Magnifying Glass Challenge

I may yet record this one as a tutorial as I think it involves a bit of everything which is good for a beginner.

A nit: the problem with the design is that real magnifying glasses of this type almost always comprise a thin band with a break through the screw (you fit the band around the lens, close it, and then screw on the handle to hold the lens in place). I am familiar with the design as only a kid who owned one and assembled and disassembled it thousands of times can be. :smile:

It would be possible to make a magnifying glass like this, but very difficult and probably expensive — I've certainly never seen anything like this.

It would be possible to make a magnifying glass like this, but very difficult and probably expensive — I've certainly never seen anything like this.
Not of it´s something like this one I own since my childhood. It´s most likely a "cheap" one.

Attachments

• VergröGlas.jpeg
    VergröGlas.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 588
Now that I've googled it more extensively, there are magnifying glasses around (even very expensively made ones) with a thick ring, but they're not going to have the sort of handle shown (which I associate with designs where the handle needs to scew down hard on the lens mounting).

It's just a nit!

Sounds like you've done more research than I did! I just went with what I had in my head

I think it's interesting when I model something from memory and then run into some aspect of the model I can't figure out that it helps to understand the how and why of the object. E.g. If you understand how something as simple as a sword is actually constructed it makes modeling swords well much easier.

Yore probably right Tonio, if I'm honest I would still consider myself to be very weak at modeling and these are all tips that I need to learn. At the moment I just don't think the way a 3D designer does. Hopefully it will come with time.

Back