Gradient

Gradient

* Is there a way to animate a gradient?
* I have a basic model of a neuron. To simulate the impulse traversing the axon (= the thinnish tail end of the cell which connects it to the neurons "down the line") I want to show a green band "sliding" along the axis (simplified; the details are not relevant).
* Keyframing position / colour of the gradient´s node has zero effect.

* As this is a saltatory propagation I can fake it by assigning a number of materials with different settings for the gradient and toggling those materials on/off in the objects material node. A bit clumsy and a proper animation would be more professional.

* Sorry, my expertise in node manipulation is rather limited.
* I was reasonable sure that there has been a thread on that, about a year ago, but I can not locate it.
* Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• Gradients M1.png
    Gradients M1.png
    349.7 KB · Views: 279
Hi Helmut.
No that´s not possible. You need to make an image texture and keyframe the UV offset (proper UVs presumed):

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• TextureAnime.gif
    TextureAnime.gif
    56.7 KB · Views: 299
Hi Helmut,
given proper UVs, the time output of the state node together with a pulse node can do what you want in an automatic way:

spiral.gif

Attachments

• spiral.jas.zip
    13.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
* Thank you Frank and Miss OS!
* These definitely look like constructive suggestions.

* Unfortunately, I will be forced to learn cooking with nodes and noodles. Understanding materials properly has been on my "To Do" list for ages, just below the line "STOP PROCRASTINATING TOMORROW!"
* Having waited for tomorrow for many years I gradually give up hope. It always is TODAY :tongue: :confused: :tongue:

* This will be a basic template for a series of (increasingly complex) models on neurology, so having a solid and flexible concept on square one will be of great help. Thank you for your help.

* I was reasonable sure that there has been a thread on that, about a year ago, but I can not locate it.

Maybe here?

Territan posted there a 3D position based solution instead of a UV based one.
That would work too if the axon is straight with no knots :tongue:
The setup with a pulse node (Frank's idea) is the same either way and it has a "smooth" property to soften the edges of the band.

Last edited:
Back