Actual size of objects?

Actual size of objects?

Hi, I'm learning Cheetah and trying to determine what the actual size of objects are. I understand that there are no strict units of measurement, like 1 can be 1 inch or 1 meter or whatever. I get that.

My issue is that sizes don't seem consistent. I insert cube and it's defaults to 1 x 1 x1. I then double click it to turn it into a polygon object, measure it with the ruler, and it tells me one side is 2.920? But then under properties, it still says 1?

Coming from Lightwave, Hexagon, and Carrara, where you select an object and it tells you the actual measurements of the bounding box, and they are relative to one another, this is really confusing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 8.39.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 8.39.00 PM.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 539
I was just reading this post and maybe this has something to do with folders and groups? So objects are sized relative to their groups and not the "universe"?

I'm also wondering why you can see the length, width, and height of an inserted object in the properties panel, but once it's converted to a polygon object, that information doesn't appear anymore and you need to use the ruler to measure.

So confused...

Try to keep the scale 1 to 1 to 1. If you do change it
you can "Burn" the Transformation to bring it back.

You're right about the folder, or any object for that matter.
If the scale of your object or folder isn't 1-1-1, and you create a new object
while within that object, it inherits that off scaled coordinate system.

Try to deselect everything first.

Tu bes or not To bes

When you create an object as a hierarchical child of another object (a folder or an object proper) any transformation you have applied to the parent object will be "inherited" by the child object.
In the example below the parent folder is Y-scaled and this scale is inherited by the children, a (box and a ball).
Note that the only parameter which is transformed is the Y-scale of the parent folder. The subordinate objects on the object level have standard parameters of 1, even if they are clearly scaled in the Y-axis.
FWIW: The ruler works on parametric objects. There is no requirement to make an object editable to measure linear dimensions or angles.
Cheers from Vienna

Attachments

• scene.png
    scene.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 500
  • panels.png
    panels.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Addendum for Newbies (and Tubies)

The above also applies to modifiers, which - by definition - are subordinate child objects. Note that in the sample below the parent tube (probably one of the many tubes in your family):tongue: is Y-scaled.
The modifier has the scale (1;1;1) in a cage of (1;1;1). Nevertheless is it obvious that the cage is scaled and the bend-modifier is distorted vertically as (see above response) it has inherited the parental tweaks.
Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 17.03.25.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 17.03.25.png
    268 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Back