Learn 3D with Cheetah 3D 6 — The Videos

Learn 3D with Cheetah 3D 6 — The Videos

I've put together videos for all the introductory tutorials, along with a few extras, available free to all (at least for now) here:

http://loewald.com/c3dbook/Video-Tutorials/

The videos are all 1080P so I have no idea if this will bring my server down. (I tried uploading versions to Youtube and the quality was terrible, and the longer tutorials wouldn't fit. Vimeo has other issues. Both take forever to upload.)

I know the sound is bad — I don't have a good microphone and my AC vent happens to be blowing right at my head when I'm at my main desk (which is a Good Thing when I'm not recording audio). I've ordered a better microphone (in the form of a very good webcam) and will redo the videos (and hopefully talk a bit slower) then, but I think these are better than nothing.

Feedback is more than welcome.

I should note that in general these videos are intended as supplementary to my book (which makes me money), so please bear that in mind! Even so, I hope they're useful on their own.

Attachments

• making-a-mug.png
    making-a-mug.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,037
Last edited:
Reactions: DEO
:icon_thumbup: Thanks Pod!
The videos are a very helpful supplement to your book. I’ve only had a chance to view one but I like the large size the clearness of it.

My Best Regards
Jeanny

Thanks for these!

I bought the book so you can rest at night knowing that the people looking at these videos are supporting you!

Microphone wise, I've done some work with these for my own videos.

I own these two and can recommend both of them:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...id=1403295624&sr=8-16&keywords=usb+microphone

Slightly more expensive, with a better sound, but this one will pick up noises like your air conditioner vent:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Micropho...qid=1403295624&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+microphone

I know the sound is bad — I don't have a good microphone and my AC vent happens to be blowing right at my head when I'm at my main desk

Even if you don't have a great mic, you can virtually eliminate background
noise if you run the track through a program like Audacity in post.
The noise has to be constant, not intermittent. When you record, include 5 seconds
of just BG noise, then you sample it and Audacity uses it to filter out that particular noise.
PS- It's a free program.

If you want a mic that has performed well in blind testing against
mics many times more expensive, check out Studio Projects-B1
Large Diaphragm Studio Condenser Microphone.
It's not USB and requires a mic preamp, it's pro audio gear.

I have a lot of experience in video production. The problem is the noise is not constant or i would have removed it. It's an air current from an AC vent gusting over my mike. Sound is a case of garbage in garbage out, so the correct solution is to fix the inputs.

I will redo the videos when my new microphone arrives and do some more besides. I am taking requests ;-)

Tonio, FANTASTIC videos!

I own and have looked through your book several times, but I learned more from the videos in about an hour than I ever did from the book (For me more a matter of seeing it in action vs reading about it)

Also, you have a great voice for these.

After listening to one with headphones last night (wife was trying to sleep) It sounds like the noise is "wind noise" ie the sound of the air hitting the microphone. I saw in your last post that you've done video production so you probably already know this but just in case, a foam windscreen and or a pop filter (Physical) will remove that sound at the source.

Hard to recommend a specific one without knowing what mic you have currently but here's one thats highly rated and affordable ($3)
http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Foam-Ba...F8&qid=1403351935&sr=8-3&keywords=wind+screen

I am taking requests ;-)

Video Suggestion:

A very simple video that I think would have some appeal is a video on how to do Minecraft "Fan art" videos.

Ie creating minecraft characters, extracting the textures from the game and applying them to the 3D models in Cheetah and possibly animating them.

:icon_thumbup:
Thanks for the videos, just bought the book in ibook store. ;)
Link

... I am taking requests ;-)

How about Cheetah as a tool for game assets or realtime engines, with topics like:
- low poly reduction/optimizing,
- texture baking,
- landscape props: trees/forest, waterfall, grass in motion...
- export rigged/boned character to directx 9c (Yes Windoof)

Ciao

I am planning to provide video versions of tutorials in the book as my first priority. I actually was invited to create a book on game development with cheetah 3d and unity by a publisher, but the deal was far worse than doing it myself (!), so i may follow up with a new volume on that topic (i'd also like to discuss native development using swift, obj-c, collada, and scenekit — but i need to wrap my head around these topics myself).

That said, if anyone wants to write a book on high poly modeling, arch viz, etc., you'll get no competition from me — totally outside my area of expertise.

I will probably publish the new book for C3D version 7 as two parts ($9.99 each) so i can put them back in the Kindle store (Amazon screws anyone pricing a book over $10). I plan to offer some kind of upgrade deal to people who have the current edition (possibly just provide it free if I can figure out a good mechanism).

W.r.t. Wind noise — yes that's exactly the problem, except the wind is from an AC vent in my new office. I expect my new microphone (actually it's a high end webcam) any day.

Last edited:
I'll second that, Great tutorial, very approachable and understandable - An hour ago, I would never have attempted any of this, after watching the video, I feel like I can do it!

- Jack

Thanks for the feedback Jack — I've re-exported the animation tutorial with keyboard and mouse actions visible, and made the use of the joint tool much easier to figure out (even though it may cost me book sales ;-) ).

Attachments

• joint tool.png
    joint tool.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 363
  • keyboard.png
    keyboard.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Thanks for the additions Tonio!
Bought your book a while back (awesome)... the vid's make a great addition to it.
Checking out the tentacle vid now, then the tools overview.
You must have gotten you new microphone, sound is very good now.
(and quality of the vid's is fantastic!)

Regards,
ALinCAL

ZooHead — I replaced the video with a better version that shows keystrokes and so forth. You probably picked the wrong moment :)

Back