Suggestions for C3D Book

How do we update from the first to second edition through Lulu.com? Or would one have to buy the book again to the get the update?

Thanks,

Simon

Simon, In your Lulu prefs page go to Orders and from that page there's a "downloads" button. Click on that and you should be able to download the new version -- as soon as Lulu updates it. As of this AM (pacific time, US) it hasn't been updated. Hopefully soon. HTH.

Simon, In your Lulu prefs page go to Orders and from that page there's a "downloads" button. Click on that and you should be able to download the new version -- as soon as Lulu updates it. As of this AM (pacific time, US) it hasn't been updated. Hopefully soon. HTH.

Ok thanks! Wasn't sure how the updates worked. I did download it again from my account, but it's the version I already have. Doing a search on Lulu shows that the 2nd edition is already posted up for sale though. I'll check back to see when it might be ready for people that already bought it then.

Apparently, according to one of my readers (thank you Mike!), Lulu's policy is that if you want the new edition, pay another $20.

This is plainly ridiculous, not what I wanted, and not what I advertised. I'll figure out a way of providing free updates and make them available ASAP.

I apologise for the inconvenience.

Apparently, according to one of my readers (thank you Mike!), Lulu's policy is that if you want the new edition, pay another $20.

This is plainly ridiculous, not what I wanted, and not what I advertised. I'll figure out a way of providing free updates and make them available ASAP.

I apologise for the inconvenience.

Thanks pod! Whenever you get it sorted, I'm happy. Glad you confirmed the situation.

Help with ordering your book

Hi Tonio
I’ve ben wanting to purchase your book for several months now but something has always prevented me from doing so. I thought I’ve overcome all obstacles now...However I’ve just read all the postings of this thread and because I confuse somewhat easily I’m not sure who to order from. I do have to conserve money so I’m thinking order from Lulu.

I noticed the Publish date is October 8 2012 so I deduct that this is the latest updated issue and I won’t have to worry about any recent updates. Is that correct? (deductions or assumptions are not always correct)

I also understand that you have generously offered to send a URL for the PDF if I email a copy of my receipt to you.

I’ve observed many of your postings in this forum and appreciate your many helpful suggestions and instructions.

You have kindly helped me several times. I am slow to learn and you have patiently helped me. I am very grateful for your help.

Last night I downloaded the “Adobe Digital Editions” so I can read your book when I get it. One thing at a time. I become overwhelmed easily. (Just my mental makeup)

I was thinking of ordering your book today. Should I go for it? or wait a little longer till any glitches are amended.

If I go for it do I click on the “Buy in this Format” button at the bottom left side of the Lulu page or the “Add to Cart” button at the upper right side of the Lulu page that advertises your book.

I have no experience in ordering on line and a pocketbook that can’t spare mistakes.

Thank you so much
Jeanny

Lulu is the best option in my opinion. Just email me the receipt and I'll send you the PDF link. adobe editions is pretty horrible, so I recommend the PDF for desktop reading.

For what it's worth, I've updated the versions of the book in my dropbox (so if I've emailed you a link, then there's a new version at the other end). Both the PDF and epub are updated.

Be careful to keep a copy of the old epub in case the new one has bugs (it's straight out of Voodoopad — and last I checked voodoopad could create errors in epubs, and I haven't rebuilt the java toolchain that I need to verify epubs at my end).

The biggest change in this edition ("version 2.1") is massively improved table of contents. One of the big gripes reviewers have had is with the organization of the book, and this is very legitimate — first edition lost part of its TOC thanks to bugs in Pages, and second edition's TOC suffered because I hastily converted all the text over to Voodoopad. This edition I have painfully broken into small chapters, manually numbered, and so forth. The downside is that some internal links will be broken (the upside is that all the bogus links should be gone).

I've documented ABF and made some content tweaks and error fixes along the way, but pretty minor stuff.

If serious errors in either version are reported I will roll back to the previous versions until I can fix them.

aviation terms

Hi Tonio

I'm already working my way through the pdf that you linked me to. Thanks heaps. I want to bring an error in terminology to your attention. It is on p.25 where you relate the XYZ axes to the three inclinations of airplanes. You got the terms right on p.24, but on p.25 you mix 'yaw' and 'roll' together. I used to be a pilot, so these terms are etched into my brain even though I haven't piloted for near 30 years.

