IES Lights

IES Lights

I would like to see this implemented as well. I work for a Lighting Manufacturer with IES files for all our fixtures. This would let me achieve light output to match the specs for our fixtures in application shots.

I know this old, but I think IES or a similar function to do rough calculations of interior lighting studies would be a real benefit, as more and more clients seem to want this function or question answered in how an interior will look given a set of alternative lighting options. At the moment this seems seems limited to windows only programs.

The only other software which seems to provide a partial solution is Maxwell (boooooh...hissss)

It's not a top priority on my list, the materials editor is, but I for one wouls love it if it was considered sometime in the future even as an optional paid for plugin !?

Regards

Luke

This came up even before there was a wishlist!
http://www.cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1130

I agree IES lights would be nice (maybe not top priority) but I wonder how much use they would be for lighting simulation? There are so many variables in play (like radiosity settings, materials, gamma etc) that have a huge impact on the appearance of a scene, it's hard to know whether accurately calibrated lights would guarantee a 'realistic' result.

It is also true that it would be nice to see a mac lighting application, but to be fully competitive, it should be able to produce lux maps, uniformity values, colour rendition info etc, since these are often required as part of a lighting study. Maybe this would be a lot to ask of a C3D plugin?

Last edited:
Luke, Check out Kerkythea which also supports ies lights (and OS X). Vectorworks also supports this, but rendertimes in Vectorworks are quite slow.

Regards,

Peter

Dear Peter

I did tried Kerkythea, well I use the term loosely, I couldn't get it to work, see the download comments for the osx version. It looked the sort of thing I'm after...but being totally into C3D, I was hoping for something similar, as the quality of C3D is pretty much equal to Kerkythea.

And vectorworks I have no experience in as all my modeling work is in Sketchup and or Cheetah ( and I don't really want make my life more complicated at the moment.

Regards

Luke

If podperson is right ( which he normally is) then we can have a bit fun using alpha patterns of the light shape by making a box housing a light point source and then using a render tag to make the box invisible in primary rays.

Maybe for a split thread this !?

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• ies.jpg
    ies.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,399
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,429
  • wire.jpg
    wire.jpg