Cheetah3D 7.0 - Early Adopters Beta Test

Thanks Swizl
We must have both been typing at the same time.
I'm glad you posted before I did:
I like your suggestion and will do it that way.

My Best2U
Jeanny

Thanks Swizl
We must have both been typing at the same time.
I'm glad you posted before I did:
I like your suggestion and will do it that way.

My Best2U
Jeanny

You're welcome. Whichever way works best for you. I never even tested changing the name of an app. I didn't know if it would cause a problem or not. Good to know that you can if you want.

:D

Kagi

I know some of us have or had trepidation switching from using Apple Apps to Kagi for purchasing C3D.
I used to be afraid of using anything but Apple for any app purchases but
I even ran into some problems with my account with Apple.
I'm not bad mouthing them . . . they are good to straighten things out.
I'm just stating that problems can arise anywhere online (sometimes due to user - sometimes do to merchandiser).

I can reassure you that you don't need to be apprehensive of using "Kagi".

I recently purchased the V7 upgrade and I'm quite impressed with how Kagi handled the whole transaction.
They are well organized, very efficient, very informative and user friendly. They made my purchase easy.
To sum it up in one word they are Competent.

Thanks Martin! :-D
You always have our best interests in mind.

My Best 2u
Jeanny

Kagi is probably the oldest and most reputable shareware store in existence; it actually predates the web. I've sold multiple products through Kagi over the years and bought many, many products.

They do a great job from both sides (e.g. as a software seller they do things like double-check large purchases from foreign countries where checks may not clear, etc. and as a buyer they handle refunds etc. quickly and painlessly).

My only complaints (as a seller) are that their fees are a little high (I actually sold a $5 product through Kagi, and I think they charged me over $1 out of the $5 per purchase) and integrating custom serial number code was (at least when I last looked into it) pretty painful. (My only active product doesn't sell very often, so I just respond to each purchase manually.)

Today, if I were selling a relatively "mass market" product (such as Cheetah 3D, which has thousands of active users) I would probably go with Paypal or some other less expensive option than Kagi, but I haven't investigated closely.

Boolean Modifier not auto-updating ..

when used with Isosurface-creator objects.
(Boolean-Creator works fine.)

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Bollean+Metaballs.jpeg
    Bollean+Metaballs.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 553
Help Wanted -- Apply Within

The version 7 beta looks great. UI, Booleans, Falcon will be immediately useful for what I do.

There are many new features, could anyone explain a few in particular? Searching this thread provided no matches. Obligatory Google searches provided generic technical definitions, but it would help a lot to know how these are implemented in C3D, from the perspective of a typical user. In other words, how can someone who is currently doing OK with version 6 do better with version 7? Just simple, basic explanations, please.

These are listed on the V7 Feature List:

1 “New physical BRDF material system” [Bidirectional reflectance distribution function] and “Added absorption to glass.”

At first glance, the only new thing I can see in the materials node editor is that the Dielectric material has Absorption and Density nodes, which improve realism when rendered with Falcon. How does this relate to volumetric materials and subsurface scattering? The advantage of the new “unidirectional path tracer” Falcon renderer is evident in the naturalistic light, but are there intrinsic improvements in the materials? Would any improvements be apparent if rendered in V7 with the Cheetah renderer?

2 EXR textures and G-Buffers

Is EXR preferable to HDRI? What is the purpose of a G-buffer? The feature list has EXR and G-Buffers together. How are they related?

3 How does Merge replace/improve upon Import Children?

4 “Improved Crumple tool”

V6 and V7 look the same. What changed?

Thanks for any explanations.

These are listed on the V7 Feature List:

1 “New physical BRDF material system” [Bidirectional reflectance distribution function] and “Added absorption to glass.”
2 EXR textures and G-Buffers
3 How does Merge replace/improve upon Import Children?
4 “Improved Crumple tool”
Thanks for any explanations.
1. I think everything here play-off its optimization/advantages under-the-hood and we surely will have just to deal with one material system for both renderers.
2. You´ll benefit from graphic buffers when it comes to compositing.
3. No more deleting "children" and material assignments (now up to 24) will stay intact.
4. Adapted UI layout (and code optimization I guess)

Cheers
Frank

PS: will you be so kind and use the default font size for your replies? "1" is too small. Thanks.