Yaw is the wrong term where you have used it. Roll, which you have in brackets, is the correct term. Yawing is done with the rudder and its what makes the tail wag and in your model in the book it is related to heading.

Nonetheless, I like your use of the aeroplane to describe 3D orientation. XYZ has always done my head in, but heading, pitch, and bank makes it very easy for me to visualise the axes respectively.

Cheers
David

Thanks — that's clearly a straight out mistake which I'll fix in the next edition. Btw it's not me, cheetah 3d used hpb for rotation (it's migrating to xyz to avoid confusion).

Edit: I checked my work in progress on third edition, and it looks like that section has been gutted :)

Last edited:
Great job on writing such an extensive volume on Cheetah3d. It's very well done and I'm enjoying it.

Coming from Lightwave, HPB works for me. Although it seems that Modo has dropped HPB in favor of XYZ (same original developers of Lightwave).

I noticed the keyboard shortcuts you mentioned for such things as panning (Ctrl + option) work well, but it may be worthy to mention the alternatives for those who have a 3-button mouse:

Option + Middle Mouse button: panning
Option + Right Mouse button: zooming

Also you mention concerning the editing of the spline: "each control point acts like a 3D point and needs to clicked once to select it and then moved using the transform tool — you can’t just click and drag as in dedicated 2D drawing programs."

I was able to use tweak mode "Option + shift" to drag the points around interactively.

Last edited:
Great job on writing such an extensive volume on Cheetah3d. It's very well done and I'm enjoying it.
Also you mention concerning the editing of the spline: "each control point acts like a 3D point and needs to clicked once to select it and then moved using the transform tool — you can’t just click and drag as in dedicated 2D drawing programs."

I was able to use tweak mode "Option + shift" to drag the points around interactively.

C3D v6.2.1 - more on splines:
For those used to editing vectors, splines, bezier points in other programs, the TWEAK mode works for adjusting 'handles' independently by using three keys "Shift-opt-cmd".

The sequence is to
(1)select.editable.spline.object (2)chose.Transform.or.Move.tool
(3)press.the.three.keys (4)click-drag.a.point.or.a.handle
The exception is the case of the user wanting to keep the two handles locked at the same angle. This case means lifting the 'cmd' key, holding only the 'Shift-opt' keys to adjust them.

Note that the right-click menu does not function with the "Opt" key pressed.

If you are already have a point or handle selected and see the widget, then click in an open area or Select None using cmd-D. Now use "Shift-opt" or "Shift-opt-cmd" to move points/handles.

Extra tips: Scale and Rotate (single spline points) and (groups of spline points) to make smooth shape adjustments.

Single points: the handle configuration is adjusted by Scale & Rotate
Groups of points: the points configuration is adjusted by Scale & Rotate

Scale and Rotate only make sense when points are selected, since they don't work well or intuitively in Tweak mode.

And don't forget the trick of using Tools:Set Value for the selected points in a spline for re-alignment or repositioning. Using Set Value for handles does not work.

update to version 7?

Hi Antonio,

will there be a free update to the book to reflect the changes in version 7 if I buy it now?

Anthony

will there be a free update to the book to reflect the changes in version 7 if I buy it now?

That's a damn fine question.

I'll send the new edition as a PDF or ePub to anyone with proof of purchase in 2015 or later. Lulu is horrible with respect to upgrading so I'm already handling "free updates" to the current edition.

Lulu is horrible with respect to upgrading so I'm already handling "free updates" to the current edition.

I am not sure if this is helpful, perhaps you have explored this option, but have you tried leanpub??

Its kinda agile publishing; Gojko Adzic used it when publishing one of his books, those that signed up as interested got regular updates to the book and were i think able to offer feedback. also he has been able to supply additional material.
For his books, he published as pdf, mobi and epub; which was useful as i could have a native edition for my kindle, and use the PDF on my mac and iThings.

Anyway just a thought

Last edited:
Back