3D orbit of a 3D model...

Hi.. well I got very excited about this ShiVa3D but when I installed the player on my laptop nothing happened so I downloaded the stand a lone version.. it began to open a window but then closed like it was crashing... I tried a few times but same thing happened... My laptop is running Windows 7 so not sure why....

At least the glc works on Windows.. so thats a good thing... I would really rather just put the graphic inside a html file to keep it simple for the viewer but this might not be possible....

Its now getting late so thats it for another day... I feel I am sooo close but not there yet... Thank you for all your suggestions and help...

Destiny.....

ShiVa3D and the personal version is free. Unity will do it also, plus a bunch of other games engines. (check out my vimeo links below I show importing dae files).

Sorry to say the mtl file is not like that.. its a script of some kind that feeds off a bunch of images.. I put the model into Poser and Mayer and it just drops in automatically onto the model... I tried to work out a way to export the texture map in a different formate but my knowledge in this is not good... Poser's texture are normally a crazy looking png or jpg file.. its some kind of code that maps this image to the model.. THe graphic is actually a template...

Destiny....

Already grey for many years now! So don´t worry about one or two more grey hairs.:p

I have no idea if something like preview.app exists on the Windowed side as the Collada support comes straight from Apples OS - i guess.

No luck with mtl. There was a script which is broken. If it´s a simple image you can load it manually by generating a new "material" and load the image into the "diffuse" channel and drag it onto the mesh in the object browser.

Cheers
Frank

I know what the mtl is for - but simple truth is: Cheetah3d don´t support it for import. Join the specific thread in the wishlist.forum and chime in.

Cheers
Frank

If you're trying to render OBJ files in the browser and you don't need textures then... try JavaScript.

http://jsc3d.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/jsc3d/demos/test.html

This is a JavaScript class library that will render OBJs with materials (presumably the image files need to be located correctly) complete with textures at a decent speed. (At least for the ~10-30k triangle meshes; for the 80k bunny it was nasty.)

b.t.w. Unity Indie is free and works a whole lot better than ShiVa, but I don't think it will load 3d files at runtime unless they're in Unity's internal format. Of course, writing an OBJ renderer in Unity, even with material support, would be pretty easy if you knew what you were doing.

Last edited:
this just crossed my mind: could 3d PDF be a solution? apple preview doesn't support them but acrobat reader (cross platform) does...

cheers,
Alessandro

emm.. well I saw a movie demo on a 3D pdf but I cannot find where it is.. but yes.. you might have something there... I will definitely look at this.. Everyone can view a pdf with a small player...

Thank you Alessandro.. I will let you know how I go....

Destiny

this just crossed my mind: could 3d PDF be a solution? apple preview doesn't support them but acrobat reader (cross platform) does...

cheers,
Alessandro

oh man.... yes.. the java might be the way to go.. but I do not know what I am doing... sooooooooo blond..

I will check out the Unity Indie, I was very excited when I opened the ShiVa web site.. it talked about iPad support.. that is something I haven't even mentioned... I did not want to go there since its just another spanner in the cog....

I will check out Unity Indie

Destiny

If you're trying to render OBJ files in the browser and you don't need textures then... try JavaScript.

http://jsc3d.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/jsc3d/demos/test.html

This is a JavaScript class library that will render OBJs with materials (presumably the image files need to be located correctly) complete with textures at a decent speed. (At least for the ~10-30k triangle meshes; for the 80k bunny it was nasty.)

b.t.w. Unity Indie is free and works a whole lot better than ShiVa, but I don't think it will load 3d files at runtime unless they're in Unity's internal format. Of course, writing an OBJ renderer in Unity, even with material support, would be pretty easy if you knew what you were doing.

JavaScript (not Java) is probably a better fit. It works everywhere, requires no plugins. Assuming your meshes are light enough (<20k triangles) it seems quick enough.

I need to build a test mesh and see how well it works with a baked meshes.

I did a bit of quick experimentation:

http://loewald.com/html5/3d/

On the plus side — it's very easy to use.

On the minus side — it's orthographic only right now (I'm guessing the guy writing it doesn't have much of a 3d background, because writing a perspective renderer is not exactly difficult).

It's a very liberal license (MIT -- "do anything you like but keep this notice"), so it occurs to me that I could (a) modify the library to allow perspective rendering, and (b) produce a simple PHP file that takes a directory of OBJ, STL, MTL etc. files and gives you a 3d gallery.

could 3d PDF be a solution?

Just had to take this for a spin.

The catch is that PDF will only accept U3D files. I used MeshLab to do the conversion. (Export OBJ and MTL out of Cheetah, import into MeshLab, export as U3D with Wedge > TexCoord selected.)

Pretty interesting. Trying to light for it is a challenge though ...

File is too big to post so you can grab it from here. (You can't view it in the browser; it must be opened in Acrobat 9 or later.)

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve.. well that was very interesting... I often piggy back.. parden with pun since you are using a pig as your demo.... to bounce from one software app to anther.. I love cross platform software... Probably why I don't like Corel.. Corel only like Corel..

Is this render true to what you created it at... ??

