More Architectural Rendering

one thought on the faceting

Tim, by your models, I would say you know your way around skp. Have you considered making the tubes components with few facets while you model and reloading them with high count tubes before rendering (right click-reload).

This would allow quicker modeling, but give you better results (your results are already incredible) with the tubes. This assumes the problem you encountered is related to skp modeling, not cheetah.

I am interested in getting into cheetah to render my skp models, and these images sell the idea perfectly. thanks and keep us inspired

Scott

Thanks for the kind words, Scott... The spars have 24 sides, so I don't think it's a 'roughness' problem. It may be that some normals get hosed on import into Cheetah...

Anyway, Top Tips for getting your SketchUp models into Cheetah.

1. Use FBX import. Far smoother/fewer problems than 3ds. Only advantage with .3ds is you can save camera positions (but this must be checked in the import options preference). When Martin updates the FBX loader to import camera positions (and the sun), nation shall speak peace unto nation, and all that.

2. Before exporting from SketchUp, get a copy of Rick W's Bomb All ruby script. This will explode your model back down to its constituent faces (i.e. ungroup everything).

3. Go around you model selecting everything by material, and group those. Your model will then be composed of groups, the constituent faces of which (grammer, hem, hem) will all share the same material.

4. Export as FBX. Your model in Cheetah will now be much easier to handle, being composed of only a few groups with more logical materials assignment.

Apologies if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, here...

I know i'm a little late but... congrats on this and the other works i seen in C3D gallery and your blog: very impressive modeling, wow!:icon_thumbup:
I didn't realized you were *that* "TimD" when you asked for stuff for your C3D mag review some days ago...

best regards,
Alessandro

Back