Cheetah3D 7.0 - Early Adopters Beta Test

The Boolean modifier hierarchy has changed with v7.
First comes the parent object you want to add/subtract/intersect other objects. Then add the Boolean modifier to it.
Then add the child objects to the modifier.
Is this working for you? I have no clue what your mesh should look at the end.

I am attempting to add a simple box to another object.

I have tried both boolean operations(Creator and Modifier). I think there must be a problem with the base object which is an .stl file I downloaded from Thingiverse.

Base object is first image, base object and box is second image. Third image is operations I have tried. I think I have the hierarchy correct.

Attachments

• joint.png
    joint.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 511
  • joint+box.png
    joint+box.png
    51 KB · Views: 502
  • table.png
    table.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 495
  • test.jas.zip
    119.5 KB · Views: 298
Seems there´s something wrong with the STL file - but I couldn´t find the issue.
I mad a replica from scratch and all is fine and dandy:
Not sure if this will be of help of course.

Cheers
Frank

Frank,

Thanks, I was leaning towards there being a problem with the STL file. I will look at it or do like you did and recreate it. Thanks for your help!

Strange thingy; optimize tool reduces some points but it still vanishes immediately when dragged into Boolean creator. It´s labeled watertight though. Doesn´t help in the end unfortunately.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Ryan
* I have no idea what the result of the Boolean should be.
* If anything like the s/shot attached, it seems to be a stuffed .stl import. I have not incorporated the yellow gadget as I don´t know where it belongs :confused:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 18.14.11.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 18.14.11.png
    278.3 KB · Views: 488
Not quite layers, but Z - yes

Dearest Forum

I have proven the existence of Z, I may be of the opinion that Z is the wrong way around at the moment.

I took a Cheetah generated EXR (in fact both Cheetah and Falcon work), and loaded it into BlackMagic Fusion.

Displaying Z didn't work, but a Luma Key on the Z channel did work, although near and far clip were reversed for me. I've created a bump map by using a channel boolean to extract the Z, not worked out what do do with that though.

I thinking of making a short video about CheetahBeta Z.

Regards

Andy

Dearest Forum

I have proven the existence of Z, I may be of the opinion that Z is the wrong way around at the moment.

I took a Cheetah generated EXR (in fact both Cheetah and Falcon work), and loaded it into BlackMagic Fusion.

Displaying Z didn't work, but a Luma Key on the Z channel did work, although near and far clip were reversed for me. I've created a bump map by using a channel boolean to extract the Z, not worked out what do do with that though.

I thinking of making a short video about CheetahBeta Z.

Regards

Andy

That would be helpful if you had time to do it. I'm new to compositing (actually haven't done any yet).

Some Z Evidence

This took about 8 hours to render.

Z-Buffer was standard. Could try a Normalised one to see what happens ;)

Attachments

• SomeZ.jpg
    SomeZ.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 469
Yes it was Cheetah .... and ...

Frank,

I switched on Caustics because:

Caustics are an addition to your rendering that calculates photons of light starting at a light source (like real light), which can be reflected, refracted, bounced off mirrors, or concentrated by a lens, accurately simulating more of the ways real light can move through a scene.

So I was hoping for some magical qualities. Should I run again with these off?

Cheers

Andy

Well I know what caustics are - but on coplanar opaque surfaces I find it quite useless - no really contribution to the scene. See the white spot on the middle right? That´s caustics.
Instead of this you might want to check "Detail detection":

CleanCaustics.gif

Cheers
Frank

Any pointers to curing this edge alias issue?

Hi Dearest Forum

What magical settings would help cure this issue:

Cheers

Andy

Attachments

• AliasedLines.jpg
    AliasedLines.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 445
  • RenderSettings.jpg
    RenderSettings.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 434
I think this is getting a better result:

Frank

This is nearly working for me:

Could I get better?

Regards

Andy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 14.41.01.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 14.41.01.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 450
Have you tried upping your min and max samples for anti aliasing?
Is the background an image loaded in the camera?
-- shift studio.
P.s. I don't think the tolerance should ever be that low.

Last edited:
Back