Cheetah3D User Forum  

Old
  (#11)
SurfingAlien (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 17.02.2012, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by podperson View Post
I'm doing my best to make the material system intelligible to the math-averse, we'll see if I succeed.

I bet that would be a blessing for a ton of users (as much as I love the math thingie)

I can't remember if I already told you but feel free to use anything I posted without further questions if you find something that may be worth... and let me know if you need anything regarding archviz

cheers,
Alessandro

Old
  (#12)
Daveroony (Offline)
Benutzer

Default 17.02.2012, 11:26

Excellent! I look forward to seeing it.

Regards
Dave

Old
  (#13)
podperson (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 21.02.2012, 16:57

Bumping this post.

Learn 3D with Cheetah 3D 6 | Master List of C3D Tutorials | Master List of Scripts (please post omissions to the threads) | Decorated Pig | Blog
MacBook Pro 2.8GHz (4 core) 16GB RAM | Mac Pro 3.2GHz (4 core) 24GB RAM nVidia 1070 | Cheetah 3d 7.x | OS X 10.12.x

Old
  (#14)
Shift Studio (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default values for parameters - 21.02.2012, 19:18

Hi podperson,

I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but what I'd like to see explained in your book (if not in C3D's official documentation) is the range of values that are allowed in each parameter/property, and the expected common values, and what the numbers stand for.

Reason... I often find my self experimenting with values and first I double or halve a value, render ... 'hmmm, what did that do?' ... triple, render, 10x, render, 100x, render and so on ... 'hmmm I wonder how high (low) I could (should) go?' or 'hmmm, that doesn't seem to do anything' and 'hmmm I wonder what do these values represent, what is the unit - percent, decimal fraction, etc.

IF Martin reads this, I'd love to see the range as a tool-tip to been displayed upon hovering over a property input field.

Thanks,
--shift studio.

Old
  (#15)
podperson (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 21.02.2012, 22:34

It's a good suggestion but documenting all that would be a huge job and, as you suggest, much easier for Martin.

There are also a bunch of properties with misleading names, e.g. "specular size"

Learn 3D with Cheetah 3D 6 | Master List of C3D Tutorials | Master List of Scripts (please post omissions to the threads) | Decorated Pig | Blog
MacBook Pro 2.8GHz (4 core) 16GB RAM | Mac Pro 3.2GHz (4 core) 24GB RAM nVidia 1070 | Cheetah 3d 7.x | OS X 10.12.x

Old
  (#16)
DarthSidious05 (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 22.02.2012, 04:05

Quote:
I'd love any suggestions you might have for things to put in the C3D Book I am writing. Basically ideas along the lines of:

a) UI Shortcuts and Things I wish I'd known (classic example: double-clicking primitives to make them into editable meshes)
b) Gotchas (classic example: rendering metal requires HDRI map)
c) Tutorials I would love to have

Either reply to this thread or email me at tonio AT loewald DOT com.

Cheers!

Wow, that's some table of contents! Very cool to hear you're writing a book for Cheetah3D!

Shift Studio, good suggestion about the different values and parameter effects. A lot of it is unexplained in the Help Guide, which is mostly a reference and needs a lot more development for the new tools.

Old
  (#17)
ST64 (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 24.02.2012, 17:43

I am a programmer. I can teach people the commands, and syntax of programming, but that doesn't mean they can create an application. There needs to be more.

That is what I am looking for in a book. You have so much incredible stuff in this book, I doubt you can get this in, but I hope you consider it for your 2nd edition when the 1st edition sells out.

See, I know a lot of the features of C3D, but ask be to build a tree, and I will sit there with my tongue sticking out... duh!

Maybe this is just me though. I don't have the skill most people on this forum have.

Old
  (#18)
podperson (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 24.02.2012, 18:10

Actually ST64 what you say about knowing how commands work and not necessarily being able to program is an excellent analogy to figuring out how to build something in 3d vs. knowing how features work.

I often repeat the observation that I don't know of a single person who learned to program by studying computer science (and all my friends in college were Comp Sci students, many of them Comp Sci majors). I also knew plenty of people who graduated from Comp Sci with honors who could still not write a program.

So I think it's a difficult problem, and I will try to address it but cannot make any promises. There are some things one learns "directly" and there are others one learns by "osmosis" you simply expose a person to a concept that cannot be well expressed usually a concept that underlies a process repeatedly and then something clicks and they grok it.

To give you an idea of how I am trying to tackle this problem, in some cases I will take a small project (e.g. modeling a wineglass) and attack it from different directions and then discuss the pros and cons of the different approaches.

The goal of this book is to teach 3d through Cheetah 3d because, in the end, understanding 3d (modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, rigging, animation, rendering, math, etc.) is the valuable and universal stuff, whereas how to do that stuff using Cheetah 3d is kind of incidental. Cheetah 3d might disappear tomorrow, but the underlying knowledge and skills will be transferrable to any package.

That's a really nice paragraph and I think it will appear in the book

Old
  (#19)
bemdesign (Offline)
Benutzer

Default 24.02.2012, 21:46

Quote:
That's a really nice paragraph and I think it will appear in the book

Very nice and I wholeheartedly agree with your approach!

Old
  (#20)
ST64 (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 25.02.2012, 18:13

I am reading "Polygonal Modeling - Basic and Advanced Techniques", by Mario Russo, from WordWare. It is AMAZING! You might want to look at the book for some ideas.

Now back to work, I want your book!