I found out something very interesting last night.. To be honest, until I checked into your forum I had no idea about the Collada thing.. I ignored it a bit since I had no idea what it was... but oh man... its great... The option to view it in a Mac is just wonderful.. such as shame Windows does not do the same since then I would not have an issue... but the GLC player will so all is not lost... but I want a similar player as Mac for Windows so it does not intimidate the viewer in downloading a software looking app.. even though to me its got lots of options in the way the model can be viewed....

The problem with Cheetah is the mtl file.. The 3D scanner creates this file but I do not know if there are other options for the texture output.. I have sent an email asking this... What I found out last night during testing is Poser has a new Beta plugin that exports a Collada file... I tested it and it works fine and Poser also accepts the mtl file for the texture...

Its quite amazing the knowledge and ideas that can come out of forums like this.. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and I could never do without people like you.. The other forums I chat on regarding my VR movies are equally as knowledgeable and soooo willing to help and pass on their knowledge..

The pdf animation process is really cool.. I will have to play and test this out.. I really do not mind piggy backing from one app to the next if it means the outcome is what I am looking for..

I had a thought that if a dae file works on a Mac, does anyone know if it will play on a iPad???? I tried to send a dae file but it bombed out... I have an i...thing but forgot what it is.. It looks like an iPhone but it just plays music... I was wondering if the dae file would play on that...

If I open an obj file, it will play on the GLC player.. so its looks just like the Window dae view in GLC..

I have a few weeks to put up a showcase of rotating 3D models... I am not going to buy the scanner until I get the work.. It is my hope that when the client sees the 3D models spin turn and zoom etc they will like it and get the idea and give me the contract....

Destiny....

Just had to take this for a spin.

The catch is that PDF will only accept U3D files. I used MeshLab to do the conversion. (Export OBJ and MTL out of Cheetah, import into MeshLab, export as U3D with Wedge > TexCoord selected.)

Pretty interesting. Trying to light for it is a challenge though ...

File is too big to post so you can grab it from here. (You can't view it in the browser; it must be opened in Acrobat 9 or later.)

Steve

Last edited:
Well, I guess I was pushing my luck with trying to get a dae file to show on my iPod thing.. I am guessing it will be the same with an iPad.. The texture showed as a jpg from Poser.. but the dae file showed as script... .bummer!!!... I wonder if there is a player for iDevices..

Destiny...

I have just checked out the example 3D Models in Cheetah... The Gecko is great but Marty is just wonderful... but.... who decided to blow poor old Marty up.... better to have blown the jet up... I think my students would love to do the jet.... Might have to work out a way to get a grant to buy it for my school.... oh hum, so little money in schools.... I want to see if I can get my head round the bone thing.. I always wanted to learn how to do that....

How do I apply to extend the day..... never enough time... :frown:

Destiny...

Hey.. its been more than 24 hours... so where is your script.... I forgot to tell you.... I am a very impatient woman.... :tongue: :icon_thumbup:

I think so many good things have come out of this thread.. and, perhaps a new script that everyone can use.... ;)

The big meanies that offer an Ed Discount for the Scanner and Software say I might not really be entitled to its.. Its only a couple of hundred $$.. Not to worry.. they also asked me to advise them of my students progress so it can be published on their web sit.. but I am not under any obligation to do that.. I think it works both ways... .. I do intend to use the Scanner for school use too but my fist project, if I get the work, will be for me...

Question.. are all the tools supposed to work in the trail of Cheetah.. I cannot seem to get them to do much.... like highlight the vertex etc... strange thing..

D...

I did a bit of quick experimentation:

http://loewald.com/html5/3d/

On the plus side — it's very easy to use.

On the minus side — it's orthographic only right now (I'm guessing the guy writing it doesn't have much of a 3d background, because writing a perspective renderer is not exactly difficult).

It's a very liberal license (MIT -- "do anything you like but keep this notice"), so it occurs to me that I could (a) modify the library to allow perspective rendering, and (b) produce a simple PHP file that takes a directory of OBJ, STL, MTL etc. files and gives you a 3d gallery.

I could not not understand why nothing worked so I uninstalled it and put it back.. Now the edit works... really strange....:confused: :confused:

Destiny...

Well.. more experimenting going on in the Destiny campus.... I found out that I can create and edit my textures for rendering onto a model using Photoshop.. You might say.. of really.... never knew that one..!! but... this bit you might not have know.. did you know you can export as a dae file from Photoshop too... and you can paint on the model for final texture rendering... just like ZBrush.. or Mudbox... Then drop it all back into Cheetah.. for animation..

I tried to put the pdf with the 3D interactive into my iPod.. it will not work... the rest of the pdf shows but not the model.. to be honest I am over iDevices.. they sux... no flash content either, nothing works much... amazes me why anyone bothers with them... most graphics we all use don't work in them... I for one will not bother buying an iPad until I can get Flash in them...

So, it looks like its going to be the GLC_player.. I have been playing with that so much.. its just great... it can export a sequence of images and more.. I took a model from Poser but the first try there was no textures so I just had to tell it which ones they were and it works great after I saved it.... I can take the left and right info window away and put it to fullscreen and its wonderful... Is a player with so many options.. and its free.. well... when you don't bother going to he Steve Robs Apple shop.. Robs from the poor and gives to the rich.. mainly himself... I can't bag him too much since I love my Mac....

D....

Back