Point Slide Snapping (to component)

Point Slide Snapping (to component)

It would be great for me if the Point Slide tool could be combined with the power of component snapping.

Do I need to make an illustration of what I mean?

Frank B pointed out that using the transform tool on points with 'orientation' set to 'normal' is a powerful substitute/better option than Point Slide. Often however the 'normal' orientation is not the orientation I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.
--shift studio.

p.s. really, let me know if I need an illustration of the idea.

Yes - please, because I´m under the impression you could use weld-to-point for that.

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank.
Sure I'll put an illustration together.
I'm not talking about welding, I'm talking about sliding a point along an edge to line up with some point on another edge.

--shift studio.

This means 2 points at the same place no? ;)
I need a pic here. :p

Cheers
Frank

nope, I want the points to be aligned along a single axis, but to remain on their own edge (remember the points in question are each on their own edge).

Here is a simple illustration of the idea. I want to 'slide' the circled point along it's edge, and have it aligned with the other point along the blue dotted line.

In a one-off case, there are a variety of ways to get what I require (boolean, geometry/trigonometry, project a spline - spline cut.js, etc).
BUT if I'm doing this all the time, and often, there are multiple points I want to 'slide' along multiple edges, this advanced version of point-slide would work well.

Know what I mean?

--shift studio.

Attachments

• pointslide-snapping.jpg
    pointslide-snapping.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 318
I start to think that it´s a non-trivial task.
Are you going to connect A+B points?
Then I guess an advanced scalpel tool will be a better option for an implementation; cutting parallel to edges.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• pointslide-snapping.jpg
    pointslide-snapping.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 310
this is a mesh I'm just building (see attached - and read requirements).

It would be easy to accomplish with a ring cut and a point slide WITH component snapping.

make sense?
There are other solutions as I mentioned above, but component snapping in point slide tool would be easiest I think.

Note, the angles in polygon B are not right angles (not 90°)

thanks for looking.
--shift studio.

Attachments

• pointslide-snapping2.jpg
    pointslide-snapping2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 304
I start to think that it´s a non-trivial task.
Are you going to connect A+B points?
Then I guess an advanced scalpel tool will be a better option for an implementation; cutting parallel to edges.

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank.
Yes, there would be an edge between points A & B. Trouble is this was a very simple case.
Sometimes I've built out a mesh, made all my ring cuts and scalpel cuts and later realise the points need to be aligned in some way... without changing the orientation of the paths the points are on.

Yes a parallel-to-edge scalpel would be nice, and I would use it too, but don't you think the Point Slide with Component snapping would be nice too?
I would use it for sure.... so it will stay on my wish list.

-shift studio.

Back