Bending Flat 2d Art

Bending Flat 2d Art

I have imported a package(box) die outline into Cheetah. It comes in as a spline from Illustrator. What I would like to do is extrude it to the thickness of the paper is will print on then fold the box up.

I cant seem to get it javascript:emoticon(':cry:')?? The folds are at 90 degrees. I would like to see a hard edge but also be able to radius the edge.

Any Ideas -

Thanks
Lee

Hi,
folding a spline will be not very useful. You have to create a flat polygonmesh which has edges where you want to fold it. But you can use the spline as a stencil.
So it is probably better to create the mesh with the create polygon and scalpel tools.
Finally bending the box together is a job for the transform tool. But I currently have a tool in development which will make it much easier to rotate polygons around edges like a hinge. It will probably come with the next update.
Finally to create the rounded edges you have to use the subdivide tool.

By,
Martin

Update to former post!!!

The hinge polygon tool will be in the next update. I'm already done with it.

By,
Martin

Pre-purchase Question

I am very interested in Cheetah 3d. I would like to know if this hinge property has been implemented in your latest version. Will it give the ability to simulate folded paper?

I have a very client specific request that I cannot generate in Adobe After Effects. Cheetah 3d just might do the trick. I'm new to 3d applications and looking for a very simplistic folding paper solution.

If Hinge is implemented, is it documented in a usermanual?

My thanks in advance for your response.

Hi.
I wouldn´t try to make some origami in 3D, but didn´t say it´s impossible. So here is a quick hack in Cheetah3d ( and you will find some limits depending on the speed.)
Don´t know if this is helpful at all.
(BTW. Sorry about the video; YouTube stinks. I don´t know why they spoil the quality of a fine h264 videocodec to blurry muddy flash´n grrr)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT9j6iZBwBY

With kindest regards
Frank

Much thanks! This is a great approach.

Thank you for posting this, gives me a good idea of what to do. Is the HINGE feature just not implemented? Is this why you took this approach?

If you happen to have that .h264 quicktime in better resolution, is there an FTP location I could grab it from? I could even provide one in a private message.

My thanks again.

Thank you for posting this, gives me a good idea of what to do. Is the HINGE feature just not implemented? Is this why you took this approach?

Honestly I have no idea about a "hinge" feature, my guess is it´s the "edge rotate function".

If you happen to have that .h264 quicktime in better resolution, is there an FTP location I could grab it from? I could even provide one in a private message.

It´s 800x758px h264 Quicktime.mov at 5,7MB. I can send it if you like.

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks much again

Yeah, the "hinge" thread above seems to have died so I assume it was never implemented. If you have the time, please send the QT to:

daveyj(at)squeezle.com

My sincere thanks for your responses.

dj

Back