Cheetah3D 7.0 - Early Adopters Beta Test

Hi,
I should have detail the pictures :
1 - the left image show the BP at 30% ; we are unable to see the mesh behind. The mesh is not ghosted.
2 - on the right image the mesh is ghosted and front of the BP. The BP opacity is 100 %. Its hard to see the BP behind.

v6 to v7 Boolean Not Working

I've tried several versions of this file and the Booleans aren't working when I open the file in v7. Anybody have any idea why? I would save the v7, but I don't have the license yet.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Boolean.zip
    231.8 KB · Views: 283
I've tried several versions of this file and the Booleans aren't working when I open the file in v7. Anybody have any idea why? I would save the v7, but I don't have the license yet.

Thanks,

V7 has a new Boolean system that's doesn't make triangulated meshes, so it's no wonder
V6 meshes with non destructive booleans would no longer work as expected.

V7 has a new Boolean system that's doesn't make triangulated meshes, so it's no wonder
V6 meshes with non destructive booleans would no longer work as expected.

Ah ok, didn't know that about the new boolean system.

I didn't test this earlier, but I just did it. If I build it from scratch in v7, then it works fine. If I import a file from v6 set up exactly the same way, it doesn't. :confused: I would think it would convert from the old system to the new.

I guess if I've created something like this in v6, then I can expect to re-create it in v7. I don't use booleans very much, but in this instance I had to as it is being 3d printed.

edit: I am a little confused by you saying it doesn't make triangulated meshes? I tested extruded text, boolean subtracted from a rectangular cube and then collapsed that. The copy definitely has triangles in it.

Last edited:
edit: I am a little confused by you saying it doesn't make triangulated meshes? I tested extruded text, boolean subtracted from a rectangular cube and then collapsed that. The copy definitely has triangles in it.

V6 Booleans triangulate the whole mesh.

Importing SVG's

Importing SVG's is giving me blank folders that get deleted on 'ungroup'.

They were created in Inkscape and saved as plain and inkscape flavours.

I can't see anything after an import, even with some zooming around. This was tested on the B16.

I attach the examples.

Hope it's simple!

Regards

Andy

Attachments

• SVGExamples.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 260

I can't see anything after an import, even with some zooming around. This was tested on the B16.

I attach the examples.

Hope it's simple!

Regards

Andy

Hi, I don't use InkScape, but I do use Illustrator all the time. I took your file into Illustrator and then made a compound path out of each shape. I don't know what they call it in InkScape, but you probably need to perform the same operation. The fills and strokes don't seem to cause a problem.

I should clarify my tests:
1 - Open your files without any modifications - I get the same result you do
2 - Open in Illustrator and remove fill and give basic 1/4pt black stroke - same results you originally got
3 - Open in Illustrator and compound path each shape - imports into C3d as expected

Last edited:

I attach the examples.

Hope it's simple!

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy, I opened the file with Affinity Designer
and exported it as a PDF and it worked perfectly.

I tested in InkScape. You need to select each shape individually and then go to:
Path > Combine (Ctrl+k) for each and then re-save the file.

This will get it to work correctly in C3d. PDF's can be more forgiving on import, but they will also combine all your splines into one object.

PDF's can be more forgiving on import, but they will also combine all your splines into one object.

That's true, I would definitely choose Illustrator if I had the option.

If there aren't to many splines it's not a problem to separate, but a pain if there are many.

Thanks to ZooHead and Swizl

I have AI available and confirm it works.

Mostly I did it as a quick test of the improved SVG import scheme.

Once again thankies ...

Andy

I have AI available and confirm it works.

Mostly I did it as a quick test of the improved SVG import scheme.

Once again thankies ...

Andy

You're welcome!

One thing I didn't notice about the Inkscape svg import after I got it working is that there were A LOT more points in the circle than there should have been. No idea why it added so many when the svg in Inkscape only had the standard 4 points for a circle? Just thought I'd mention it.

:smile: How do you use Layers in V7?

Thanks

My Best
Jeanny

There's a little colored circle in the object browser (you have to turn it on first though), that when you click on it will let you change the color. This effectively put's objects on another layer.

:)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 1.44.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 1.44.07 PM.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 496

I'm having a senior moment. What can you do once different
colors are assigned? How do I control layer visibility? :confused:

Through the Layers tab - controls visibility in viewport and for rendering.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 9.07.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 9.07.25 PM.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 495
:smile: Thanks begot for posting a screen shot of how you have your object browse set up.

It showed I needed to set up another Tab for Layers.
It also showed that In that tab there was a way to turn off the the visibility of the object in the Viewport and/or the Renderer.

I take it the different colors of the Dots help one to, more or less, group Browser items.
Please correct me if this is wrong

My Best
Jeanny

Back