how to make the rotation center on a specific object?

how to make the rotation center on a specific object?

Hello,

There are several bottles in my project, and I would like to adjust them by rotation, but I found the rotation tool was out of the object, and the rotation center will always be focused on the center of scene. in this situation, any objects will only be rotated around that center point. please check the screenshot:

http://prntscr.com/kidxo6

Anyway to make the rotation tool back a specific object please?

Thanks

Alex

Go Tools->Coord System-> Center pivot point: OK
If its still not fitting your needs - there´s a pivot mode where you can adjust the pivot point wherever you like. To leave pivot mode choose another tool or the transform gadget.

Cheers
Frank

PS: You can upload your images directly in this forum BTW:

* You can also upload full .jas models if you are stuck with some detail / tool. They need to be zipped beforehand and there is a limit to the volume.

Go Tools->Coord System-> Center pivot point: OK
If its still not fitting your needs - there´s a pivot mode where you can adjust the pivot point wherever you like. To leave pivot mode choose another tool or the transform gadget.

Cheers
Frank

PS: You can upload your images directly in this forum BTW:

Hello,

Tools->Coord System-> Center pivot point: OK

That sound great way, but no that dialoge show up for me.

there´s a pivot mode where you can adjust the pivot point wherever you like.

This works for me, but I am really not sure whether the rotation center point is the exactly the center point of the object, since all of the position show 0 before enter pivot mode, anyway to make the center exactly match please?

By the way, I am Chinese and not familiar with these professional terms, and I think I will translate these terms into Chinese after I get myself familiar with terms.

Alex

Last edited:
Then hit additional OK at "Burn pivot point" to get the actual coords "burned in" at the Position properties.
You don´t get the tool panel show up? Strange.
BurnedPivot.png

Cheers
Frank

PS: quotes are set automatically or use [ QUOTE ]...[ /QUOTE ]

Last edited:
Then hit additional OK at "Burn pivot point" to get the actual coords "burned in" at the Position properties.
You don´t get the tool panel show up? Strange.

Cheers
Frank

PS: quotes are set automatically or use [ QUOTE ]...[ /QUOTE ]

Oh, this is great.

Great thanks.

Alex

I'm not getting it right. I select an object, see the transform tool, double-click it's center ball to make it turn blue. Then I move it where I want it to stay, then click Tools->Coord System-> Center pivot point: OK or Tools->Coord System-> Burn Transform: OK, or both. I select the same object, and the transform tool is right back where it was before I tried to make it go where I want it. Please help. Thanks.

You're trying to utilise the gadget mode but there's an explicit "Pivot"-mode for this purpose. Move the Transform-gadget in the mode to the place you want as a pivot point - then change back to object-mode to keyframe your rotation.
Or most simplest way in many cases - just add a Transform-modifier while your object is selected which will appear at the (weight-) center of your object automatically. Then keyframe the rotational values of that modifier.

Thanks, EllenM. I can make the Transform tool stay in the new place until I select something else, but I thought I could use coord system to lock the Transform tool (burn it) so that from that point on, it would be in the new location whenever I select the object. Is that incorrect?

* If used frequently, you can set a hotkey for pivot mode.
* When returning to object mode (or whatever), C3D saves the translocated pivot for any subsequent rotations.
* If required, you can re-centre the pivot point with the coord system tool or use the numeric parameters in the transform panel.
pivot.png

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm able to relocate the pivot point to center now, but I'm still not understanding how to make the transform tool stay where I put it for the current selected object or objects. This is what I'm doing:
1. select a mesh object in object mode
2. double-click the sphere inside the transform tool (it turns blue)
3. give the transform tool the proper orientation
4. double-click the blue sphere inside the transform tool to restore object mode, or not (it doesn't matter which of those actions I take).
5. Tools>coord system> click burn transform

As soon as I select Tools>coord system, the transform tool snaps back to the recently centered pivot point. Am I doing this in the wrong order? Leaving out one or more steps?

Let´s try again:
1. Select your object
2. Go in Pivot-mode (not Gadget-Mode!)
3. move Transform gadget to your point of interest
4. go Tools->Coord-System and hit OK at Burn Pivot Point
5. go back in Object mode - get Transform tool again to make your animation.
PivotMode.png

EllenM has it right, and I would like to add that Cheetah can have a separate center and pivot point.
If you move the pivot point and don't use Burn Pivot Point then compare the Transform Tools
xyz position with the objects position, you will see they don't match.
Now the object will pivot on the new point but if you add a modifier, it will be centered on the old point.

Thanks EllenM, ZooHead, and Helmut. I can follow your instructions, but I still have difficulty. For example, although I seem to be able to get expected results when setting the Transform gadget's position, I find myself unable to reset its orientation, no matter which reset button I use in Coord System. What am I missing about that?

I don't think that's easy to show the advantage from what he wants with a screen shot. It's about changing the axis of a mesh forth and back, in any direction you fancy at the moment.

As an example you could turn the axis, then use transform and just draw it straight in the new axis instead of fiddling with the right angle, then you change the axis again, transform straight into that direction etc.

I know this as action centers (with some other possibilities) in my main software which along with workplanes (a temporary change of the grid with a new center, based on a selection) really helps a lot with modeling faster. I use it all the time.

Maybe it's possible to do something via script where you could rotate the pivot along the axis chosen through a poly or a group of them.

This is meant to show my attempts to reset transform gadget using coord system. I'm not able to reset the orientation of the transform tool gadget.

Pivot_Transform_reset.gif

Back