kill switch for animation

kill switch for animation

My wish is for a way to instantly kill an animation or physics calculation when it bogs down memory.

I am constantly having this issue where pressing the play button after starting an animation in the timeline fails to stop that animation. I often have to force quit Cheetah.

Would be nice to have a more responsive stop button that instantly frees memory, or does whatever it must to quickly kill the necessary processes to stop an animation from endlessly lopping.

My wish is for a way to instantly kill an animation or physics calculation when it bogs down memory.

I am constantly having this issue where pressing the play button after starting an animation in the timeline fails to stop that animation. I often have to force quit Cheetah.

Would be nice to have a more responsive stop button that instantly frees memory, or does whatever it must to quickly kill the necessary processes to stop an animation from endlessly lopping.

I'm with you on this one. I use the Space Bar to start/stop animation, but have to make sure I press the Space bar for about a second held, then wait up to a minute hoping that I didn't double tap the bar and restart the animation after my scene is overloaded with animation frames or objects.

A switch like this would have to work separately from Cheetah, as everything in Cheetah during this time is locked up until the animation stops.

+1 on this request. It can be pretty frustrating not being able to stop the animation.

Would also like to be able to stop a 'Bake simulation' of Dynamics.
I realise you are supposed to be able to just hit cancel, but when there is some heavy-duty processing going on - lots of particles dropping for instance, it just won't work.

Thanks, Shift Studio.

Hi,
the stop animation button should work reliable. Just make sure that you only click once on it. If you click twice on it the animation gets started immediately after it stopped, which gives you the impression that the animation never stopped. The same happens if you click 4, 6 or another even number of times on it.

Especially if many on-the-fly effects are calculated like modifiers or physics it can take a few frames until the animation actually stopes.

Bye
Martin

Hi,
the stop animation button should work reliable. Just make sure that you only click once on it. If you click twice on it the animation gets started immediately after it stopped, which gives you the impression that the animation never stopped. The same happens if you click 4, 6 or another even number of times on it.

Especially if many on-the-fly effects are calculated like modifiers or physics it can take a few frames until the animation actually stopes.

Bye
Martin

Thanks for the answer Martin. I understand perfectly what you're saying, but its true whats been said above, sometimes you really can't get it stop - well, maybe if you are willing to wait an hour. If you'd like I could package up an example and send it to you when I've got some free time.

Thanks for the great product - your work is appreciated :)
--Shift Studio.

Interestingly, classic Mac OS had a specific command for clearing the event queue when handling things like cancel buttons (to prevent multiple clicks from refiring a cancel button, etc.) but cocoa appears not to. The obvious solution would be to make play and stop different (non-overlapping) buttons. Another option would be to figure out how to handle the event more quickly and provide feedback, even if the render continues for a while.

I think I might have found a workaround for this. When the timeline fails to stop playing your animation, try hitting the render button. It has worked for me on one or two occasions.

^^ bump 2018 ^^ :)

I have some super complex dynamics baking going on - if I need to cancel, I need to wait for the spinning beachball cursor to go away - that sometimes doesn't happen at all.
If it does, I press 'Cancel' on the Baking Dynamics progress bar sheet (once only). After that it will cancel, but it can take an hour or more.

It would be appreciated Cheetah would just stop the baking immediately.
Also, it would be nice if Cheetah would somehow give you the ability to press the cancel button without waiting forever in complex dynamics baking.

--possible?

Thanks!
--shift studio.

Last edited:
Back