Cheetah3D User Forum  

Old
  (#11)
Gavin (Offline)
Benutzer

Default 02.05.2016, 07:40

A small suggestion: name the application on the DMG Cheetah3D-beta so people don't overwrite the release version (I suppose they can coexist on the same system.)

Old
  (#12)
Gavin (Offline)
Benutzer

Default 02.05.2016, 07:48

Plus another: Please restore camera zoom on the Apple mighty mouse without having to press any modifier keys. Thx!

Old
  (#13)
frank beckmann (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 02.05.2016, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
A small suggestion: name the application on the DMG Cheetah3D-beta so people don't overwrite the release version (I suppose they can coexist on the same system.)
MacOSX will ask you before you can replace it.
Quote:
Plus another: Please restore camera zoom on the Apple mighty mouse without having to press any modifier keys. Thx!
Scroll-wheel will now change the selection radius in first place.

Cheers
Frank

Old
  (#14)
Gavin (Offline)
Benutzer

Default 02.05.2016, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank beckmann View Post
MacOSX will ask you before you can replace it.

Scroll-wheel will now change the selection radius in first place.

Cheers
Frank

None of these are very good answers, because the default OS X behavior for the mighty mouse is zoom or scroll. – Meaning people have to unlearn acquired behavior. Besides people probably spend more time zooming and navigating around their model than selecting.

Yes, it will ask before replacing, but there is no way to rename the version in the DMG as it is read only, so you first will have to copy to a different location, then rename and finally place in applications. More steps and more error prone.

Otherwise it looks great so far!

Old
  (#15)
frank beckmann (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 02.05.2016, 08:31

MacOSX will allow both versions in the application folder - so you can rename it there - I know: just one extra step.

Cheers
Frank

Old
  (#16)
Gavin (Offline)
Benutzer

Default 02.05.2016, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank beckmann View Post
MacOSX will allow both versions in the application folder - so you can rename it there - I know: just one extra step.

Cheers
Frank

Yeah, I know, but someone will overwrite the release install, and you are the one who get to handle the support calls. )

Old
  (#17)
Martin (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer
Site Admin

Default 02.05.2016, 08:50

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but someone will overwrite the release install, and you are the one who get to handle the support calls. )

Hi,
I don't think too many will ignore the OS X warning. If that really becomes a problem I can rename Cheetah3D in the next beta. But it would surprise me.

Bye
Martin

Old
  (#18)
Gavin (Offline)
Benutzer

Default 02.05.2016, 09:03

A question about compatibility:

Are there any features or file format changes that prevents a model written by the beta to open in the release version (apart from bugs obviously)?

Thanks,

Old
  (#19)
frank beckmann (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 02.05.2016, 09:15

No compatibility issues - but I won´t start more than one Cheetah3d version at a time.

Cheers
Frank

Old
  (#20)
Martin (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer
Site Admin

Default 02.05.2016, 09:24

Quote:
None of these are very good answers, because the default OS X behavior for the mighty mouse is zoom or scroll. – Meaning people have to unlearn acquired behavior. Besides people probably spend more time zooming and navigating around their model than selecting.

The various camera navigation types are often used in combination. You rarely make just a zoom or just a rotation or just a move. It's often a combination of these three. I think it's more consistent if all camera navigation types require the ALT key. Please don't forget that the standard OS X behaviour was not intended for a 3D camera.

Preview.app also uses ALT+Scroll wheel for zooming when viewing DAE files. So ALT+Scroll wheel for zooming is not too uncommon in OS X.

Since the scroll wheel is now also used for other tasks it would be pretty inconvenient to press/release the ALT key again and again during camera navigation.

Quote:
Otherwise it looks great so far!

I'm happy to hear that.