No Visible for primary rays in Render Tag

In the Render Tag there is no longer "Visible for primary rays"

Is there a different way to accomplish what this tag accomplishes?

An example where this is needed is in Zoohead's "Hacking the Sphere" Tutorial.
I believe the object being used as a reflective devise needs to be used yet not show as an object in the render.
Thus isn't putting a Render Tag on the reflective devise and unchecking Visible for primary rays necessary?
(Not sure how to state this technically)

I also noticed "Filter textures" is no longer in the Render Tag.
I don't remember using this or if it will be necessary at some future time.

Thanks

My Best 2U
Jeanny

Attachments

• Visible for Primary Rays V6.png
    Visible for Primary Rays V6.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 503
  • Visible for Primary Rays V7.png
    Visible for Primary Rays V7.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 485
In the Render Tag there is no longer "Visible for primary rays"
I also noticed "Filter textures" is no longer in the Render Tag.
I don't remember using this or if it will be necessary at some future time.

1. unckeck "Visible in Camera" instead.
2. Filter adjustments are now available at the image loader. "Off" will now disable interpolation completely, which means you can use tiny images as textures.

Cheers
Frank

Ohh Thank You Frank & begot !
Inspired by many Forum posts I'm working on a project that definitely needs that capability.
I'm still hoping to knock the Forum's socks off one of these days . . .
As I learn new procedures I keep adding improvements and goodies to my projects.
I can see already that V7 is going to make things better than I imagined.

My Best 2U
Jeanny

um . . . Where is it possible to uncheck "Visible in Camera"?
And is it possible to just uncheck one object?

Thanks

My Best 2U
Jeanny

Thanks again.

I was looking at the Camera Properties and the little camera icon in the object browser.
Didn't think to look in the Render Tag.

My Best 2U
Jeanny

Rendering difference of Internal color glass reflection between v6.5.2 and v7.b15

Color mixing ratio is different.
I want to know which is true.

6.3.2.jpg

7.0b15.jpg

I can't upload image.

About cube glass simulation.
For example, one is cyan, another one is yellow, others are clear.
Mixing reddish color hue of cyan->yellow light path and yellow-> cyan light path are differnt
in v6.5.2.
But both are almost same color in v7.b15.

Last edited:

6.3.2.jpg

7.0b15.jpg

I can't upload image.

For example, one is cyan, another one is yellow, others are clear.
Mixing reddish color hue of cyan->yellow light path and yellow-> cyan light path are differnt
in v6.5.2.
Hi and Welcome!
Are you on a Windows machine? Seems you´re using CYMK color space instead of RGB.
Please try to upload your images again and make sure they are not larger than 488KB:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• ImageUpload.png
    ImageUpload.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 569
Re:Rendering difference of Internal color glass reflection between v6.5.2 and v7.b15

Hi and Welcome!
Are you on a Windows machine? Seems you´re using CYMK color space instead of RGB.
Please try to upload your images again and make sure they are not larger than 488KB:

Cheers
Frank

For example, one is cyan, another one is magenta, other surface are clear.
Mixing reddish color hue of cyan->magenta light path and magenta-> cyan light path are different in v6.3.2.

Attachments

• v6.3.2.jpg
    v6.3.2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 532
  • v7b15.jpg
    v7b15.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 525
  • colorglassreflection.zip
    13.1 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Alphachannel ignored by Falcon render

Hi,
thanks Martin for the Cheetah3D 7.0 - Early Adopters Beta Test. Looks very good.
I compared the Cheetah and the falcon render.
Does Falcon ignore the alpha channel.
Look at the eye brows and the eye lashes. Cheetah render realizes the transparency but falcon ignores it. :confused:
regards
Thomas

Attachments

• Alphachannel.png
    Alphachannel.png
    303.7 KB · Views: 488
  • AlphachannelFalcon.png
    AlphachannelFalcon.png
    336.4 KB · Views: 483
alpha channel ignored by Falcon render

Hi Frank,
thanks for the quick reply,
I switched off the camera light and used a light setting with an area light an two spots. But there isn´t any transparency. Is there anything else to adjust?
Kind regards
Thomas

Attachments

• Alphachannellight.png
    Alphachannellight.png
    209.2 KB · Views: 466
Back