Stuff behind transparent objects not receiving light in renderer?

Stuff behind transparent objects not receiving light in renderer?

Hi,

I'm rendering a scene.

Check out the toothbrushes. Even though the glasses they're in are transparent, they are very dark at the bottom.

The Camera has an HDRI and radiosity tag, and there are two additional lights in the scene simulating the artificial light from the indoor lamps.

Attachments

• compressed.jpg
    compressed.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 402

The Camera has an HDRI and radiosity tag, and there are two additional lights in the scene simulating the artificial light from the indoor lamps.

Try increasing the maximum Ray Depth.

Render -> Render Preferences -> Max. ray depth:

The default is 6 but you may need to increase this to get enough light through all the layers. Not sure if that is the problem here but worth a shot.

Ok, I changed it from 6 to 20 bounces (increasing the render time from about a minute to about one hour :D

there's slight difference now.

The inside of the glasses is brighter.

However, for some reason, the toothbrush itself got even darker :(

(first image is 20 bounces, second image 6 bounces, third image difference with some levels applied)

Attachments

• after.png
    after.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 364
  • before.png
    before.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 374
  • diff.png
    diff.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 390
this is just a guess, but do you have a render tag on your objects with 'visible in radiosity' Unchecked?

If not, give that a try.

--shift studio.

Ironically, I have another toothbrush problem now, but it's with Falcon.

Look at this badge I'm rendering: I'm trying to put a plastic cap onto the badge (refraction index 1.2).

In the Scene, it looks like this: There's a opaque lower badge and a transparent badge on top of it.

cheetahScreenshotSmall.png

When I render it, however, I see that. the closer the Badge is, the less light is on the badge:

transparency.gif

I already set all the bounces to 20 in the renderer and it doesn't help. Caustics are also enabled (although only "reflective caustics" are available). it looks like the light doesn't go through the object but the object perfectly refracts what's behind it.

Last edited:
Did you probably forget to enable "Raytrace+trans" at you light sources shadow settings?

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Raytrace+trans.gif
    Raytrace+trans.gif
    339.2 KB · Views: 270
Back