render preview option

Wow. This was high on Martin's to-do list two years ago.

Tonio -- agree about the resolution multiplier... a simple x 1, x 2, x 4 drop-down (like in LightWave) would be sweet.

it would be nice to have an option to (area) render layers.
so when you have a scene with antialiasing/radiosity noise issues on some detail you would put a rectangle around and render the detail in a new layer of the same file, probably already looking ok but being ready for smooth blending in some imaging app.

Ive been using Strata 3d for many years and have been used/spoiled with this feature. In Strata you just select an area, from any window, to render, and with the Shift Key selected, the render output settings shows up so you can make your selection of the scene, any size or rendered with any of the rendering options.

Now that I have switched to Cheetah this would indeed be a nice feature, and timesaver.

*sigh*

Every time I see the Reply to Thread 'Render Preview Option' header in my mailbox, I always hope that it's Martin posting to say he's finally implemented it...:tongue:

Ive been using Strata 3d for many years and have been used/spoiled with this feature. In Strata you just select an area, from any window, to render, and with the Shift Key selected, the render output settings shows up so you can make your selection of the scene, any size or rendered with any of the rendering options.

Now that I have switched to Cheetah this would indeed be a nice feature, and timesaver.

Yes, Strata has a lot of nice usability features, including saving named render settings and the best directional light editor (dating back to 1991!) ever. It's a shame the basic UI has fallen so far behind.

Looking down this thread it seems like this was on the way back in 2007 (according to Martin and Tim) but not sure what's going on with it now.

I was wondering about that also but in the mean time, we can simply rend a tiny test render like 360 by 240 which is quick enough.
It would also be cool if we could render in one of the quad views instead of always bringing up the render window.

All in all, it's not a big deal but anything that speeds up the process is welcome :)

I totally agree on this. It would make things so easy to model.
Recently I modeled a complicated figure, and I really only needed bits of it rendered.

-- Jhhl.

I was wondering about that also but in the mean time, we can simply rend a tiny test render like 360 by 240 which is quick enough.

well, it is enough to see the whole scene...., but when you need to know more about material+shader, lighting effects, sample settings and so on, you need more than this. I do a lot of renders to get the best of it....having an area render preview would save about half an hour to an hour a day (at least for me).

so...it would be nice to have this feature ;-)

one more thing: pre rendering a movie with the quality of the 3D-view (I thought I read this somewhere, too^^)

100%! Area render for crtical or noisy bits of a scene would save so much time rendering the whole image with full radiosity and highest sample rates just to see the lowermost squares getting whacky...

Yes, a test-render 'selection window' would be great.

Sometimes I want to render a test for something that's at the bottom of my scene and have to wait for the whole window to render.

Partial area render

This request has been on the wish list for a long time. Of all the features I would like to see added to a future version, this is my first priority.

Going way back to Bryce, it was possible to select a partial area of a completed render and re-render it with new settings, overlaid on the original.

This is the most natural, intuitive and efficient way to work on a picture, no different than when Da Vinci perfected a detail in the Mona Lisa. He didn't repaint the whole thing over and over.

Frank's work-around window is OK, but I can't incorporate the window render within the larger render unless I want to do a it in Photoshop, which defeats the purpose of getting instant results.

Back