Objects won't stay put?

Objects won't stay put?

HI, I'm trying to rescale part of my model which I can do without too much effort:icon_thumbup: However, when I save the file then reopen it, The parts I did not scale decided to move and scale themselves automatically :confused: does any one know how I can stop this from happening please

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-26 at 17.27.00.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-26 at 17.27.00.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 498
My guess is you have a folder with transformations inside folders with transformations and /or objects that don´t stay 1:1:1 at all.

Cheers
Frank

My guess is you have a folder with transformations inside folders with transformations and /or objects that don´t stay 1:1:1 at all.

Cheers
Frank
Thanks Frank, I appreciate your reply but I haven't the slightest Idea of what you are telling me is wrong?

Is there something I am doing wrong and if so what should I do to correct this problem. I do have folders within the model to group areas together, but why do objects after saving revert back to other positions or move and re scale when re-opening? is there something in the settings I have not done?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul.
I´m not able recreate this behavior from scratch - if possible I´d like to have look into your file.
BTW - an easy way to modify objects accidentally (this is a feature when used intentionally!) is to drag them with shift-key down into a folder that carries transformations.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Paul.
What I read between the lines is that the file or parts of non Cheetah3d´s origins. So then it could be anything. Symmetrical objects in 3dsMax for instance.
To proof the "folder effect": Put a folder into the browser and edit any of its parameter at position, rotation and scale. Now generate a standard box. Hold shift key down while dragging it onto the folder inside the browser - and Bingo! "folder-transformed-box".

Cheers
Frank

Hi Paul.
What I read between the lines is that the file or parts of non Cheetah3d´s origins. So then it could be anything. Symmetrical objects in 3dsMax for instance.
To proof the "folder effect": Put a folder into the browser and edit any of its parameter at position, rotation and scale. Now generate a standard box. Hold shift key down while dragging it onto the folder inside the browser - and Bingo! "folder-transformed-box".

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank, everything within the file was created within cheetah 3D :frown: as for putting a folder into the browser etc, I'm a little confused as I am not converse with the terminology:confused: but that's my failing due to never reading anything before I start:rolleyes: I will look into this option and see if I can execute what it is you are instructing me to do

Cheers

Paul

Still no luck with this problem

Hi, I was wondering if this is a bug with cheetah? I have tried to place the objects into folders after rescaling them but once saved, I reopen the file and the objects have moved! Even if I save it under a different name the objects just wont stay put. Could I ask someone to try with one of their older files to see if they get the same issue as my Please?? I need to have this problem resolved because I can no longer make any alterations to my project and successfully save it.

Any help out there??? Please???:frown: :confused:

Too many variables. I still can´t reproduce this behavior.
Did the move take place in the properties of the folder or is it just a change from perspective to camera view - because Cheetah3d starts always with the camera view?

Hi Frank, I'm not sure what you mean by the properties of the folder all I can say is, I am at this stage: - I position an object, I have imported from my files, drawn by cheetah, to place within the vehicle I am building, I then save the file and close it. When I reopen the file, the object or parts of the object within the file have moved :confused: if I delete the objects, then save the file and close. I reopen the file The origional object the vehicle) has changed position.:frown: I move the camera around to a new position, and save the file but when reopened, the vehicle has moved back to the old position? It is as if the file is not saving my changes.:confused:

I do not know if the problem lies with importing files (drawn in cheetah)to other cheetah files and modifying them, creating a conflict with the original file that was imported? I do know this issue never happend until I upgraded to v5:(

when I upgraded to te latest version, should I have removed the old versions from my Mac or left them where they where?

Thanks

Hi Frank, I'm not sure what you mean by the properties of the folder ...
Did the numerically entries change or is it just the viewing angle?
You´re saying the imported objects are moving when the saved file gets reopened. Have you noticed any changes in the properties of these parts at its "position" entries before and after saving?
I do know this issue never happend until I upgraded to v5:(
I´m pretty sure the upgrade has nothing to do with it.
when I upgraded to te latest version, should I have removed the old versions from my Mac or left them where they where?
No - you can have different versions alive. ;)

It seems we´re not getting any closer to your problem - as I still can´t reproduce it. Maybe you have recorded an animation keyframe accidentally - has your vehicle symmetry modifier/creator on - or ...

