Export UV map as .png file

Export UV map as .png file

I would like the option to export the UV map as a .png file, as some paint programs do not import .pdf files. Thanks

Frank's suggestion will be best for accuracy. For a quickie, try a screengrab of the uv workspace. Just make sure it's reasonably large. Use this method to capture to clipboard >>
To copy a portion of the screen to the clipboard, press Command-Control-Shift-4. A cross-hair cursor will appear and you can click and drag to select the area you wish to capture. When you release the mouse button, you can paste the screen shot to another application.

--shift studio

I know about Preview being able to do this but that means opening another software program adding steps to what would be an easier work flow. Krita, Artrage and a few other painting apps don't open pdf files.
Affinity Photo and Design and Pixelmator I believe, do open pdf files.
I just thought it would be nice to have save as png as an option when saving the UV map.

Yes - it´d be; ClipStudioPaint don´t open PDFs as well.:rolleyes:

Cheers
Frank

Owned CLIP STUDIO PAINT since it was (Manga Studio) I don't use it much though. Just thought I'd say....;)
I find myself using Clip Studio Paint EX more and more as compared to Affinity.

Last edited:
You can try to bake your mesh to UV1 with only AO enabled or an ambient light source for instance:
BakedUVs.jpeg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
I would like the option to export the UV map as a .png file, as some paint programs do not import .pdf files. Thanks

I'll add my vote to this option as well, although I'd consider it a low priority.

I bring UV maps into Photoshop CC, which can open PDFs, but I have to go through various steps before I get to an image of the appropriate size to use as a UV template.

It's not much of a hassle if I only have to do it a few times in a single day, but when I have to do it 20 or more times in a day, I start to really wish Cheetah could export UV maps as transparent PNGs that are already my preferred texture size (usually 2048x2048)!

Can’t preview do the conversion?

Yes, Preview can convert the PDF to a PNG, but it converts it to a 512x512 PNG, so you also have to resize it before you can use it as a texture template.

Because I use Photoshop, which can open PDFs, I can skip the step of using Preview to convert the PDF. But when I open the PDF in Photoshop, I still have to change the size and resolution and then save in Photoshop format before I can use the UV map as a texture template.

As I mentioned earlier, it's not much of a hassle if I only have to do it a few times in a day. But after doing it 15-20 times in a row, I can't help but wish that Cheetah offered the option to export the UV map as a PNG set to my preferred size.

However, in the grand scheme of things, I'd consider this a low priority for new features in Cheetah -- unless it's the sort of thing that would be very easy to implement!

Yes, Preview can convert the PDF to a PNG, but it converts it to a 512x512 PNG, so you also have to resize it before you can use it as a texture template.
That´s not true when you adjust the dpi for export:
144dpi=1024x1024px/288dpi=2048x2048px etc

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• UVresolution.png
    UVresolution.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
That´s not true when you adjust the dpi for export:
144dpi=1024x1024px/288dpi=2048x2048px etc
Where do you adjust the dpi for the export?

I'm usually pretty good at poking around an app to find options that aren't available in the Preferences, but I've never come across an option to adjust the dpi when I use "Save UV's to PDF." The only option I get is to name the file and choose its location. I can't choose a different format or enter a dpi or anything else like that. Maybe that's a special feature of the German version? :)

I created this automator app in five minutes. If you drag a PDF onto it, it exports it as a PNG at 200dpi in the blink of an eye. You can modify the resolution value to whatever you like (at 200dpi you get a 1422x1422 texture map.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 11.07.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 11.07.54 PM.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 458
Where do you adjust the dpi for the export?

He's talking about the preview app. In the export window, there, where you change to the desired format, you can (tadaa) change the dpi.

Usually I use photoshop. With pdf it can happen, at least to me, that the lines are a few pixels off. That can be adjusted back in cheetah. But still it would be nice to be able to choose from different formats in cheetah while exporting.

To be honest, the other way around, i. e. being able to export png but no pdf (or svg) would be much worse. It's at least a vector format.

He's talking about the preview app.

Not exactly.

In Automator there's a field you can type your desired dpi value into, or drag the slider. (It's using a Preview function, but it gets used as a service). It's quite clear in my screen cap.

Here's the resulting app — you can open it in automator and make adjustments yourself.

It's not quite clear from the GIF but I drag the PDF to the app and the png is created instantly.

Attachments

• automator.gif
    automator.gif
    349.8 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Not exactly

I was talking about preview app.

Sorry, I meant Frank with 'he'. He mentioned the preview app where you can export pdfs in any given resolution as a png.

So I don't really see the need for a little app, but at least it didn't take long to produce it.

I'll add my vote to this option as well, although I'd consider it a low priority.

I bring UV maps into Photoshop CC, which can open PDFs, but I have to go through various steps before I get to an image of the appropriate size to use as a UV template.

It's not much of a hassle if I only have to do it a few times in a single day, but when I have to do it 20 or more times in a day, I start to really wish Cheetah could export UV maps as transparent PNGs that are already my preferred texture size (usually 2048x2048)!

YEs Yes Yes!!! We (well) I want this..:smile:

Not exactly.

In Automator there's a field you can type your desired dpi value into, or drag the slider. (It's using a Preview function, but it gets used as a service). It's quite clear in my screen cap.

Here's the resulting app — you can open it in automator and make adjustments yourself.

It's not quite clear from the GIF but I drag the PDF to the app and the png is created instantly.
This is greatly appreciated. Thank you. I still wish UV maps could be saved as png's.

Back