have zero knowledge on that feature.

It's under "Tags" in the help. You can also type in "bake" in the search area at the top right of the help file. It will search for anything related. Someone else might be better at explaining the feature than I.

Regardless, I'm not sure its necessary to use it, at this point. I would try the other method I mentioned, instead. I'll see if I can recreate the problem and fix.

I tried adding a render tag, and unchecking radiosity but i end up with the same situation. I found a way to cheat my way out by rendering one without an HDRI tag to get my reflection on my black surface and a second one with the tool on a transparent background. I then overlap them in PS. It's not the cleanest method but I'm getting what I want. Good thing I only need a still image. It would be a pain if would want an animation. Thank you for your time. Let me know if you figure this out.

Cheers!

I tried adding a render tag, and unchecking radiosity but i end up with the same situation. I found a way to cheat my way out by rendering one without an HDRI tag to get my reflection on my black surface and a second one with the tool on a transparent background. I then overlap them in PS. It's not the cleanest method but I'm getting what I want. Good thing I only need a still image. It would be a pain if would want an animation. Thank you for your time. Let me know if you figure this out.

Cheers!

Will do. Sorry, I had to break out the lawn mower since it was going to rain today. Finished just in time and found a snake to boot. Anyway, I'll keep at it until I figure this out with you.

Hi all it's me again.

I'm struggling with HDRI which alters the color of my surface. I have an object lying on a black reflective floor but the surface renders brown instead of black. After doing some testing I'm positive it has to do with the HDRI tag.
Thanks in advance!

Looks to me like the color is just the reflection of the HDRI photo. If it has some of those colors in it, they will most certainly reflect.

An example is the now famous "kitchen" HDRI. I think some of the ceiling lights are yellowish incandescent, which certainly reflect as about the color you are seeing. Try running a quick render with the reflection angles set to zero. Maybe you can recognize what is reflecting in what you see on the mirror like surface.

Bill in MN

hi if you want to go for a studio light setup you could use arealights instead. If you turn on the geometry of the light you will also see them in your reflections. Alternativly you can search for studio hdri on the web. There are a couple of free ones somewhere.

Regards,
Peter

Hi all it's me again.

Thanks in advance!

Dear del_toro

There is a vry good site where I have bought some nice hdrs of studio setups which will solve your black problem I think have a look at

http://www.hdri-studio.com/

They are not expensive and for a recent job I did they proved a real time saver

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• black.png
    black.png
    193.7 KB · Views: 227
Thank you guys for your advices. I found a free set of HDRI studio files. I will test them and let you know how the render comes out.

Cheers!

Back