3D orbit of a 3D model...

Well that´s becoming kind of frustrating. I think the customer´s demands are virtually impossible and at least I don´t think that Cheetah3d is the way to go when you invest in 3d-scanner software though.
One last thing come to my mind is the GLC-Player which aims for displaying lots of different 3d file types and runs on Mac+Windows - maybe test this out before proceeding here.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• GLCPlayerScreen.jpg
    GLCPlayerScreen.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
no, not the DavidLaserScan... I do not think this is right for me...

I am thinking of buying the http://www.nextengine.com/

There are other scanner that sit on top of a SLR camera which takes the image and scans at the same time.... very exciting...

Destiny

Yes, it's frustrating ...
It seems to me that you are trying to answer a customer need without fully understanding what's required to achieve it. Fine. No problem and if we can help, we will. But you need to answer all the questions we are asking. Otherwise you might be soon on your own.
Frank's solution ( using the .dae format ) is likely the best providing your "cloud point / Polygons" file out of the scanner is not "giant".
You should also check Meshlab which is also a PC and Mac app.

Sorry, I do not know what cloud point is... I will have read that one.. I do not know how many poligons the scanning makes.. I normally just take VR Moves and Photos.. I am not a 3D modelling guru... I have just been given an opportunity to branch out since the company likes my VR Movies... So they have asked me to see if I can do as they need... Now I have to rely on experts.. to answer questions I do not necessarily know what I am asking.. Its just a matter of reading and leaning from those in the KNOW..

I am just a primary teaching trying very hard to get out of teaching to do things on my own for my little girls future... Teaching is not a good job...

My web site is only just beginning to be made...
http://www.destinyvirtualtours.com/DPS/index.html

Am I on my own NOW... :frown: But if you do not want to answer, then thats ok...

Destiny

Yes, it's frustrating ...
It seems to me that you are trying to answer a customer need without fully understanding what's required to achieve it. Fine. No problem and if we can help, we will. But you need to answer all the questions we are asking. Otherwise you might be soon on your own.
Frank's solution ( using the .dae format ) is likely the best providing your "cloud point / Polygons" file out of the scanner is not "giant".
You should also check Meshlab which is also a PC and Mac app.

Teaching is not a good job...

may I ask where are you from, Destiny?

P.S.: writing from my brand new PC, first time I use a new toy that looks and feels ugly than the old one (my 3y old MBP)... don't say it, I *have* to (if only I could use all those cores with Cheetah...!)

Hi.. Queensland Australia...Destiny is an Aussie girl....:p

may I ask where are you from, Destiny?

P.S.: writing from my brand new PC, first time I use a new toy that looks and feels ugly than the old one (my 3y old MBP)... don't say it, I *have* to (if only I could use all those cores with Cheetah...!)

Yes Frank.. I have just come home from school so now I can investigate the GLC-Player... All new things for me something get very confusing... So I might ask a stupid question....

Destiny

Then that is not made for you. :redface:

Have you tried the GLC-Player I mentioned? Could be a good solution.

Cheers
Frank

Hi... That GLC player is 42meg so not sure about that.. most people will not want to download that size player.. unless I am downloading more than that... like software etc... Its downloading now...

I also downloaded the Strata Live 3D CX 2 software last night... It works on Java but oh man, its expensive and the viewing window is not that big.... and it will not import a obj file...

When I got my 3.1 3D Studio Max Teacher Licence I also downloaded the 3D Cult plugin.. that was a wonderful thing.. worked just like Mr Piggy... but not sure if that would work on a Mac.. I do not thinks so since the payer looks like it just Windows...

One would have thought in this 3D world that a simple thing like a cross-platform player would be available very easily... This is the only thing left stopping me from taking on the 3D contract... Nothing easy!...

I really appreciate all you help you guys have given... and your patience.. :redface:

Destiny..

Yes you are probably right :tongue:

Actually that glc player is quite exciting... I created their demo robot and its just amazing.. but still with the Mac dae format... so not sure if it will export to windows or it needs to be on windows to export for windows... This payer is ambiguous, its actually software, I think, but very exciting .... I will play with it for a while tonight.. see how I go...

