Christmas Video for Client

Christmas Video for Client

Here is a video I was part of where the objects and scenery were built in C3D. The sky was built in photoshop. The effects and music and timing were built in After Effects (not by me).

Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQsHmmzw_I8

--shift studio.
p.s. I'm a subcontractor on this, so please, no comments directed at me on YouTube please.

Last edited:
Cute. Was it actually built out of C3D renders?

I provided my client with a multi-layer Photoshop file - 1 layer with lights off, and 5 with lights on. The 'lights on' layers had their blending mode set to 'lighten'.

I pushed the C3D renders hard in Photoshop to achieve what I couldn't in C3D. There is an unprocessed render attached (colours compressed due to gif animation).

I was able to get the lights bright in C3D, but there were some problems that were easier to fix in PS and I knew I'd be going there anyways. So thats why I did it that way.

In After Effects they added animation, snow, a shooting star and an extra glow - thats not quite right imo.

so, not pure C3D, but definitely it was the foundation.

--shift studio.

Attachments

• lightsOff-On2.gif
    lightsOff-On2.gif
    468.9 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Cool - there went the bazillion of lights you requested earlier I guess. :p
Wonder if particle spline with emissive objects would have been easier to maintain:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• 10kemissiveObjects.png
    10kemissiveObjects.png
    361.5 KB · Views: 488
Cool - there went the bazillion of lights you requested earlier I guess. :p
Wonder if particle spline with emissive objects would have been easier to maintain:

Cheers
Frank

You're right that was for the same project. ;)

I ended up using a particle mesh - no spiral was really needed anyways. The particle mesh allowed me add a controlled randomness to orientation and positioning of the bulbs.
Turns out we never ended up getting close in enough to see the bulbs very well though.

I did end up using emissive objects for the light too. That was a better option once I got it under control and set the renderer property 'Clamp sample' back up from one to ten (or maybe it was 20?).

Anyway thanks for your initial help.
--shift studio.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
I should be clear that the concept wasn't mine - I only created still images and I was directed by an Art Director at an ad agency.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!
--shift studio.

Back