Microphone Mesh tutorial

All this is tempting me to learn JavaScript, in order to make tool scripts like SplineMagnet and SplineSpherise—and SplineArray to produce rows of splines in the first place (with the option to flip every second one upside-down). I'm currently getting to grips with Automator and AppleScript at the moment, though, so JavaScript may have to wait a while.

I wish I were able to, I gave up on scripting/programing after Hypercard and Supercard.
I can edit JavaScript, or HTML, I actually enjoy doing that... but not from scratch.

I hope you learn fast. ;)

The first mic I'll attempt is a Roland DR-20, a real truck of a microphone.
I think you could drive a truck over it and it would still work.
  • Image 1- Here's a picture from the net but the wires on mine look thinner.
  • Image 2- Now I realize it would be very helpful to make the control handles a different color, this hurts my eyes after a while.

Attachments

• roland-dr-20-432745.jpg
    roland-dr-20-432745.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 452
  • control points.jpg
    control points.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 454

Thanks Frank, that's so much better.
I never considered the answer was right under my nose. :redface:

Hi

The script works perfectly, it's so much easier now.

The only tedious part left really, is the selecting of every other edge and point.
I wonder, is it possible to make a script that can do that?

thank you for your comment. about a script for expanding selection, already I got a request form uncle808us a quite ago actually, but I have not finished yet. Cheetah3D allows various polygon shapes, not only quad or triangle.

I will try to add new functions for Selection Expander.js

Best

tg_jp, Hiroto.

Hi

I'm sure that is possible, but it would have to allow you to choose the point to start from, so that you choose each alternate set of second points between the spline rows.

unfortunately, script system of Cheetah3D doesn't have enough APIs to manipulate spline object ( select, move, delete ). It's still missing. :(

I have little idea for making spline curve along a spline. I will post some.

if you have some request or suggestion for my scripts, please let me know it.

Best

tg_jp, Hiroto

Today, I realised that the up and down curves of a wire mesh are always perpendicular to the shape of the mesh. This suggested an alternative way of making the up and down curves:
  1. At the half-dome stage, go into Points Mode (while the half-dome's still a polygon) and select the points in the way those of the spline curves were selected in the tutorial. (You can use the ordinary Select Tool for this.)
  2. Once all selected, use Tools -> Polygon -> Normal Move to move them out by the wire diameter.
  3. Go into Edge Mode, select the edges as per the tutorial. Bring in Polygon2Spline, choose 'Selected Edges' and 'Connect', then double-click the script to convert the edges into splines.
  4. Select all anchor points and choose Tools -> Spline -> Equal Tangent Direction.
I tried this with the hemisphere mesh and it seemed to work. This might be a useful method for irregularly shaped meshes. Also, you can set the offset of the Normal Move numerically—no need for a Guide Hemisphere.

Worth a try?

Great tip, I was pondering on how to use Normal Move
for non-spherical meshes, you beat me to it. :icon_thumbup::icon_thumbup:

You are a highly valued ant.

On that note, here's a very rough-and-ready version of a Neumann mic. Selecting the points to move isn't so hard (you turn the polygon 45 degrees and Area Select along diagonals); but making the base shape, so that its edges are mostly in a grid pattern, is a major pest. I won't do more until I can examine a real Neumann mic up close.

Attachments

• Neumann 1.jpg
    Neumann 1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 443

That's a great high end (expensive) mic.
Newman is out of my price range, but I do have a pair of original Rode NT-1s,
which are also studio side addressed large capsule condenser mics.
I was planning on doing that one last so guess you'll blaze the trail.

The Roland is looking good so far, despite scaling the points, with
the black finish it's hard to see the slight misalignment in places.
Next one I'll use normal move.

Attachments

• RolandDR20-01.jpg
    RolandDR20-01.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 442
Hi

unfortunately, script system of Cheetah3D doesn't have enough APIs to manipulate spline object ( select, move, delete ). It's still missing. :(

I have little idea for making spline curve along a spline. I will post some.

if you have some request or suggestion for my scripts, please let me know it.

Best

tg_jp, Hiroto

Maybe in the future, for now this script is a welcome and valuable tool.

Thank you
Eric

Last edited:
Beautifully done. What was your method for getting the wire mesh in that shape?

Thanks VA, I added a localized scaling step to flatten the top a bit, after I got the side contour correct.

I wonder if Martin could make it possible to bind to other shapes similar
to Spherify, like Cube-ify or Cylindrify, as well as custom shapes?

I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to work with the Polygon To Spline script.

I have my Box/Dome with all edges in one direction selected,
my round edge cylinder "target", but I must be doing something wrong.

Attachments

• Dome To Cylnder.jpg
    Dome To Cylnder.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 407
Hi

could you post hierarchy of objects at Object Browser? new script will take object that set to 'guide target' parameter as guide object, not child object. it won't use child object anymore.

Best

tg_jp, Hiroto

Here's the image, and the file.

Attachments

• P to S browser.jpg
    P to S browser.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 394
  • MeshCylinderTest.jas.zip
    202.9 KB · Views: 414
Back