Junk Drawer Icon

Junk Drawer Icon

Whenever the crap on my Mac's desktop gets too horrible to contemplate, I shove it all in a folder (on my desktop) called "Desk Junk". Anyway, I was a bit bored this morning, and thought I'd make a nice icon for this folder.

Rendered using Falcon and the faux hdri from my book, materials were very simple texture maps downloaded from cgtextures.com (the junk in the drawer were from google image search and then given alpha channels very quickly using Acorn's instant alpha tools).

03e3fdd9e21c96a1ffa05e41138efb86--app-icon-app-ui.jpg

I should note that it was inspired by the above icon on Pinterest which I still like better than mine. Modeling and texturing the garbage in the drawer and doing a custom lighting setup would be simple ways to improve it. Also maybe the drawer handle is too chunky.

Attachments

• draver-icon-512.png
    draver-icon-512.png
    294.7 KB · Views: 920
  • junk-drawer-icon-512.png
    junk-drawer-icon-512.png
    337.7 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
Slightly different angle, single area light (with same HDRI, but much dimmer).

Attachments

• drawer-2-512.png
    drawer-2-512.png
    266.4 KB · Views: 509
  • junk-drawer-2-512.png
    junk-drawer-2-512.png
    308.4 KB · Views: 1,055
Nice drawer, in the 2nd a bit too shiny.

You really should model the junk and not pile it so high that one still can see the really nice inner texture of the pressed wood.

Very cool pod! I do the same, but name mine “To Sort”. I use to use CandyBar to change icons, but of course it doesn’t work with the newer Mac OS’s.

Back