Emergency Stop

It took me a few attempts, but I eventually got this drawn and learned a few new things along the way. The UVs were the hardest thing to get right. I wanted to model the arrow into the red button, but I got stuck on the arrow head, so I used a bump map. The amount of displacement was however less than what I wanted, but I ended up playing around with the lighting to get the arrow's highlights and shadows working.

Any tips on modelling the arrow as a negative detail. I know I'm missing something simple here.

estop.png

I would build the arrow into the geometry.
Thanks Eric. I started trying to do this, but didn't pull it off with the arrowhead. I was trying to do it all with quads and to bevel the edges a little. I like the use of the bulge modifiers. I hadn't thought of that. My starting point was the capsule polygon. For the yellow part of the button, I started with the cone.

Last edited:
It can be good to start from a flat surface.
Here's a version set up for Subdividing.

I also wanted to show how to make it all quads if you want.
Just use Insert Point twice and Weld to Middle.

For the "floor" of the arrow, quads are not needed because of the
encircling Crease, but the same can be done there.

Embossed Arrow SubD.jpg

It renders quite well.

Embossed Arrow SubD Render.jpg

Thanks again Eric. I managed to get there this time. It looks cleaner now. It does not subdivide well though. I'll keep trying.

arrow.jpg
arrow 3.jpg
subdivision-applied.jpg

You need to use Creases to control the pinched corners under the influence of the SubD.
Your edge is beveled, mine is 90 degrees to make a radius on the edge
Maybe you have different edges Creased?

Good work, getting closer. I'll show how I accomplish this later today.
The first time I did it I took a more convoluted path, but then I realized there's an easier way. ;)

This is awesome Eric. Yes, I think I got carried away with the creases.

It's so much clearer now and your approach is much simpler. I sort of muddled my way through it before, breaking my ability to do a clean loop selection in the process. The 'add point and weld' is new to me, so I'll give it all another go so I can get better acquainted with each of these steps. Thanks again.:)

Thanks Zoo for the neat GIFs explaining your all-quads fix with the Insert Points + Weld trick. This is a simple solution to a common problem. Many of my designs incorporate precise beveled indentations and seams. When I subsequently subdivide, all-quads topography ensures proper smoothing. The GIF is handy; I save these in categorized folders for future reference.

Going back to Chris Heath’s original question, I’m reminded of a couple of simple techniques that are worth mentioning. Zoo’s approach is the best, but there may be similar situations that can be adequately modeled with a variation of Chris’ original idea: “... I used a bump map. The amount of displacement was however less than what I wanted ....” I use bump maps a lot to get a little extra realism in procedural materials, and sometimes I add a Multiply node to increase the effect. I only use a few Math nodes, and Multiply is intuitive. Dial it up until it looks right.

I'm not sure about starting with the flat disk to model the arrow and bulging it afterward. Maybe less distortion if vice-versa. I have no argument against either the Bulge or Spherify Modifiers, but a lot of times you can get just the right amount of curvature using Soft Selection. In Point Mode, use the Select Tool to select the center point, then dial up the Falloff radius and pull with the Move Tool. Trial-and-error until it’s how you want it. If the Falloff radius goes beyond the outer edges of the surface, it may need to be Split and/or moved back to its original position, then Merged. Not sure what’s optimal in this case, with all the arrow details, maybe curve first and then model the arrow. But Soft Selection is simple and easy to fine-tune. I like that it’s intuitive and precise.

Last edited:
The reason for starting with a flat disc or cylinder was only
because of the equal spacing between the radiating sections.
That works well with the arrow shape.

Another way might be the Lathe option. That gives great control over the curvature,
but that wont give you equal spacing. You can run the Spline through a Loft Modifier
first, and then use Polygon to Spline to take a new spline with equal spacing.
Then Lathe the new Spline.

EA Lathe.jpg

ea_wire.gif

Hi Eric. Here is another attempt. This time with the lathed spline. I still have a few tweaks to do, but happy with how it's all coming togather. I have learned a lot over the last 48 hours. Thanks again.

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 6.54.23 PM.png

Arrow 05.jpg
Arrow 09.jpg

Hey @Joel I tried the Multiply node, but could not make it work. I had more success with the Add node, and the Subtract node had the opposite effect (embossed rather than debossed) which will be useful further down the track. I'm keen to see how you configured the multiply node. Do you have an example?
Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Thanks Chris, here's a file you can examine with Boolean Creator.

I also thought of another way to get the shape of the button using a Ball object using the Parallel To parameter.
Plus I used a Bulge Modifier to to contour the bottom of the Text object.

Stop Boolean Screen.jpg

Stop Boolean.jpg

Attachments

• Stop Boolean jas.zip
    14.8 KB · Views: 94
The ball and parallel to feature works perfectly, thank you. I recreated the arrow and created the extruded text, but I could not get the boolean modifier to work. I noticed that yours works and your boolean icon has an orange centre and a Smooth property and a Display property. Mine has a green centre and not much in the way of properties to work with so I could not reproduce the boolean effect. When I drag the objects into the boolean modifier, the objects disappear altogether.
boolean-02.jpg
boolean-01.jpg

Attachments

• test-01.jpg
    test-01.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 149
This is a simple fix, you used the Boolean Modifier, which will work but must be configured differently.
Switch it for the Boolean Creator and it should work fine.

Cool. That made a difference. I'm getting there. Now I have another small hurdle and I'm guessing it's a bug. I have created my extruded text a number of times, but there is always one letter that pops out. Once I figure that one out, I'll move onto the bulge.

I don't even know why the yellow colour is being applied to the boolean faces.

By the way, what's the difference between the creator and the modifier. Do they have different use cases?
Press 01.jpg

arrow 10.jpg

I got there in the end. Thanks again Eric. The position of the word seems to cause a letter to reverse out. Sliding it to the left or right seems to fix the problem. Sliding it too far and another letter pops out.

arrow 11.jpg

Back