Mosaic Floor Tile

WIP: Mosaic tile classic design

Mosaic Tiles.jpg

It has that oriental look, good idea and execution (y)
What about the rotated version from the other thread with the subtle horizontal and vertical shift, wood look great too with tiles.

It has that oriental look, good idea and execution (y)
What about the rotated version from the other thread with the subtle horizontal and vertical shift, wood look great too with tiles.
Thanks. During a search for making Islamic patterns I found a video with that basic pattern done with a pencil, ruler and compass.
I like the weave illusion of patterns like this and other Celtic style patterns.

I'll have to consider a whole room scene incorporating all these patterns.
Beautifully done Eric :)
Thank you, I was inspired by your recent posts, so thank you for that.

Next up, this pattern caught my eye. 👁️

Bow tie pattern.jpg

Thanks. During a search for making Islamic patterns I found a video with that basic pattern done with a pencil, ruler and compass.
I like the weave illusion of patterns like this and other Celtic style patterns.

I'll have to consider a whole room scene incorporating all these patterns.

Thank you, I was inspired by your recent posts, so thank you for that.

Next up, this pattern caught my eye. 👁️

View attachment 39623
Hi Eric.

Using a pencil, straight-edge and compass is the best way to learn the traditional method of drawing Islamic patterns.

If your workflow is digital, CAD is the best tool for achieving precision by following the same hand-drawn steps line by line and arc by arc.

By 'traditional', I'm talking about the method handed down through the centuries typically from parent to child. This method was kept a secret through the generations by keeping this knowledge in the family bloodline. There are many western scholars who have developed their own methods and who get it all wrong. Mohamad Aljanabi is a living practitioner of the traditional method that was handed down through generations of his family. I follow his method.

The version you found above is not drawn correctly. Chances are the person who drew this started with a circle and is not aware of dynamic symmetry and proportion.

With the traditional method, the starting point is to first draw a rectangle that has specific proportions. In this case the rectangle is a square, but is usually a root-two rectangle or related rectangle. Irrespective of the rectangle used, it must produce shapes that are related by a specific proportion which is the square root of two. This is a continuous proportion. Historically, two advantages of using the rectangle is it doesn't waste paper (There were no Office Products stores selling this precious resource) and the rectangle is easily reflected, translated and tessellated. The above shape is more difficult to tessellate. Plus, because of the method of construction, the proportions of all the shapes in the above pattern are all over the place. If the shapes are all correctly proportioned, these shapes can be used in a huge variety of other four-fold patterns.
This is a four-fold pattern. There are two legitimate ways of drawing this geometrically, and many ways of getting it wrong.

One way to draw this pattern results in a version called Family A (there is also another that is called Family B). Below is the Family A result and construction. This is the one I prefer. The drawing in orange and grey is all that needs to be drawn using a compass and straight edge. This quadrant can then be traced and mirrored to complete the star, and this can be easily tessellated as per the tessellated drawing above it.
Four-Fold Unit.jpg

I have zipped up an SVG file if you don't want to draw it. You may need to scale it to the size that works with Cheetah's generic units.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Four-Fold Unit.svg.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Great information, I guess the pattern that caught my eye is not a proper Islamic pattern, although I don't understand why not yet.
Here's the original image I found, I redrew it for the graphic I posted.

Islamic pattern02.jpg

Broug's first book is full of mistakes and he doesn't understand mathematical proportions and how they relate to Islamic pattern design. Broug corrected his patterns for his second edition (Mohamad helped him with one, which Broug didn't acknowledge in the book). Broug added a new pattern to the new edition which had more mistakes.

If you join Mohamad's Facebook group, he has a lot of free tutorials that you can download and try. He also runs online courses (in person), so you can ask him to explain the geometry, which he is more than happy to do. He's a really nice guy.

Here is a free step-by-step tutorial (video) on how to correctly draw this pattern. Mohamad also explains why some of the Western methods are not correct. He also demonstrates how you can created a variety of new patterns from this one, but only if it's correctly constructed.

Last edited:
The video was very helpful. I can see why you use a cad program for this.
I was able to follow along, using splines for lines and circles for the arcs.

like Mohamed, I first made guide lines, then I made the lines for the design and mirrored them.
I'm sure I'll watch more of his tutorials, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Here's my test without the circles.

Mohamad Method test.jpg

Awesome!

I have tried using vector apps, but the snapping is not as precise, and problems can very quickly compound. The parametric shapes in vector apps like Illustrator and Designer always seem a bit off, so I avoid using them for geometric drawing. Even with CAD, I can make a snapping error, and find I have to undo and redraw a lot of the work once I have found the source of the mistake. But it's a wonderful feeling when it all comes together.

Working with a compass and straight edge can be equally problematic, but after a while you start to compensate as you draw. It's hard to explain, but you get a feel for what you can get away with so as not to cause problems 20 steps down the track.

Though I have almost every SVG app for macOS current or no longer available: FreeHand, Intaglio, {former) Vectornator), Eazydraw, GravitDesigner, Affinity Designer1.x/2.x, LibriOffice/Draw, (explicitly no Illustrator because of the Adobxxx subscription model and the FreeHand story), I always finish any vector work in Inkscape. Too many tools are otherwise nowhere available outside Inkscape.
I recently discovered this guy here by researching native islamic pattern generation for a project if that´s probably the Mohamed you guys a talking about would be a funny side note:

Your blog was very helpful for me to better understand the math behind the method.

I was able to recreate the guide lines by looking at yours.
I even made Cheetah look more like your images.

Minbar Pattern Guides.jpg

Back