Cheetah3D 7.2 Beta 2

Are Mesh lights still something you plan and adding?

Mesh lights will definitely come in a v7.x update. They are already in the works.

Also can you tell us what the state of adding fog background to Falcon is?

My priority list for Falcon is

-finish light sources (mesh light)
-finish geometry types (hair, displacement mapping)
-add advanced shading (volumentrics, SSS)

So fog=volumentrics will come after mesh lights.

Bye
Martin

Yes, I noticed the blurring, but with soft shadow values from 0,01 to 0,1 it's quite ok. There is also a darkening effect coming with the blur.
Great you could correct that!

What a nice Cornell-Box. I especially like the wall texture. :icon_thumbup:

Please re-render your box with the upcoming Beta 3. It should fix the IES related problems.

(And once volumetric scattering comes, those IES lights will get even more awesome!)

IES lights are used mostly for architectural renderings. It's sort of rare that architecture is rendered in the fog. Especially indoors.:wink:

Bye
Martin

* Indoor fog is great. Especially when I return from visitations to my regular wine bar. Not to mention the undulating crumple modifier which allows unbalanced surfing on the herringbone parquetry :redface: :tongue: :frown:

IES lights are used mostly for architectural renderings. It's sort of rare that architecture is rendered in the fog. Especially indoors.

Just think of a rock concert or a casting show, they're all about spotlights and artificial fog effects.

Every room where people smoke will show light cones of the lamps.
I think on this forum someone asked once how to do the light cones of lamps over a pool billiard table.

And for outdoors, just think of a car's headlights at night.

So you see, there are many possibilities for volumetric IES lights to render :wink:

Thanks for the upcoming improvement with beta3 and also for the tip concerning gamma correction, the bunker scene indeed turned out better at 2.2.

Bye
Martin

Oh - That will be especially wonderful !
Excitedly and patiently anticipating that.

Thanks so much for all you have already given us Martin!

My Best
Jeanny

Just think of a rock concert or a casting show, they're all about spotlights and artificial fog effects.

I think on this forum someone asked once how to do the light cones of lamps over a pool billiard table.

Also thinking about a dusty warehouse... or old barn... or even those shots of a room with the sun shining in a window and that bit of "rays" catching dust.

In the past I have also used (in other 3D apps) fog, volumetric lighting and particles to simulate "under water" like a submarine light source through seawater... etc.

So you see, there are many possibilities for volumetric IES lights to render :wink:

I'm aware of all these cases of course. But they are really more of the edge cases. Just make a google image search for "archviz" and you will be surprised how many foggy rooms get rendered. So these cases won't change my priority list. First the fundamentals then the decorations. :wink:

Bye
Martin

Mesh lights will definitely come in a v7.x update. They are already in the works.

Bye
Martin

So mesh lights in the 1st week of February, geometry types in the 2nd week, advanced shading in the 3rd week.

I can live with that.

I'm aware of all these cases of course. But they are really more of the edge cases. ... these cases won't change my priority list. First the fundamentals then the decorations. :wink:

Hopefully my additional examples of potential uses didn't get misinterpreted as a request for you to re-prioritize anything. This is *YOUR* software and I trust your prioritization of time-spent in development. I am constantly amazed at how much I keep coming BACK to *THIS* software to bang-out things I need even though I have the latest LightWave installed on my Mac as well. This has an amazing amount of features balanced with a VERY approachable UI to just get things done quickly.

You do what you gotta do. Sure, take requests into consideration, but this is YOUR baby and I like where it is and where it's heading.

:)

Do soft shadows work for point lights in Cheetah Renderer? I change the numbers but see no change in the softness of the shadow, I don't remember if Martin added soft shadows to the Cheetah Renderer?
Did a search in google but only could confirm they are available in Falcon.

For Cheetah Renderer you need area lights (Disc,Rect, or Sphere) and the amount of softness depends on the size of the light source.
CheetahRenderAreaLightSource.jpg

Cheers
Frank

Back