Cheetah3D User Forum  


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
  (#11)
ZooHead (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
ZooHead's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,238
Join Date: 28.03.2013
Location: Maine, USA
Default 21.12.2013, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene66 View Post
This was troublesome for me - unfinished - but a good start

Your material is nice, much better than my attempts.

   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
podperson (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
podperson's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,232
Join Date: 26.03.2007
Default 21.12.2013, 14:30

Good work by everyone except you're missing a critical detail in all your models (and isn't this a modeling competition?) The lid is not constructed the way you've got it in any of your models. (Pretty much all plastic lids seem to be made this way.) I made a rough attempt but it's less than perfect (the ridges are separate geometry to begin with) — this is a case where it would be great to be able to boolean the "sharp" geometry and then apply something like Blender's "bevel" modifier.
Attached Images
 


Learn 3D with Cheetah 3D 6 | Master List of C3D Tutorials | Master List of Scripts (please post omissions to the threads) | Decorated Pig | Blog
MacBook Pro 2.8GHz (4 core) 16GB RAM | Mac Pro 3.2GHz (4 core) 24GB RAM nVidia 1070 | Cheetah 3d 7.x | OS X 10.12.x
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
ZooHead (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
ZooHead's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,238
Join Date: 28.03.2013
Location: Maine, USA
Default 21.12.2013, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by podperson View Post
Good work by everyone except you're missing a critical detail in all your models (and isn't this a modeling competition?) The lid is not constructed the way you've got it in any of your models. (Pretty much all plastic lids seem to be made this way.) I made a rough attempt but it's less than perfect (the ridges are separate geometry to begin with) this is a case where it would be great to be able to boolean the "sharp" geometry and then apply something like Blender's "bevel" modifier.

Good call, sometimes the original image is low res, and that's where outside research is important.
As you say "Pretty much all plastic lids seem to be made this way". I couldn't see the cap
to well in the picture with my eyes, so I designed my own.

I must say I'm not to comfortable in a competition anyway.
You looking to be a Judge? With no judge, is it really a competition?

   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
Pat88 (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Pat88's Avatar
 
Posts: 467
Join Date: 31.05.2013
Default 21.12.2013, 18:39

Hi all,

Made mine a couple of days ago, just found materials, lighting and rendering a real problem... finally got somewhere though, palpable relief

File size was OK so the model is here as well.

Cheers all, Pat

PS - Added a render of the model in the jas file.
Attached Images
  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Soap Dispenser.jas.zip (206.3 KB, 355 views)

Last edited by Pat88 : 21.12.2013 at 18:51. Reason: Added image of build
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
GardenSpider (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
GardenSpider's Avatar
 
Posts: 876
Join Date: 26.11.2008
Default 21.12.2013, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat88 View Post
Hi all,

Made mine a couple of days ago, just found materials, lighting and rendering a real problem... finally got somewhere though, palpable relief

File size was OK so the model is here as well.

Cheers all, Pat

PS - Added a render of the model in the jas file.

Great lighting work here!
And did you add the rim light in Photoshop using a glow tool?

-- GS.


Lurking somewhere in the shadows...
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
ZooHead (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
ZooHead's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,238
Join Date: 28.03.2013
Location: Maine, USA
Default 21.12.2013, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat88 View Post
Hi all,

Made mine a couple of days ago, just found materials, lighting and rendering a real problem... finally got somewhere though, palpable relief

File size was OK so the model is here as well.

Cheers all, Pat

PS - Added a render of the model in the jas file.

Great job pat, I like the stoneware texture. Is that an image based material?

   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
Pat88 (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Pat88's Avatar
 
Posts: 467
Join Date: 31.05.2013
Default 22.12.2013, 10:08

Thanks GS, Eric

No extra work afterwards in Photoshop, I used a 'cloudy fuzz' hdri image I made that I use to vary the lighting effect by rotating the image, this can work to good effect, but also can be rather unpredictable, together with an area light, and a touch of DoF.

The materials are procedural, as in the jas file, though I 'tweaked' them a bit for the final version. I'm trying to get to grips with the materials system and came up with other useful ones along the way, mostly by accident rather than design

Cheers, Pat
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
podperson (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
podperson's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,232
Join Date: 26.03.2007
Default 22.12.2013, 14:53

@zoohead — I can always be depended on to see flaws in stuff. It's my gift/curse.


Learn 3D with Cheetah 3D 6 | Master List of C3D Tutorials | Master List of Scripts (please post omissions to the threads) | Decorated Pig | Blog
MacBook Pro 2.8GHz (4 core) 16GB RAM | Mac Pro 3.2GHz (4 core) 24GB RAM nVidia 1070 | Cheetah 3d 7.x | OS X 10.12.x
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
ZooHead (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
ZooHead's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,238
Join Date: 28.03.2013
Location: Maine, USA
Default 22.12.2013, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by podperson View Post
@zoohead I can always be depended on to see flaws in stuff. It's my gift/curse.

We are all different parts of the same puzzle, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy Holidays to you, and all your friend and family.

Eric

   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
Jeanny (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Posts: 1,099
Join Date: 01.02.2012
Default 23.12.2013, 16:53

Quote:
We are all different parts of the same puzzle, and I wouldn't have it any other way

Fine Wisdom!

Jeanny
   
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com