Can you make a short video capture on this? Otherwise I have no clue what happened on your side - I guess we should have it here in the forum in the meantime.

free Screencast app

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank, thanks for your patience, I appreciate your help with my problem.

In the past I would draw a component, copy it and paste it into the project file. I would then adjust that component to position and scale it, I would save the file and start on a new component etc. etc.

I solved the problem with the wheels changing position by re building them in another file in the exact position and scale I needed them to be, then copied and pasted them into the project. The problem I have now is that some internal parts are moving back to previously saved positions :rolleyes: I will try to re draw them as I did with the wheels :frown: and see if that changes things.

I was wondering if the previous saved files of the individual components are conflicting with files that have been adjusted within the project causing them to revert back to where they were when I copied and pasted them into the project :confused: Could this be happening?

Thanks again :icon_thumbup:

I was wondering if the previous saved files of the individual components are conflicting with files that have been adjusted within the project causing them to revert back to where they were when I copied and pasted them into the project :confused: Could this be happening?
No, no and no. ;)
Your workflow is more than common. I do it all the time; make a new asset and copy and paste it into an existing scene. When the new part shows up at a different place as you were generating it - it most likely got pasted into some hierarchy. It wears then some transformations from grouped folder or alike. So make sure what´s selected when pasting a new part into an existing scene. But this won´t explain why there are any changes during saving and reopen this file.
Again I highly resommend making a screen-recording of this
If you don´t wanna post a link here you can send it over (when it´s smaller than 30MB).
Otherwise I´m in doubt we´re getting any closer to your issue.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank, Thanks for taking a look at my file, your suggestion has worked and everything is staying put now :smile:

For anyone else who may experience this problem in the future, it was caused by keyframe and hierarchy being turned on.
Frank sent me a picture to explain it for me so I have added it to this post for others to use if needed

Thanks again

Paul

Attachments

• Keyframes.jpg
    Keyframes.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 320
objects reverting, not saving properly

I am also having problems with some objects not saving and staying put. The first several times this happened, I thought it was just that i had forgotten to save. But i've been very careful to pay attention now, and it seems I have a "haunted" pen cap that will revert to a state that is all wrong when I save the file. In my case, it can't be an animation issue, because i haven't animated it. And I've only experienced it with this particular piece.

I am also having problems with some objects not saving and staying put. The first several times this happened, I thought it was just that i had forgotten to save. But i've been very careful to pay attention now, and it seems I have a "haunted" pen cap that will revert to a state that is all wrong when I save the file. In my case, it can't be an animation issue, because i haven't animated it. And I've only experienced it with this particular piece.

Hi @callmejb, I was going to be smart and say it's an animation issue until I read the last paret of your post :redface: I had to go through my file and find the pieces which would not stay where I'd saved them and I notice that the time line had set even though I had not started any animation either? The only thing I could put that down to was, that I inadvertently copied and pasted some parts from a previous file which I had animated. It may be worth while to confirm that the key and hierarchy symbols are un-checked also.

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Hi Frank, Thanks for taking a look at my file, your suggestion has worked and everything is staying put now :smile:

For anyone else who may experience this problem in the future, it was caused by keyframe and hierarchy being turned on.
Frank sent me a picture to explain it for me so I have added it to this post for others to use if needed

Thanks again

Paul

This thread just saved me from going nuts, I had inadvertently hit a short cut key and set a keyframe. No matter what changes I made to my model and saved it would jump back to the old unchanged version time after time. Reason F$%#ing Keyframe set accidentally by me. Did a google search Cheetah etc... found the answer wheew... Thanks guys.

* Unless you use the hotkey for recording all parameters frequently I suggest deleting the entry from the preferences.
* My motoric memory is a bit fuzzy and I certainly don't consciously remember the different combinations of keys for 30-odd various actions. It happens automatic and without thinking.
* In this specific case, a single "typo" suffices to wipe a lengthy session of fine-tuning and tricky detailing.

* Unless you use the hotkey for recording all parameters frequently I suggest deleting the entry from the preferences.
* My motoric memory is a bit fuzzy and I certainly don't consciously remember the different combinations of keys for 30-odd various actions. It happens automatic and without thinking.
* In this specific case, a single "typo" suffices to wipe a lengthy session of fine-tuning and tricky detailing.

Yes this was done immediately !
In this specific case, a single "typo" suffices to wipe a lengthy session of fine-tuning and tricky detailing
Found out the hard way.

Back