Cheetah3D 7.0 - Early Adopters Beta Test

Version 7 beta:
How can I set up two render settings with different resolutions. one at 960 X 540 and another at 2256 X1249 and be able to switch between them.

I don't believe there is any way to set and toggle between resolution or render pre-sets. Would be a nice feature but for now you have to manually change settings in the render tab.

Does v7 have volumetric lighting?. I had a quick look at the v7 beta but could not see if there was that feature. If not, does anyone know if it is to be added in? I've been hoping for it to be added to Cheetah for years.

Does v7 have volumetric lighting?

Not yet. I believe that one of the benefits of Falcon (the new renderer) is that it makes implementing volumetric effects easier/possible.

What we do get is motion blur, depth of field, caustics, and a lot of other nice stuff, essentially "for free" as well as getting near instant feedback on renders.

What we do get is motion blur, depth of field, caustics, and a lot of other nice stuff, essentially "for free" as well as getting near instant feedback on renders.

How are the render times with motion blur? That can sometimes be a hit.

How are the render times with motion blur? That can sometimes be a hit.
I set up a very simple scene with Falcon motion blur (camera and transform) on and off. Motion blur adds about 10-15% to the render time.

If you key an animation but render a still frame, it will not include motion blur; animation renders only. If you really need a single frame with motion blur, set frames per second to 1, drag both sides of the animation duration slider to the frame you want, and save the resulting single frame 'video' as PNG. The video file should work in most NLEs, or use an app that exports it to an image sequence; I still have Quicktime Pro 7, which can export a video as an image sequence.

Last edited:
Not yet. I believe that one of the benefits of Falcon (the new renderer) is that it makes implementing volumetric effects easier/possible.
Thanks. I really hope this feature arrives very soon as I had a lot of fun creating atmospheric scenes using it with Caligari trueSpace back in my Windows days.

Hi, I just download the beta and I discover new with happiness. Thank you Martin to keep alive C3D. Since 2009 I take great pleasure to work with this software. Congratulations for this v7. Best regards.

Camera's output resolution

It looks really great.:smile:
- But how do you change the camera's output resolution size?

Thanks for the upgrade!

Thanks for the upgrade, it is awesome! :icon_thumbup:

Hope many users will find it useful for their works.

I find holding on the option while navigating the camera useful, it prevents accidental camera moving which happened very frequently in Cheetah 6 due to sensitive touch mouse.

Please keep it up!
Looking forward to future versions.

While I haven't used it much yet, the new version seems to make files that are more compatible with my 3D printer.

Polygon brush

Hello Martin!
I like very much this funkcion!:icon_thumbup:
Its a big help by building objects.
Thx

Back