Boolean not working in 7.2.1?

Boolean not working in 7.2.1?

Can someone help check if the Boolean feature is working in 7.2.1?

I created two spheres and did a Boolean addition on them. However, when I rendered the scene, neither one of them was visible. Also, neither one of them was visible in the editor.

Thank you.

Here is a screenshot

Can we have a screenshot of your Boolean set-up (in the Object browser)?

Okay. Here is a screenshot of the Boolean situation.

Thank you.

Attachments

• boolean.png
    boolean.png
    459.5 KB · Views: 449
The hierarchy should look like this: first comes the main object - then you´ll add the modifier - then add the second object to the modifier.

Attachments

• BooleanModifier.png
    BooleanModifier.png
    44 KB · Views: 509
There are two Boolean objects in Cheetah3D 7. The old creator boolean object and the new modifier boolean object which works the way Frank described it.

If you are used to the old creator object workflow just use the boolean creator object.

Attachments

• Cheetah3DScreenSnapz001.jpg
    Cheetah3DScreenSnapz001.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 388
you're right Frank. Thanks!
Before I saw this, I did the boolean in Blender - with nice results

Hopefully Martin will look into that file too.

--shift studio.

I'm having no luck with a boolean operation too.
Both meshes are watertight. Tried creator, modifier and polygon tool.
Also tried the 'triangulate' option in the modifier.

The isosurface object creates water tight meshes but it is not guaranteed that the mesh is a manifold.

Your mesh is water tight but it's not a manifold. Cheetah3D is performing various tests before the mesh is sent to the carve CSG library (Blender uses the same CSG library as far as I know) to avoid problems. Especially non-manifold meshes can cause crashes.

If I disable the manifold safety check Cheetah3D performs your boolean operation too. But I prefer staying on the save side. No result is better than a potential crash.

Bye
Martin

Attachments

• Cheetah3DScreenSnapz002.jpg
    Cheetah3DScreenSnapz002.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 341
The isosurface object creates water tight meshes but it is not guaranteed that the mesh is a manifold.

Your mesh is water tight but it's not a manifold. Cheetah3D is performing various tests before the mesh is sent to the carve CSG library (Blender uses the same CSG library as far as I know) to avoid problems. Especially non-manifold meshes can cause crashes.

If I disable the manifold safety check Cheetah3D performs your boolean operation too. But I prefer staying on the save side. No result is better than a potential crash.

Bye
Martin

Interesting and thanks for looking at it!
Now I need to learn what manifold and non-manifold means :redface:

Thanks, Shift Studio.

I just recently upgraded from 5.8.1 (I know, I'm late to the party) and I'm having this problem as well.
I am having problems with booleans performed on beveled extrusions from a spline. Non-beveled extrusions work fine.

I had to look up what manifold/non-manifold geometry was (basically overlaps). It makes sense that the extrusion might not be manifold because of the way that the bevel pillows out from the shape, there are a lot of places it can overlap whenever there is a sharp concavity in the extruded spline.

Is there any way to fix this? Either by ensuring that an extruded beveled spline is manifold, or by dialing back on the manifold requirement?
I don't have this problem if I open the file in 5.8.1. Extruded svg splines are a big part of my workflow.

Thanks, -Matt

Back