Transparency in Falcon

Transparency in Falcon

Hey folks

I'm having trouble with transparency.
Here is it :
I have a sphere in the belly of a Jeff Koons Dog.

Sphere is textured with with a glossy white texture.
Dog is textured with Glass.

Falcon render can't reach the sphere so it appears in black.
Cheetah does better (I can see reflections)... but still no texture (max ray depth : 8)

Ultimately, I want to render with falcon, and being able to see the texture of the sphere through the glass.

What am I missing?

Thank you!!!

G

Attachments

• Koons Falcon.jpg
    Koons Falcon.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 404
  • Koons Cheetah (8 max Ray depth).jpg
    Koons Cheetah (8 max Ray depth).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 395
Pretty sure this ain´t gonna work. Solid shader won´t penetrate translucent materials; we need mesh lights for it which aren´t available right now.
BUT - you can make/render your own HDR image from your scene (exclude cove and objects from rendering) and sert camera to do a panorama rendering at 16bits. Load the result as a HDRI-light source set to raytrace+trans shadow and crank up the intensity and you´re got to go:
(Or put area lights for each white plane as a light source.)

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• HomemadeHDRIlightsource.jpeg
    HomemadeHDRIlightsource.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 373
Hi,
a mesh + emissive material is quite different to an area light. For area lights Cheetah3D can use multiple importance sampling (MIS) and it can compute transparent shadows. Both of these things are not possible with emissive meshes, yet. But I will add that functionality in the not so distant future.

Support for proper mesh lights is very very high on my todo list.

Your scene should actually work with area light. It's strange that that's not the case. If you mail me the scene I will have a look into it.

Bye
Martin

Ha, it looks like Frank was faster than me.:redface:

The HDRI light workaround is a pretty clever idea.:icon_thumbup:

Bye
Martin

Hi,
a mesh + emissive material is quite different to an area light. For area lights Cheetah3D can use multiple importance sampling (MIS) and it can compute transparent shadows. Both of these things are not possible with emissive meshes, yet. But I will add that functionality in the not so distant future.

Support for proper mesh lights is very very high on my todo list.

Your scene should actually work with area light. It's strange that that's not the case. If you mail me the scene I will have a look into it.

Bye
Martin

Hey guys!
Worked like a charm!
I mixed HDRI and emissive light (for the shadow)
Thank you very much!!!

g

Attachments

• capture 2017-10-29 a? 12.45.28.jpg
    capture 2017-10-29 a? 12.45.28.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 376
Back