Question on Cheetah.. can it import a mtl file...???? I know it can export, I can see that...

Destiny

Well - if a 42MB player is an issue, wait till you have to process your first NextEngine 3d scan. :mrgreen:
Good luck.

Regards
Frank

I've come to this thread late and probably misread but the collada platform isn't OS specific. I use C3D to make dae file with I take into and Windows based games engine.

oh... but I have tried to open it on Windows 7 and xp and sent it to others to see but it either shows code or will not open at all..... You might have a program that accommodates this but I am guessing most will not.... In Windows 7 it asked which program to open in.. I am guessing you must have a program that relates to this.... what do you suggest I try??

I do not think Cheetah can import a mtl file.. I am looking through the help now.... I can see the xport the dae file but I cannot view it on a trial.. real bummer... I want to see if I can use it in glc_player.. but with that I cannot find out how to play the demo model in Windows.. The demo only has the dae file.. so Not really sure...

I finally managed to download the new Cheetah version.. For the money its a very good software app.. I love the interface and icons... The many features are only fond in high end software apps.. I have played with most of them but I am no expert for sure.. I get to do this since most of the software I can get academic versions.. Like Maya 2011 and Mudbox.for free.. Some program apps are great but other are not..

Modo, great but expensive...
Silo, OK but limited....
Hexagon, not very powerful but very good tools and cheap..
Maya, very hard to use but outstanding software...
Mudbox.. ya.. still out on that one
ZBrush.. Obsoletely fantastic!! ***** stars...
Rhino, great but no good for softform modelling...
3D Max, like Maya, hard to use... not sure what new version is like....
AutoCAD... Love V14 but 2011 is very different.. again no good for softform.
Cheetah.. Very good value and nice tools... and particle.. oh wow.. must try that out...

With me I am not an expert in anything with this software, but I am getting good with ZBrush.. since I teach art as well as multimedia.. I really only need elements of software.. like Cheetah with the option to export a dae file.. Thats worth $100 to me just for that..

My brain is frying... too much information to get through... I never thought that having a need to rotate a 3D model would require so much stress.. no wonder no one else is willing to do this contract.. I really hope I can work it all out in time..

Destiny..

I've come to this thread late and probably misread but the collada platform isn't OS specific. I use C3D to make dae file with I take into and Windows based games engine.

That´s why I mentioned the GLC-Player - install it on your PC grab the dae-file I uploaded to this thread and open it with the player. Please.

Cheers
Frank

ShiVa3D and the personal version is free. Unity will do it also, plus a bunch of other games engines. (check out my vimeo links below I show importing dae files).

Don't tell me Frank, you had great hair prior to yesterday when I started on this forum.. I tend to have that effect on people... Either send people crazy, mad, grey or I never hear from them again...:wink:

So.. I have put glc on my laptop and amazingly it works.. Now of course I have more and more questions for the guru you are.... I mean the grey haired guru you are.. :D

When I play a dae file on my Mac it opens a play window... is it possible that Windows can do this orrrrr.. even better can I make it play inside a html file without it opening the GLC software type interface.... Even though I think its great, some people might feel a bit intimidated by all the extra stuff so a simple player window would be much better much like the Mac window..I only need it to spin/rotate and scale.. This GLC_Player is just amazing... I should have realised there was a Windows version when I downloaded it and saw the .exe files... Since the demo robot is made in Vector graphic its just amazing how well it zooms in... I do not have a bitmap example to try...

The scanner I am thinking of buying creates a mtl texture file for rendering.. Will Cheetah import this file, if not, how do I convert it so it does... I checked out the help but cannot find what I am wanting to find out...

You do realise that if.... when I buy Cheetah.. you are stuck with me... hehe

Bye

Destiny...

Yes please - I´m already grey! :p

Already grey for many years now! So don´t worry about one or two more grey hairs.:p

I have no idea if something like preview.app exists on the Windowed side as the Collada support comes straight from Apples OS - i guess.

No luck with mtl. There was a script which is broken. If it´s a simple image you can load it manually by generating a new "material" and load the image into the "diffuse" channel and drag it onto the mesh in the object browser.

Cheers
Frank

Back