OpenGL and OpenCL are deprecated in macOS 10.14

It's not so bad as it sound. They will be supported, but in current versions. Dropping OpenGL is more of a cross platform issue. As Cheetah3D is a macOS exclusive app, eventual support for Metal API in upcoming versions is welcome. They had some good news about requested dark mode feature and looser app sandboxing rules. Maybe that will help Martin to eventually redistribute Cheetah3D in the Mac App Store. Who knows. ;)

Yep, so far I’m going to be sticking with 10.12 anyway. I know several people that updated to High Sierra and have had massive problems. They all rolled back to 10.12. Plus I need Illustrator CS5, and it won't run on High Sierra.

I'll wait on the sidelines and see how it pans out.

... I need Illustrator CS5, and it won't run on High Sierra. ...

I'm running Illustrator and InDesign CS5 on High Sierra. I had to update Java something. So, it runs, but when you quit Illustrator or InDesign, the Finder reports that it crashed. When you open Illustrator or InDesign, the last .ai or .indd file you were using re-opens.

So - take what you want from that ;)

--shift studio.

I'm running Illustrator and InDesign CS5 on High Sierra. I had to update Java something. So, it runs, but when you quit Illustrator or InDesign, the Finder reports that it crashed. When you open Illustrator or InDesign, the last .ai or .indd file you were using re-opens.

So - take what you want from that ;)

--shift studio.

Thanks! :cool:

I'll probably get around to testing on a secondary drive at some point. I have a MacPro5,1 at home that is super easy to swap drives in and out of. I actually use CC 2018 mostly now, but we have over 20 years of FreeHand files. The only two version of Illustrator that have built in translators for FH are CS4 and CS5. So as long as I can open CS5 to convert FH files, it would work for me. There have been a building number of bugs that will never be fixed when updated to newer OS's. The eyedropper tool won't sample any bitmap image anymore. There are a few other bugs, but it never stopped me from working. The crash on quit is a known issue too. It wipes the preferences out each time as well. There is a work around though. You have to make the CS5.5 Service Manager folder inactive. Some people delete it, but I've added a ".bak" (backup) to the end of the folder. It's located in: HD > Library > Application Support > Adobe. I'm not sure if that will fix the issue for you, but you can try it.

One bigger issue is Apple Mail working with my work Exchange server. One of my co-workers upgraded her laptop to High Sierra and it totally screwed up her email. One of our IT guys tried for fix it for days before just telling her she would be better off rolling it back to 10.12.

Have you had any issues with 10.13?

Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer run great on High Sierra Looking forward to testing out Affinity Publisher Beta this year as well. :D

I have a 2016 MBP running High Sierra without issues because most of my apps are from Mac App Store. I also have some apps purchased on third party websites that had a very short lifetime. Usually you can't run them on the next OS iteration (to be fair they were on sale). Also they're dropping support for 32-bit apps. If you go to Mac App Store for apps and Steam for games you'll be fine. :icon_thumbup:

Apple always had it's "Catch-22", ie;
Moving Cheetah3D preview from OpenGL to Metal would eliminate bunch of older Mac models that don't support Metal.
In Mojave OpenGL and OpenCL will be deprecated.

If you go to Mac App Store for apps and Steam for games you'll be fine. :icon_thumbup:
How boring is this. :D :p
Are you sure about Steam? And what about safety on Steam? Last time I wanted to create an account (I have LittleSnitch installed) it wants to connect to more than 60 servers just for the registration process: sick! I gave up.
In Mojave OpenGL and OpenCL will be deprecated.
It will - but it will stay: https://developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new/
I´m definitely not going for a new Mac just because of the macOS desert - as it got a brutal expensive repair on its graphic board this year (one one 3 years ago). :frown:

Cheers
Frank

I still use Pixelmator bought on Mac App Store in 2011 with regular updates and support. Another example; Hotline Miami still works on Steam but DRM free copy from Humble Bundle doesn't. Boring or not, it's more convenient.

I'm more worried about junk that is now selling on Steam than their DRM server communication. :smile:

Deprecated isn't synonymous with removed.

As a developer, i'm still curious to see which way Cheetah will be going: stay on GL as long as possible, switch to Metal, or switch to Vulkan with a wrapper like MoltenVK?

Is maybe a deprecation like that plus all the recent turmoil in the Apple ecosystem enough to think about a Windows/Linux port again? Personally, I haven't updated to Cheetah 7 yet because I now have so many broken apple machines at home that I just can't really justify investing in new Mac software anymore. That would certainly change if Cheetah were available on another platform... one can only dream.

Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer run great on High Sierra Looking forward to testing out Affinity Publisher Beta this year as well. :D

The Affinity people are doing some amazing things with their apps. There are a few features missing that make it not viable for us to use. At least when it comes to Illustrator.

I don't know how I didn't see this before, but we're in the same city. I work in Grant Park and live in Chamblee (for now) :cool:

the crash on quit is a known issue too. It wipes the preferences out each time as well. There is a work around though. You have to make the CS5.5 Service Manager folder inactive. Some people delete it, but I've added a ".bak" (backup) to the end of the folder. It's located in: HD > Library > Application Support > Adobe. I'm not sure if that will fix the issue for you, but you can try it.
Have you had any issues with 10.13?

Interesting info - thanks! I’m not using cc2018 because I don’t want to pay for it.
For illustrator and InDesign my needs haven’t changed (from cs5), and I generally don’t use them more than a few times per month so I’ve been holding off as long as I can. I do subscribe to the ‘photography package’ for adobe creative suite. It includes photoshop cs18 - and that’s my main thing. It’s $10usd per month.

I haven’t had any problems with high Sierra.

—Shift Studio

... looser app sandboxing rules. Maybe that will help Martin to eventually redistribute Cheetah3D in the Mac App Store. Who knows. ;)

I actually like the idea of the Mac App Store for many reasons. I'd buy the app again if that were the distribution model. Since we're seeing other apps coming back to the Mac App Store that left over sandboxing worries, I would hope that this would be the case. After all, I wouldn't have known about Cheetah if not for MAS.

Interesting info - thanks! I’m not using cc2018 because I don’t want to pay for it.
For illustrator and InDesign my needs haven’t changed (from cs5), and I generally don’t use them more than a few times per month so I’ve been holding off as long as I can. I do subscribe to the ‘photography package’ for adobe creative suite. It includes photoshop cs18 - and that’s my main thing. It’s $10usd per month.

I haven’t had any problems with high Sierra.

—Shift Studio

I'm a graphic designer myself and used Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign all my life. At work, I still you adobe because they are scared to switch. I can understand that from a company point of view.

At home for my job that I do aside , I use Affinity Designer as a fully featured alternative to Illustrator (and bit photoshop) , Affinity Photo as an alternative to Photoshop/Lightroom and i'm waiting a long time to try out Affinity Publisher that will be an Indesign app , just look at the nice sneak preview :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZHAk1a8vi0

OpenGL isn’t provided by the OS in Windows and somehow folks struggle on. When the official Mac 3D library was QuickDraw3D a whole bunch of developers shipped OpenGL with their apps as a library (which Apple eventually licensed). So, I imagine Martin can do something similar should the need arise.

That said, I think Metal is the future. Apple today isn’t Apple in 1995. It executes consistently well across the board. It’s unfortunate that Apple is going to a proprietary 3D library, but the underlying tech stack (vertex and pixel shaders) is more relevant than the API frameworks anyway.

The big question is whether C3D will start leveraging any of this technology. It doesn’t do much with modern OpenGL features anyway.

Back