My First Car

My cheat because of the texture to be honest :redface:
your are very realistic in my opinion
it would be nice to know the method that you used ..
continue the great work :icon_thumbup:
and have fun :cool:

My cheat because of the texture to be honest :redface:
your are very realistic in my opinion
it would be nice to know the method that you used ..
continue the great work :icon_thumbup:
and have fun :cool:

Whatever makes yours look so good is OK in my opinion. :icon_thumbup::icon_thumbup:

I tried a few different ways to make a circle with a
grid structure first, then I used two bend modifiers.

Incorporated the Bend Modifiers, then Shelled.

Here's the trick: Select all the edges on the inside surface and the edges of the edge :confused: then Crease.
Then add a subdivision Modifier, which will smooth the outside but not the inside, which stays faceted.

In one instance I had to fine tune with the objects Smooth Angle setting.

Attachments

• Lens try.jas.zip
    38.8 KB · Views: 429
what have I done?

Hey Zoohead (or anyone else who can tell me what I have done wrong!). I have been following your two video tutorials to build a car and they have been very helpful... but I seem to have hit a snag and I cannot figure out what I have done wrong. I am at the part where I add subdivision for the first time, but there seems to be something weird happening down the centre of the car. Please see the screen shots. I have optimized, and I don't see anything out of place... but for the life of me cannot see why this is happening...

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 11.49.59 PM copy.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 11.50.20 PM copy.png

OK, so I found a mesh (a messy one) that was down the centre of the car. I had to view the wire frame to see it, but removed the suspicious points and create some new polygons.... so I managed to fix it... still have no idea what caused it...

Hi jpdarr, it's possible you used Extrude in symmetry, try Cover and Normal Move. Or make the symmetry editable.

You can also use the Transform Tool with cover, instead of Normal Move.

Attachments

• Cover-vs-Extrude.gif
    Cover-vs-Extrude.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 525

Hi jpdarr, it's possible you used Extrude in symmetry, try Cover and Normal Move. Or make the symmetry editable.

Thank you. That's a great example showing the differences. Is there a 3rd video coming on this tutorial? haha. The door edges are ridiculous!
Also, I downloaded your truck jas file and was using your camera settings and material settings to render my car but it looks quite different. Is there something that may not have been included in the upload? (it looks like a material on your camera background is missing). Your renders look incredible and I am trying to figure this out as well!

Thanks again. Awesome stuff

Last edited:
it looks like a material on your camera background is missing.

Thanks again. Awesome stuff

Thanks jpdarr, the background images don't copy with the file.
It's probably the White Spot.jpg.

Attachments

• White Spot.jpg
    White Spot.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 504

I wish I saw this animation years ago. It's a great way of showing the difference between "extrude" and "cover". This difference is something that has baffled me for years.

Back